One of my favorite things to do is walk about my garden first thing in the mornng. I love to see what surprises await me in the garden; what is new in bloom; what wildlife I might see; the dew on the spiderwebs. This is what I found this morning.
This bloom(s) of the Oyster Plant, Moses in a Basket, or officially Tradescantia spathacea, is really precious! So many tiny blooms held snuggly in this one bract. The dwarf version is non-invasive.
This bright red Bromeliad bloom looks like a candle flame!
The early blooms of my Rosella are easiest to spot while their blooms are lighter in color than their leaves. As the bloom ages, it darkens and is difficult to see among the same colored leaves.
I recently moved a potted King's Mantle, or Thumbergia erecta, to a newly built deck on the west side of the house. It is blooming like crazy in its new, sunnier location!
I know many people in South Florida do not appreciate Lantana. However, I love it as do the butterflies.
My very young Kent mango tree is in bloom!
Although small, the Jatropha bloom is stunning, I think.
This Swamp Tickseed, or Coreopsis, grows wild in my yard and along my roadside. I purposely mow around them.
My Cape Honeysuckle is recovering nicely from the soggy fall when I feared I had lost it!
This little lizard blends so nicely with a stake in the garden. Although cute, alas, the brown species is taking over the green.
I planted some lavendar in the butterfly garden to help hide the horrible "sticks" of milkweed necessary for Monarch larvae. I love the addition!
This pure yellow Hibiscus has not yet bloomed...give it an hour or so.
After no blooms for the last month, the Purple Showers, or Ruellia, is blooming once again!
The Epidendrum, or Reed Orchids, have been in bloom since December! I like the contrast in color against the bright green Bromeliad backdrop.
The cool color of Plumbago is a must in a hot Florida landscape!
Here's another Bromeliad in bloom. This one is located near the driveway entrance.
These pretty little leaves grow wild on my property. Love them!
This Black-eyed Susan Vine also grows wild on my property. Pretty and tough ground cover.
One of my Phaleanopsis Orchids in bloom
And another Phal in bloom...this the season!
My Lady Margaret Passion Vine is rebounding well after the combination of a wet late fall, a mild chill, and mass caterpillar feasts!
My pretty Vanda in bloom!
My husband found this pretty little specimen while digging post holes for a new entry gate. Although he showed some agression from fear, this guy is not poisonous. In our Certified Wildlife Habitat, we are happy to see him!
The little girls were happy to escape their small pullet coupe for the day. They are just 4 months and not yet laying eggs. From left to right is Phoebe, Cameron (in honor of our first Cameron), and Honey (who looked like honey when she was a chick - a stark contrast to her darker coloring now).
The ladies are trying to get used to the little girls. Gina (left) and Penny (right) demand great respect from the new additions. We have learned where the term "pecking order" comes from!
13 comments:
I just noticed my oysters are blooming too. I have them as a border around my pathway and usually they are still recovering from a cold winter but this year they are blooming! Love all your orchids. You really have developed a knack with them. And those girls and ladies are so sweet. Do you use them as fertilizer producers as well as egg layers?
What a small world...my wife and I have 4 chickens and one of them is named Phoebe!
Great photos of your tropical garden. So what kind of snake might that be? A milksnake perhaps?
David/:0)
Tropical Texana/ Houston
I love seeing what all is blooming in your tropical gardens. We have quite a few of the same things growing and blooming right now. Great photography.
Hope your girls will start giving you some eggs soon.
Enjoy the rest of your week in the great weather that we are having. Although, I sure wish we would get some rain.
FlowerLady
I just love the Moses-In-A-Basket flowers. We also commonly call this plant Boat Lily, because of the shape of the casing holding those gorgeous little white flowers. So many beautiful blooms in your garden right now! The snake on the other hand ... well I'm not a really big fan of snakes.
Those pretty little leaves( or big leaves) are coleous plants. they are bulbs, andthey come in many colors, I like the reddish/pink ones, but the green/white are most common. I also am a diehard plumbago and lantana fan as well. Beautiful flowers so early, but you are in Florida! thanks much, Gina
We have had a terrific winter, haven't we? Your garden is so colorful, and I love all your flowers, especially the orchids and bromeliads, oh, and that King's Mantle! Now I need to go check my oyster plant since I even did not know they could bloom :) My epidendrums is also blooming like crazy in my garden. They are so easy too!
Happy Spring!
Those blooms on your Kent Mango almost look like fireworks! Will you let it fruit this year?
I see you're experiencing the joys of introducing young chickens to older hens. It takes time, and patience, but eventually they'll forget their differences. At least have each other for moral support ;)
wow you have some amazing colour in your garden...... great photos as usual.
Wow - I'm in awe of all the beautiful blooms you have. I've still got very little blooming in my garden.
Hi Kimberly! It's really nice to meet you again! Your flowers (and wildlife) are stunning, as usual.
Enjoy reading your blog. Great plants you have there
Awesome! As always!! :)
Katherine, I know I already commented on this post, but your garden and blog are inspirational to me and I would like to award you with the Liebster Blog award. Should you choose to accept, you can find out more about the award on my blog here: http://jaynescountrygarden.blogspot.com/2012/04/leibster-blog-award.html
Post a Comment