Saturday, April 10, 2010

What's Next Madonna?

My front entry garden is host to a number of beautiful tropical varieties that cheerfully welcome all as they pass by on their way to the front door.  The Agave Americana is among this elite group of greeters.  I planted it as a young pup a little over 3 years ago and watched it mature to a lovely lady. Last fall, she surprised me by donning herself with an amazing floral shoot.  (I recorded these events last fall in my blog at DigtheDirt.com, Another Day in Paradise )



As I've had no prior experience with the lovely Agave, I felt compelled to conduct a bit of research.  Interestingly, I discovered the agave is also known as the "century plant" due to their long life span (15-20 years...not a century?!?!) who's end becomes a glorious show of blooms decorating a tall asparagus-style stalk for 2-3 months. 



The yellow blossoms attract hoards of bees!  The scene is truly a spectacle as the bees loudly buzz about, oblivious to their audience.


Per usual, all good things must come to an end.  We cut down the stalk as it began to deteriorate and waited for the decline of the stately agave, which brings us to the current state of events.  As I inspected this lovely lady in the latter days of her life, I've noticed something new and unexpected.  A bloom?



The pups well protected by their loving mama are sending up similar shoots, copying the behaviors of their guardian.





What's going on?!?!  I'm constantly surprised by this mysterious specimen.   Either I'm very inexperienced with this variety (well, this is a fact, not a question) or she is a master at the unexpected and is reinventing herself.  I might name her "Madonna".


Does anyone know what is going on with my elusive lady?

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your tropical garden Kimberly.. Its so beautiful and well kept..
And your photographs show it so well...
Have a nice weekend.
Costas

Steve Asbell said...

Woah, thats wierd! I can't say I really know whats going on with Madonna! I used to have a pet iguana named Madonna...

Simply Deb said...

Did you plant lisianthus last year? The leaves look similar.

That century plant is awesome! I had one, but I gave it away, because I'm not patient enough to wait 15 years for it to bloom. LOL

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly, How utterly fascinating. I have always believed, or been led to believe, that an Agave would, as you say, die after flowering. Perhaps this is not the case or it sets seed beforehand so that, in a sense, it survives. It will be most interesting to see what happens.

Gary said...

What a wonderful post, and truly a beautiful specimen Agave! You have a lovely garden!

Alice Joyce said...

Wowsa! What would we do without our gardens to delight, challenge and perplex us;-D
Keep us posted on this century plant, Kimberly. Your Agave has a starring role, for sure, much like Madonna.
(I've got quite a bit of hard work ahead today, putting the garden back together for outdoor fun.) Cheers, Alice

Noel Morata said...

aloha,

that is a very strange occurance...and only in your garden...enjoy it!

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Interesting. Although I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to any desert plants. Maybe Noelle will stop by and explain to us what's going on? I'm curious...

Rosie leavesnbloom said...

Noelle would probably be the best person to give you an answer Kimberly. I have no experience with agaves but from other commentators yours is quite unusual. Have a lovely weekend. :) Rosie

sanddune said...

Kimberly,
The answer is quite simple. You live in South Florida. This means that none of the printed plant facts apply here. Best to shake your head and count your blessings :-]

Floridagirl said...

I always say, Some things are just too wonderful to question. I'd bet Noelle of "Ramblings from a Desert Garden" could help you. She is an expert on desert plants.

NanaK said...

That is an interesting plant for sure. At least there are babies if mama does die. You have it sited perfectly to enjoy that stunning bloom.

Jayne said...

How very interesting. I know nothing about agaves so I can't help you out, all I can do is admire!

Amy said...

Hi, Kimberly ~ I really like agaves. I just added a century plant last summer.
At first, I though that was a small tree by yours. :) That shoot is amazing. I like all your tropicals!

Gail said...

You might check with Pam/Digging she has quite a collection and seems to know about their usual and unusual behaviors! gail