Monday, July 4, 2011

Progress Report - No Macros This Time!

I've been terribly negligent with my blog these days.  A new job and the start of the rains (which translates to  weeds that turn into trees overnight if left unattended) has left little time for blogging.  I've managed to snatch a little bit of time...not sure where it came from but I'm not going to question the gift! 

For the sake of journaling progress, I thought I'd take a detour from my usual macro celebration of blooms and focus on the broader landscape.  Having spent the last 7 months clearing the property and planting new, "prettier" specimens (albeit small and immature), the view is quite different from when we first moved in last fall.  Of course, the landscape was quite full after the rainy season at that time, and the current photos show the property in the middle of a severe drought.  Nevertheless...



The front of the house the day we purchased it.



The front and side yards from the driveway entrance.


The view of the pond from the side of the house. We could hardly see the neighbors across the street!



This view of the pond is from the front looking toward the backside of the property.


This is what I call the front side yard. The pond is to the right in this photo.



This view is from the far front side corner looking back at the house. 
The pond is to the left, although not shown in this shot.


This is the back of the house, where the pool will go, hopefully next year.



This is the view from the front of the house looking out into the front yard.  The pond and side yard are to the right of this view and the property entrance/shed are to the left.  This space was cleaned up and pruned, and has become the "Bromeliad Island".


Here is the view of the property as you enter through the front gate. 
We still do not have a driveway, which is on the 2012 plan.



Finally, this is how the property looked from the outside corner. 
The "front side yard" is on the other side of this overgrown fence row. 
Although pretty and lush, most of the shrubs and tree pictured here
are highly invasive.  Beside the fact that they
hide the beautiful native Sabal Palms and Slash Pines.
Following are photos of the property in it's current state,
before the rains (parched dust bowl!),
but mostly cleared of nasty, aggressive weeds and trees.


This is the outer corner, cleared of all invasive trees, shrubs, and nasty thorny vines.
It will be replaced with a native ground cover such as beach sunflower. 
Young bushes (Firebush, Hibiscus, Ligustrum and a Mango tree)
have been planted on the other side of the fence
that will mature into an attractive, Florida Friendly hedge. 


This view shows the newly erected dock that will be just at water level after a few weeks of rains, believe it or not. (To date, the water has already reached the first posts of the dock!)  Notice the fence row at the back side of the property - you can actually see the fence and the neighbor behind.  Although too small to notice in this picture, the right side of this photo is the "edible" area where the veggie gardens are housed along with pineapple and citrus trees (Ponderosa lemon and naval orange - the bananas died but will be replaced).  The backside of the pond, along the fence, is the future home for a lovely weeping Bottlebrush tree.  The back corner of the pond will feature a mulberry tree.



Looking at the property from the front entrance,
I've cut out various garden spaces, primarily around existing tree clusters. 
As these spaces mature and grow, they will fill in nicely,
creating natural walking paths rambling throughout the property,
in between the flower beds.


This is the "Bromeliad Island" which also houses numerous orchids. 
The Island is the first garden space you see as you leave the house. 


This is the front side of Bromeliad Island, as seen from the street.


This fence was not visible before.  We've cleared and cut,
leaving a clean fence row, and planted young flowering bushes and shrubs,
all Florida Friendly, of course. 
Once mature, the fence will diminish amidst the evergreen foliage
and bright blooms of Shrimp Plant, Firebush, Cassia, Powderpuff, and Hibiscus.  


This section of fence row is directly in front of the house
and is home to the newly formed Butterfly Garden 
as well as a nicely groomed Saw Palmetto stand
featuring a sea of Caladiums (at least it will be a "sea" in a year or two
after the bulbs multiply and I add another 2 dozen or so). 
As with the other garden spaces, I expect this area to mature
and grow wider, naturally reducing the amount of lawn but leaving 
rambling pathways to meander through the garden.  
The Butterfly Garden includes Milkweed, Black and Blue Salvia,
Clerodendrum speciosissimum, Ruellia, Pentas and red Porterweed.  



This is a broad view of the front side yard after clearing the fence row of weeds, unwanted trees and stumps.  The foundation for the yard is made up of native Slash Pines and Sabal Palms with a couple of Saw Palmetto stands (also native).  Beauty Berry and Lantana grow freely as well, but were victims of the clearing process since it was very difficult to discriminate during the clean up.  However, they are growing back with ease and will help naturalize the new plants and garden spaces. 

Following is an incomplete list of specimens I have added to the landscape thus far:

Crinum Lily, Plumbago, various Bromeliad / Tillandsia, Agave, Devil's Backbone / Slipper Flower, Croton, Frangipani / Plumeria, various succulents, Ti Plants, Azalea, Staghorn Fern, Birds Nest Fern, Yucca, various Orchids including terrestrial orchids, Heliconia, Angelonia, Mexican Heather, Caladiums, Milkweed, Salvia, Clerodendrum, Pentas, Ruellia, Porterweed, Hibiscus, Cassia, Queen Palms (from seed), Night Blooming Cereus, Firecracker Plant, Costus Ginger, Powderpuff, Cape Honeysuckle, Dwarf Poinciana, Firebush, Mango, White Bird of Paradise, Orange Bird of Paradise, Xanadu, Purple Queen, Crossondra, Pencil Cactus, Ligustrum, Iris, Canna, Elephant Ear, Aloe, Bougainvillea, Black Eyed Susan Vine, Amaryllis, Rain Lily, Easter Lily, Agapanthus, Spider Lily, various Day Lily, Liriope, various Bamboo, Pineapple, Ponderosa Lemon, Naval Orange, Mulberry, Passion Vine, Snake Plant (Sansevieria trifasciata), Mission Fig, and Ponytail Palm.

  This is a big list. 
However, it's just the beginning, as I am a hopeless
collector, hoarder, plantaholic, etc.  I have a long wish list!  

Finally, BIG NEWS!!! 
Gina, one of our hens, has started laying eggs!! 
Here's her first egg at 5 months old.



She's laying one per day right now, and we're still waiting on Penny. 
Cameron, the unexpected rooster,
has started to find his voice and is crowing more consistantly now.


They enjoy their days finding as many bugs as possible
and are quite effective in our war against the lubbers. 
I found them romping about the dry, grassy pond bank in this photo.

So, progress continues in my ever-developing Garden in Paradise!!
 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the big view and your property is so large. Bromeliad Island was a favorite and wish I could grow one. Amazing the work we do to make a house a home. We did not have a drive either, just a mess of broken asphalt and gravel. No greenery either. Just grass.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a great piece of property, and it's looking good with all of the clearing out and replanting that you and your DH are doing. Your front fence hedgerow will look wonderful when all of those shrubs grow, fill out and bloom, a nice variety.

The rain has been great, except for the fact that things definitely start growing like weeds so need pruning, weeds grow too, and I need a couple of sunny days to wash and hang out laundry. :-) BUT, I am THANKFUL for the rain.

Enjoy your growing and ever expanding Garden in Paradise.

FlowerLady

Kathy said...

What a beautiful home and property. I look forward to seeing everything fill in. What hard work you have accomplished already clearing, pruning and planning the space. I love bromeliad island - very cool!

HolleyGarden said...

Let me say - Wow! You have a big property and will have so much fun putting in gardens! You've already done a lot of work! Amazing about the pond filling up so much! That will be lovely. Congrats to Gina, too. :)

greggo said...

looks like mosquitoes to me.

Kimberly said...

Greggo, you are soooooo right!! We take measures, but the worst area is by the chickens and compost where it's shady and a bit moist all the time. I won't go near the area without being covered head to toe. We treat the pond, so it's actually not so bad in that area. I'm not big on chemicals, but I'm going to give that mosquito clip a try (I think it's "Off").

africanaussie said...

wow I an see why you have not had time to blog! That is great to have before shots. I just had a 2 year blogaversary and compared where my garden was 2 years ago. You have lots of lovely trees which will act as foundations for little gardens. Lovely idea to have little gardens to ramble around

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

What a fun post! I was tired just looking at the clearing you had to do. We've a lot clearing of dead trees and weeds here, in fact it seems like a never ending project. So glad you've managed to get to plant some things too though, and all the work you've done to remove the nasties and invasives will more than pay off down the road. I can't believe your hen is laying eggs already! You're right, it has been a while since you posted! ;) Congratulations Gina!

Unknown said...

I am drooling with envy!All that grass to dig up,and plant with all kinds of neat things.
Can't wait to see what you do with all that bounty!
Didn't know chickens would eat lubbers.Wish I could have them-the chickens that is.I got lubbers.

Andrea said...

Wow that is a large area to manage, i can imagine the man-hours to be invested there! We have large areas here too, but we just left those areas on their own, just tend a clearing near the house. All the rest are just underbrushed once-in-a while. It really is time consuming. And we have lots of chickens too, goats, cats and dogs. And Greggo is right, mosquitoes!

NanaK said...

What a huge amount of work you've been doing! I especially enjoyed hearing your plans for each area. It's so nice to have those designated gardens. I name all my areas too, though I don't have nearly the space you do. Looks great and it is going to be so fun to watch it all mature.

Congratulations on the new job btw.

Noel Morata said...

aloha friend,

wow a new home, how exciting and it looks like alot of land too! i've been unblogging for awhile to, but i've just created a new e-journal, come visit when you get a chance

when the pool comes in, time for a party right?

Jayne said...

Wow - I can't believe how much work you have done! And your property seems huge. I can't wait to see it develop :-)

Susan said...

You have a wonderfully LARGE space in which to indulge your green thumb. It looks so neat and green now. Can't wait to see how it evolves over the years.

Candice Suter.....Sweetstuff said...

Oh my goodness your property is so huge. You have done a tremendous job clearing everything out. It will look amazing when you are finished and your plants have taken hold. Love the bromeliad island!

Jean Campbell said...

Did you surprise yourself when you listed all the plants? You've really been busy. Gardening in Paradise never ends.

Shyrlene said...

AWESOME post!!!! You have done an amazing job clearing the property from invasive growth and your list of new additions is nothing short of miraculous. Wow! (so glad you had a break in the busy world to touch base with your blog buddies and avid readers)