Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Starting Fresh!

Starting all over again in a deeper zone means learning all over again, too.  In 2005, my family and I relocated from our Midwestern home in USDA hardiness zone 5a to southeast coastal zone 9b.  We were in tropical heaven!  But I soon learned the major gardening differences between the two drastically different zones.  In fact, most everything I planted within my first 6-8 months experienced something similar to spontaneous combustion!  Thankfully I'm a quick study and learned about the heat zones as well as irrigation and soil differences.  When I finally felt I had a handle on the situation, we decided to relocate. 

The new house!

That's, OK, though...we just moved a little south to beautiful, tropical zone 10a. 

Unusual architecture, but what did you expect from me?!?!

No big deal, right?  WRONG!!!!

I've noticed two major differences so far...
I'm closer to the coast now so my "soil" is sand...seriously. 
And because of that, any type of irrigation seems fruitless
The water just flows straight through to the water table 
only a foot or two below. 
This has made gardening quite the challenge,
but all the more important to follow
"Florida Friendly" rules of engagement.
My new plantings take so much water with the sandy soil...
I've had to put the breaks on new additions.

On the bright side...
I was worried that after dividing, transplanting, and freezing temperatures,
some of the plants I brought from my previous home
would not make it.
However, I've seen signs of HOPE!!!


Back in December, the frost hit the newly divided and transplanted
bananas really hard.  They all shriveld to brown stalks.
I thought the shock was too much for them.


3 months later, they're popping their tropical heads up again!

 The Epidendrom orchids I received from my friend,
Adina at Manure Depot,
is sending up new shoots and seems to be thriving!

The Costus Ginger I planted here was really sad...but...


They're popping up from the ground...


As well as from the stalk!
My Slipper Plant, or Devil's Backbone, Jacob's Ladder,
Red Bird Cactus or officially Pedilanthus tithymaloides,
has lost all its leaves exposing it's crooked spine.

However, the leaves are starting to return and
BEHOLD.....


It's blooming for the very first time!!! 
The flowers resemble small slippers or bird beaks.


However, approximately 30 feet away,
a couple of crinum lilies struggle in their new home.


While another crinum planted within 10 feet
is showing remarkable resilience!

You can see the struggling crinums to the left in this photo.

My Mother of Thousands,
or Kalanchoe crenato-daigremontiana,
is in BEAUTIFUL bloom!


They actually adore the sandy soil!!


The show is definitely from below...


Another surprise is the Heliconia.
I sincerely thought it was lost.


Both the larger form as well as the
 dwarf version, Mini Me, have survived!


Finally, the bloom that currently puts a smile on my face every day
is my amazingly beautiful Christieara orchid!


I purchased this prize at an orchid sale last year.
It's official name is Chtra. Sharifa Alsagoff.
Chtra. is the accepted abbreviation for the genus Christieara,
a cross of three genera: Aeridies x Ascocentrum x Vanda.


There's no way to stifle a smile when greeted by such velvety cheer!

I'm excited to see how the new Garden in Paradise will evolve!

23 comments:

Unknown said...

After moving my greenhouse from 8b to 7b and 4 days of below freezing temps with ice and snow (freek storm) I have lost 99% of my plants. I have one heirloom (rustled) crinum that I keep squeezing like an avocado to see if it is still alive. My fingers are crossed. So glad to see you have wintered so well in your new home.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a wonderful new home you have. I love the architecture, really cool. Since you have just moved, give yourself and your gardens TIME.

Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

Steve Asbell said...

So beautiful! I have the opposite problem as you when it comes to soil, since I'm adjacent to a seasonally flooded swamp. That reed stem epidendrum should be able to take the sandy soil though: I've heard they can live on the other side of beach dunes!

Anonymous said...

Very cool house. Hope you are blessed in your new abode.

Ami said...

Wow, love the architecture of your new house! Beautiful! Take your time while you build the garden in your new house. But I also know for a eager gardener like you, you just can not slow down your digging in your garden :) Will follow on your progress!

Ami said...

Oh, I really love love your blue orchid, my favorite color!

Stacy said...

The architecture looks perfect for enjoying FL weather, with all those wonderful windows. When I lived in FL I couldn't believe how much people had to water, since it rained buckets every afternoon all summer, but you're right - it just goes right on through. :/ Congratulations on your survivors! That Mother of Thousands is GORGEOUS.

Unknown said...

Where can I find the perfect middle between your sand and my clay? Because I will move there tomorrow. Great post, happy to see all the successes and enjoy the never ending "learning".

Jayne said...

Wow - what a lovely home you have, and how exciting to see all the signs of new growth in the garden. I too would like my garden to be a mixture of your sand and my clay. Would be the perfect garden!

Meems said...

Kimberly,
That sandy soil is a huge challenge. But like you said there are many plants that thrive in your climate and sandy soil. Right plant-right place. You are going to have so much fun figuring it all out... again. :-)
Meems

Unknown said...

Isn't it fun to have a blank canvas to work with? You're gonna have so much fun.
Love the new house!

NanaK said...

Your new home is beautiful. How fun to be able to start fresh. Another zone, another type of soil, you'll get it all figured out and have paradise again. In zone 10 you should have lots of bananas! Seeing your costus branching out from the stem is amazing. I have several different types of costus and have never seen that happen. Happy gardening.

Kyna said...

What a cool looking house! :D Glad some of your transplants survived after all.

I hear ya about living close to the coast. My soil is a mixture of sand and heavy clay, depending on where you dig in it.

HolleyGarden said...

From everything I've read, zone 10 is completely different as far as growing most plants. It's a little too warm for a lot of things, yet the plants that grow there are gorgeous, colorful, and lush. Good luck and have fun finding new tropical beauties for your new garden!

Susan said...

It's amazing how different gardening can be in different parts of Florida, but I know you will be a quick learner and your garden will be overflowing with greenery and flowers very soon. I foresee a lot of compost in your future. Good luck!

Diana Studer said...

Love to watch a new garden develop. Armchair gardening ;~) You'll need a new wish list of lovely plants who will love your garden.

Carolyn @ Carolyn's Shade Gardens said...

I really admire the way you have adapted to your moves and stepped up to the plate to learn how to garden all over again. Your plants are beautiful, and the signs of survival must be uplifting.

Jess said...

Look at all that space you have for experimentation!!!!

Andrea said...

Oh how beautiful your new home is, very unique and artistic. In a little while it is already super-imposed with lovely blooms in your garden. That Christiara is very beautiful, i once have the red, which already died. Happy gardening. It somehow will be a great job ahead.

Dave@Gardening On a Dime said...

Cool house...and a fresh start with new challenges. Congrats! I agree with Susan....compost, compost.....and more compost.

Carol said...

Dear Kimberly, I have been amiss . . . I had no idea you had left your paradise! I can imagine your joy at seeing the new life emerging from your beloved plants. Congratulations on your new home! Happy Home and gardens!! I love the design of your house. You will be busy learning and trying new things. Life is more interesting that way! I look forward to seeing your new garden grow. Best of luck with it all!

Alice Joyce said...

Playing catch-up here with blogs to come upon the 'new look' here... and home!
An impressive layout, Kimberly.
(I follow most often on Blotanical, although in my Reader, too.)
all best!
Alice
aka Bay Area Tendrils

Nell Jean said...

So much to see and do at your place! Gardening in a sandpile is a challenge but you'll figure it out.