Have you ever thought of the number of trees you've planted? I have planted so many but have not kept track of the exact quantity. It brings great joy to know I've planted something that will help sustain life in so many different ways for ages to come. If attempting to minimize our carbon foot print, or to be good stewards of the world that has been given to us to manage, or just for fun, it's always a great time to plant a tree!
When planting a tree, I typically plant those that are already somewhat established, even if only one year old. However, a couple of years ago, I planted two Queen Palms from seed.
I soaked the seeds overnight then planted in a pot.
A few months later...
Little shoots popped up from the seed pod.
Once they got a little stronger, I moved them from the pot to the ground.
Queen Palms are also known as Cocos Plumosa.
The Queen is native to the South American woodlands
of Brazil and Argentina. It is reportedly a fast grower
(I beg to differ...its idea of fast growing and mine are
two completely different things, apparently!).
The tree can grow to 50 feet tall and is cold tolerant to 25F.
They are also an inexpensive palm tree,
so growing them from seed is really just a fun project
and an exercise in patience.
This is what they look like today.
Seriously, this is not a great example of a fast grower,
in my humble opinion.
One day, my little trees might look like this...
However, the next time I plan on planting a tree,
I'll consider purchasing an established variety.



21 comments:
It does take awhile for trees to grow from seed. I think it's neat seeing the progress of your little queen so far. I wonder how long it takes for them to get as big as the one you posted the picture of.
Happy Gardening in this gorgeous weather we are enjoying.
FlowerLady
Slow grower indeed! I had one pop up from seed planted by critters or the wind...hmmm...about three years ago. It is now a stringy two-feet tall. Pitiful. I do see them often in disturbed areas and woodlands around my neck of the woods, so I know they must be pretty vigorous. Wonder if they are invasive. I decided to leave my little seedling in my garden, as I noticed that the queens stayed green when so many other palms turned brown these past two winters. But I have been tempted a few times to rip it out and replace it with a $10 queen from Lowe's. ; )
That tree looks great for growing from a seed. I've been working on a "special" indoor variety of orange (since I live in NC) - it's supposed to reach "mature bearing-size" in 3 years, but after 2 years, it's barely 12 inches tall.
I'm going to tell my parents about the queen palm from a seed. I think they enjoy trying it (their home is in Rotunda, FL - so shoud do fine in their weather).
Looks like the palm is doing pretty well. I left some native sprouts that I would have pulled out before after seeing one of your previous posts showing a small Foxtail palm sprout. I think the sprouts are little Foxtails. They looked the same to me. It will be interesting to watch them and see what they grow into.
Interesting experiement! I wanted to plant more plam trees along the lake of my backyard, but don't want to spend much. Hmmm, I do want to find some fast growers and cold hardy ones. Palm tree is always on my option list for this reason. Maybe your seedling just need more time to establish before they take off for the speedy growing?
I love the thought of free plants. Your little guys will be big in no time. Many times they will tell you that if you bought a larger tree (that has been in a pot for a while) and plant it the same time as a younger tree (less time in the pot) that they will be the same size within 3 years.
Growing palms from seeds is definitely an exercise in patience. You'll be proud of those beauties when they've taken on some height.
They really are fast growers once they get started, and I'm glad that you had the thrift and patience to grow some from seed. An even more tropical substitution is the Mule palm, which is a hybrid between the queen and pindo! Its also much hardier.
I've planted a few trees, but I've never had the patience to try and grow one from seed. I hope your queen palms do well.
Your baby palms will be so interesting to watch as they mature. If you remain in your current gardening spot it will be very special to see huge palms where once those little seedlings were. You are growing memories as well as trees.
Dear Kimberly, The planting of trees is always, in my view, to be commended as I think that trees are the purest form of gardening. But, planting a tree from seed, now that is optimism indeed. I wish you many happy years of watching your seedling trees grow!
I am such a tree person and love this post! We had ZERO trees on our lot and believe me, I am trying to be patient. I planted a pin oak (from a container) - MUCHO patience - in fact I may be dead by the time it reaches its prime. I did buy one well established tree - the blue spruce - but all the others are from root stock or seedlings that have obligingly popped up. I will think of you watching those palms grow as I watch mine grow - ever so slowly.
I'm not sure I'd have the patience to start a tree from seed, but your palms are looking great! How fun that one day, when they're taller than you, you'll be able to look back on this post and see just how far they've come!
It is good you are young. Trees from seed do seem to take a while. Kudos for starting your palm. Many trees grow a foot a year, but it sounds like palms grows much slower. It will be fun to watch its progress and you have your post as proof someday when the palm is towering.
Kimberly, This is so way cool. Did I really say that... well it is great that you have planted what will someday be such a fabulous Queen! ;>)
I guess everything is relative especially calling palms fast growing. But I find the plants I'm most proud of are the one I started from seed or cuttings.
Hi Kimberley,
It's always a great pleasure to start something from seed, and a tree, well it doesn't get much better than that!
Kimberley, remember that size isn't everything. That's what people keep tellimg me, before laughing loudly!
Planting from seed? It takes a nutter....
That little seedling might just take off some day and live up to its reputation as a fast grower. It's still a toddler after all.
Clearly it is an exercise in patience! But it must have been very exciting when the first leaves appeared.
Lucy
Post a Comment