Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Closer Look

Listening to the birds in the early morning hours, hearing the bees buzzing as they land on each dewy bloom, and witnessing a bird wrestle a grasshopper inspired me to take a closer look at my garden.  What wonders God creates, and what beauty we miss as we rush by!


Hen and Chicks


Ti Plant


Succulent


Gazania

Ponytail palm shoots


Canna Lily


Kalanchoe


Purple Cone Flower


Mockingbird nest in my star jasmine


Allamanda - 1st bloom of the season!


Foxtail Palm Seed Pod


Canna Lily

Mother of Thousands pups


Purple Fountain Grass


Lantana - Creeping variety - purple, yellow and white ON SAME BUSH (originally yellow)


Frangipani / plumeria buds


Hibiscus bud


Fresh Palm Shoot


Red / Orange / Gold Lantana

We were ecstatic to see this spoonbill - not in my yard, but still, a great view!


Massive Banyan near downtown Stuart - stopped on our way to dinner to get this shot

I challenge you this week to stop...listen...linger a little longer than normal and take a closer look!  

17 comments:

Unknown said...

The paradise is there with you Kimberly.
You have created it with you beautiful flowers..
And we share it with you.. looking at your great pictures.
Have a nice day.
Costas

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Oooh, I love that shot of the Kalanchoe Kim! The mockingbird nest is just darling too!

Floridagirl said...

Beautiful shots! I really love that roseate spoonbill! I've never seen one in the wild (just in zoos), as they are not common inland, but my mother has seen some at a state park where she once worked. Love that banyan tree as well! Oh, if only I had a bigger yard......

Jess said...

I missed all the beauty this week and I'm dang sore about it too. I can say though at least we appreciate that we are missing stuff when we rush by. I really feel for those who just never notice!

Liza said...

Gorgeous photographs, Kimberly!

NanaK said...

Taking a closer look is a very good thing to do. Busyness should never take over a life.

How intriguing that your creeping lantana has three different colors!

Spoonbills are so unusual and pretty at the same time. We get them on the ponds and along the river here from time to time.

I know we have a mockingbird nest in one of the huge azalea bushes because I see the mom and dad going in and out, but I can't see the nest. What a good shot of those eggs.

Noelle Johnson said...

Hi Kimberly,

Your photos show that God is definitely in the details, isn't he? Such beautiful pictures.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Plants do come in many shade of colours. I love the repetitive layers and shades in plants. Even mockingbirds join in the chorus by producing cute dotted eggs.... Sweet,
~bangchik

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

The mockingbird eggs in the nest are so pretty. It is good to slow down and spend a little more time appreciating things. There are days that I feel like all I do is rush in and out of the car and don't get a chance to just enjoy what's around me.

Autumn Belle said...

You have certainly captured beauty from a different angle. I think I want to build a tree house on that magnificient banyan tree.

Ami said...

Nice photos! Kimberly! I love the close up look of the plants, since you often can find more beauties than what you usually would notice. Love the shots of alanchoe and hen and Chicken.

Amy said...

Very pretty, post! I have never seen combination colors on the same lantana plant. I was surprised that my annual lantanas actually survived our freezes. I love the mockingbird's nest, too.

Anonymous said...

I will have to make the time to slow down and look around properly this week Kimberley - but it such a hectic one! Those little speckled Mocking Bird eggs are just lovely :)

Ellada said...

Hello.
Great picture and very beautiful tree at the end.

Marie said...

What a beautiful post :)

The Idiot said...

If you could train that spoonbill to stand still, he'd make a brilliant drinks coaster! He could follow you from chair to chair, and there'd always be somewhere handy to rest your drink.

SiestaSister said...

Love the banyan. Have you ever seen a Morton Bay Fig? We were in Sydney, Australia in Dec. and they are the most fascinating tree. the trunks are amazing!