This Sansevieria Cylindrica Skyline is of particular interest to me.
Its gray-green cylindrical leaves grow to 2-5 feet tall,
beginning with a thick base
and terminating to a pointy end like a spear.
Their fanning habit draws the eye.
Notice the light banding on each leaf.
I knew nothing of this plant when I spotted it last year but instantly fell in love with its unusual appearance. I was so pleased when I noticed a bloom spike a couple of months ago.
It blooms once a year
in the spring or mid-summer.
Although we are officially still experiencing winter,
the temperatures have been relatively mild.
The 1 inch blooms are tubular with a pinkish tinge.
Pretty!
Another unusual and showy succulent bloom
is the Kalanchoe daigremontiana, or Mother of Thousands.
From above, the show is not very impressive,
although the base has an interestingly waxy look.
The show is from underneath! Stunning!
The plant itself is interesting, too.
The leaves have a striped or mottled look.
It produces hundreds or thousands (thus it's namesake)
of babies from the tips of each leaf point.
The babies fall off and root where they fall.
I don't have a good photo of the babies
but you can see a picture of them by clicking here.
Understandably, this plant must be kept under control.
Another in bloom right now is the lovely Kalanchoe pinnata.
These lantern-like blooms mesmerize me
with their lovely pink/red/green color
while dangling daintily from their stems.
This is the source of the pretty lanterns or pinatas.
This plant multiplies and grows fast,
demanding careful control like its relative above.
The Kalanchoe pinnata is designated as an invasive in Hawaii.
One other succulent
that is blooming in my yard is this beauty.
I looks like a Kalanchoe to me, but I don't know its name.
The delicate little buds open
to expose a protruding stamen.
Again, I enjoy the green and pink colors
of the blooms, along with the clustering effect!
And this is the actual plant
that produces these pretty blooms.
Given to me by a friend, this plant enjoys
a lovely location in a pot
that sits in an old wicker chair
near a bird bath and feeder.
The stems, now joined by the sweet blooms,
cascade over the front of the chair
providing a peaceful view
from my kitchen window.
Changing the subject,
I had to check out the status of my landscape
after some rather chilly nights.
Some cold sensitive plants
have a few crispy leaf edges
such as my new Stromanthe along the front steps
and some of the gingers.
The edible ginger shriveled right up,
although I'm hoping it'll return from the ground.
Other plants lost leaves
such as the hibiscus
but are already producing fresh growth.
I was pleased to find my
Encyclia tampensis
looking rather healthy.
Since this variety of orchid
is native to Florida,
there is little fear of losing it to a chill,
especially in my zone (10a).
This youngster seems quite happy
where I found it, snuggled
in the boot of a cabbage palm.
It's rooting nicely to the trunk.
I can't wait for it to mature
and produce its magnificent blooms!
The chill didn't effect these bromeliads in bloom.
And my Nepenthes
that I had placed under a Saw Palmetto stand
as a last ditch effort is actually coming back to life!
It was not phased in the least
by our low 40's.
In fact, it seems to like it.
It's producing new growth!
And the existing growth is a beautiful green,
although there is no sign of pitchers yet.
I'm hoping it will recuperate and return to its original beauty!
One last update...
in South Florida, we are now in our dry season.
Not too long ago
during an unusually wet late fall,
many of my plants were struggling for life,
drowning as the pond overflowed its banks.
Now, only a couple of months later,
the pond has receded tremendously!
Just last fall...
I made an emergency "save"
as I dug up a newly planted bromeliad
that is NOT appreciative of soggy conditions,
let alone standing water!
While I enjoy a mild winter
I am aware that many of my friends
are experiencing cold temperatures
and tundra-like conditions.
Spring is just around the corner!!
14 comments:
Hi Kimberly ~ I believe I have everything except for the FL native orchid, and the pitcher plant. Where can you get the native orchid?
It is very dry down here, s.e. zone 10, and I've been having to hand water things. We did get a tiny bit of rain last night, but not enough to really do any good.
Keep enjoying this beautiful weather we are having. It is fantastic.
FlowerLady
Wonderful structural plants to have around!
Hi, FL! So nice to hear from you. You have the Sanseviaria? Isn't it the coolest plant?!
I've been hand watering too. As my pond shows, there's been no rainfall.
Regarding the Encyclia tampensis, I've been so fortunate to have found this in my tree. It's the second time since I've moved to Florida. The specimen has been a seedling in both instances, so it'll take a while for it to mature, but that's OK! However, I belong to a local orchid society and I can check with the members to see if anyone has one for sale, if you'd like.
Yes, loving this weather! Enjoy!
Thank you, Rohrerbot! I enjoy them.
It's an early Spring in Ireland too. Sweet Cicely in flower in the garden today!
Hi Kimberly; you have a wonderful garden. Yes, we experience these flukes of nature too, from hot and dry to very wet or floods. At the moment it is raining, but it was getting precariously dry so this rain is welcome. Lovely succulents, I like them too. All the best, I will be around even if I do not leave a message! T♥
Hi Kimberly...I have become addicted to succulents, and I, too, am surprised that they do so well here. I love that round sandseveria. I just saw one of those today and admired it. It's very unique.
Love that pitcher plant! And the mother-of-thousands, although I wouldn't want thousand of baby plants coming up! Always interesting to visit your part of the country.
Kimberly, I hope your edible ginger bounces back. I've always wanted to grow that, but we lack the heat for it. I also hope your bromeliad is happier now that it's on higher ground. It's a good thing you built that bridge! ;)
You've got some beautiful blooms in your garden! The kalanoches are my favorites, the only one I don't have and haven't seen before in the pinnata. I will definifely be looking for that one to add to my collection. i think the kalanchoe that you don't have a name for is a kalanchoe scallop. Mine hasn't bloomed yet, but now I'll be on the lookout! Your pitcher plant is darling.
Kimberly, your plants are incredible to me - it's like you live in a whole other world, you gardens are so exotic! I have inherited another new bromeliad in the office, and it reminds me of you & your gardens. I just love it! :)
You're getting quite a succulent collection going there. I have begun to appreciate them more too. I am making an area with various different versions of the "mother-in-law tongue" type. Mine have bloomed similarly to yours and they are fragrant at night. I've never seen that cylindrical shape before - Cool.
Hello from Orlando :-)
love the Kalanchoes and tried to grow them but they did not make it for me. I keep them too wet, I am sure.
Love the Sansevieria flower, mine never bloomed for me.
Thank you, I enjoy your blog, and added you to my link list :-)
Happy Gardening,
Evelyn
beautiful! Zone 10 has some absolutely killer blooms as your gardens attest! I'll be a regular visitor to your blog for sure!!
Post a Comment