Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Nerves and Distractions

Last week, I shared a genuinely phenominal wildlife habitat in my very own neighborhood.  My yard is also a NWF certified wildlife habitat, which I am very proud of, although it's certainly not the masterpiece I posted about.  We work hard to encourage wildlife of all types to visit or live in our yard. 


This week, I'll know if I have reached another goal...
 Susan at Central Florida Gardener posted about this program not too long ago, so I won't go into great detail.  However, I must admit that I'm pretty NeRvOuS about this.  I don't want to be disappointed on my day of reckoning.  Everyone will know how it ends up because I'll either post about my sheer delight or lament about my deep disappointment and failure.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!!


So, to keep my mind preoccupied until my much anticipated evaluation, I purchased a plant.  HA!!!  Imagine that!!!  I saw it planted in a yard that was hosting a garage sale and enticed the homeowner to sell me a pot for $2. I had no idea what it was but thought it looked unique.


After some research, I found out it's called a Slipper Plant, Devil's Backbone, Jacob's Ladder, or Red Bird Cactus.  It's officially named Pedilanthus tithymaloides.  There are both solid green (like mine) and a variegated leaf version.  The variegated leaf apparently turns pinkish in the cooler winter months.  I don't have a photo of a variegated type, but Mr. Subjunctive of Plants are the Strangest People does.  You can read all kinds of interesting info about this sensational succulent on his blog.

Some of my leaves have a bit of red veining in them.




 The plant is called Devil's Backbone or Jacob's Ladder for the zig-zag habit of the thick stem, and Slipper Plant or Red Bird Cactus for the red blooms that form in late winter and early spring.




These two photos are courtesy of Onalee Isreal. 
You can find out more about the Slipper Plant and others
that she sells on her website, Onalees Seeds and Plants

Note that this plant is not a cactus at all.  It lacks thorns, but is drought tolerant, thriving in dry conditions.  It's a native to dry tropical forests in Florida, Mexico, Central and Northern South America and the Caribbean.  Florida Gardener also writes about interesting stats and photos of the Red Bird Cactus.


Note to all you Greenies out there... the Pedilanthus Tithymaloides is also a possible RENEWABLE FUEL SOURCE
that can be used in place of gasoline!!  Yep...that's right!!! 
The fuel source is the milky sap produced when the stems are broken. 
Bummer for me...milky sap in plants typically means a horrible allergic reaction
which I have experienced more than enough times
since moving to my tropical paradise. 
It'd be nice if this toxic substance could be put to good use!

Finally, just to keep me distracted, I thought I'd show you my cacti blooms. 
I recently posted a shot of the buds.


Here it is in full bloom!


So keep your fingers (or paws) crossed!!!

Courtesy of Commons Wikimedia

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly, Of course I shall keep both fingers and toes crossed for you and I am sure that you will be successful - you certainly deserve to be. What an extraordinary plant the Pedilanthus is - most intriguing. I assume that it is hardy with you as it does not look the kind of thing to relish sub zero temperatures!

Kimberly said...

Hi, Edith! Thank you for your support! I'm sincerely nervous abou this, although it's only a personal goal...no other strings attached. I've not been blogging much since I've been working in my yard, in preparation! Now there's not much I can do but wait.

The Pedilanthus is such a unique plant, I think. The homeowner was thrilled that I took such an interest. I can't wait until it blooms next winter/spring! And, yes, it's a Florida native but not hardy past zone 9 (central Florida).

Ami said...

Kimberly: I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Congratulations on your new plant of the devil's backbone. you won't be disappointed with it! I have that variegated devil's backbone in my garden which I got from Lowes clearance rack after the freeze. I can not wait for it blooms for me, but the foliage alone is pretty enough to make me happy. I showed that plant in my June favorite post as the second last picture: http://sefloridagardenevolvement.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-favorites-june-2010.html.

Your cacti blooms are sooooo gorgeous!

Sandy Nawrot said...

Haha! You buy plants, I buy books! But hey, there are worse habits. I will cross my fingers for you and your endeavor.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I bet your yard will pass evaluation, good luck though! That is such a neat plant, it's fun seeing these types of plants that don't grow up here.

NanaK said...

Oh Kimberly, I'm nervous WITH you about your evaluation for a Florida Friendly yard. You've set me to thinking about having such a goal myself. I'm sure you've got everything you need in place. Being a good steward of our natural resources is so important. As a native Floridian I appreciate all who endeavor to guard Florida's natural beauty.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Kimberly, I'll cross my paws, but I'm not worried. I'm sure your garden will be the next certified Florida Friendly Yard. I'm right with you on milky sap = nasty allergic reactions. Pretty plant, I just won't go investigating any snapped stems any time soon. BTW, that puma in your last shot...I SOOOOO WANT ONE! :)

Floridagirl said...

Good luck, Kimberly! Sounds exciting.

Jayne said...

How exciting. Good luck with your certification. I love those cactus blooms - just gorgeous!

James David said...

I have seen few varieties of this kind in my region. Regardless, they are very easy to care in the garden. All they need is good sunlight - they can tolerate neglect for months!

The Idiot said...

Good luck on your 'day of reckoning'. You'll sail it, you know you will!

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

I'm only back from a holiday break so I'm late in commenting and not sure if all has gone well with the certification. I hope it all goes smoothly for you Kimberly.

africanaussie said...

Hi Kimberley,
I am sure you will get that certification, you deserve it. I have that variegated slipper plant and love it for those zig zag stems. I never realised it would flower, and mine is pretty big, mmmm maybe i will look into powering my car one day!

Town Mouse said...

Good luck! Oh, I'm sure they'll choose your garden. Of course, getting another plant or two probably wouldn't hurt. ;->

mr_subjunctive said...

Thanks for the link. (I was wondering why that post was suddenly getting comments again.)

Dave said...

Congrats on the NWF! And Good Luck on the FFY.....I received our NWF plaque a couple of weeks ago, but I'm hiding it as a birthday present for the my better half's birthday in August. The Florida Certificate is the next goal.
Think positive......it's in the mail!

Unknown said...

My mom had the variegated version of your Devils Backbone and she called it "Springtime in Paris" - who know where that name came from. I love that cactus bloom, I have never seen anything like that - almost like a single peony bloom. Very nice.

Unknown said...

BTW - You have the Florida Friendly Yard in the bag!

Ellada said...

Kimberly, I will keep my fingers crossed just for you, so good luck to you.

Shyrlene said...

Kimberly - best wishes on the "Florida Friendly Yard" selection! You are such an advocate for all that is 'green' and natural --- including all your blog buddies! :D

...and that cactus bloom - WOW!...

Angel said...

Hello :) My name is Angel and I am admin of www.exalism.com I just want to share with You my opinion about Your site and that it's looks very roomy, very interesting. There are so diversity of flowers, plants at all. Just looks great !
I wish You have a nice day, filled with smiles :)

Noel Morata said...

aloha kimberly,

good luck on the certification process, its always cool to do things like this with your interests.

love the story on jacobs ladder, i have a really interesting variegated version also, its pink/orange and green and i haven't seen it flower yet...lookin forward to that