After taking a nasty spill, injuring my knee and hobbling around on crutches, I've not been able to attend to my garden as I normally would. But crutches and a swolen knee can't keep me down so I white knuckled my way through my garden, and guess what?!?! A lot has been going on behind my back, ladies and gentlemen, and I'm not very pleased!! How do I know? EVIDENCE, my friends!!!
Evidence, in its broadest sense, according to Wikipedia, includes anything that is used to determine or demonstrate the truth of an assertion. The law of evidence governs the use of testimony, exhibits, or other documentary material. Why the need for such data, especially for this gardening blog? I mean, it's not a crime scene or anything.One of the first pieces of evidence I stumbled upon (literally)...
It's a little difficult to see what's going on here, but the first sign that something was ascew was the disturbed soil around these juvenile gingers. Closer inspection provides further proof that readers cannot experience...the distinct smell of amonia. And finally, the small soil covered brownish clump at the bottom of the photo, just to the right of center. I believe the neighboring cat has taken a liking to this spot for his nightly elimination. I'll have to apply some anti-cat tonic to deter Tommy Boy!!
Next...what's this?!?!
And this?!?!
And THIS?!?!
Something...or SOMEONE...is having a FEAST at the expense of my cannas and heliconia!
And whatever is eating my navel orange leaves
decided it was a great place to have kids, too!!
That's not the only pest taking up residence in my navel orange tree. I usually leave this worm alone, though, as it's mainly just unsightly...doesn't harm the tree or fruit.
But there is a TRUE crime that seemingly occurred right here in my typically happy little corner.
No, it doesn't look good!
Feathers stuck in my cactus.
Certainly a scuffle took place and there were most assuredly witnesses...but no one is talking!
Not a peep!
This little guy can't even see yet...he knows nothing.
Oops...sorry! I'll ask you two later!
It's a mystery, for sure!
But there's more evidence right around the corner!
Why is a branch of my El Capitolio hibiscus laying on the ground?!
It appears that it's been broken, but by WHAT?!
Hmmm...this IS the side of the house where
neighborhood kids play ball....
DAGGONE KIDS!!!!
What's going on with my recovering passion vine?!
MORE chewing?!?!
Yup...there's the culprit! WAIT....
There's TWO big fat cats!!
I hope they get their fill soon so they can sleep off the buzz
and turn into beautiful Gulf Fratillary butterflies!!
You might remember how upset I've been that my daylilies haven't bloomed, and a bud actually vanished without a trace. Well, I have a sneaking suspicion...
This clump of lilies, liriope and iris are just feet away from the mysteriously missing daylily!
The rabbit living under the shed looks awfully guilty right about now!!
But after the feathers in the cactus incident
and a bone-dry bird bath,
the birds aren't willing to help me out. They're holding a grudge.
But it's not all "bad" news...
The Orange Bird of Paradise that I accidently hit with the mower a few weeks ago is rerooting nicely!
And the newly purchased milkweed not only attracted Monarch butterflies but is now feeding a Monarch cat!! Exciting! I purchased this plant specifically for the butterflies and Voila!!
That's all the evidence I've been able to uncover thus far. That's enough, though, don't you think?! I'm sure I'll uncover more unsavory clues when I start weeding my grossly neglected beds.


18 comments:
Wow, there's been a lot of activity in your garden! You managed to get some great photos while you were collecting evidence! Great post :-)
Seems like you have more than one unsub (Do you ever watch Criminal Minds?) in your garden, unless the caterpillars are so big they are breaking branches off. Maybe the neighborhood kids have developed a taste for chewing leaves? So then, I hate to think what they were doing near the ginger...Seems like a crime syndicate to me...but a highly amusing post! Hope you're back on two feet soon.
Hello, Kimberly.
O.k, if I need a detective, good has CSI: Miami, I will call you. And don't forget your badge.
Very cute ! I enjoyed your detective work around the garden...I'm scared to even see exactly what is happening in mine lately...but now I need to go investigate here too , more fun than housework, take care of your knee , Gina
I guess you have the mystery solved! What a nice garden, and so different from my northern one. Thanks for stopping by gardenpath.
Sandy
Hahahahahaha!
Good job detective!
Well, my dear Watson, it's all about eating or being eaten after all.
(Great photos!)
Darn, TM beat me to a Watson comment LOL. Good sleuthing Kimberly, I hope the lizards weren't too embarrassed by the intrusion. Glad to see the bird of paradise is recovering!
Kimberly - get rid of that rabbit - maybe its the rabbit thats enticing those local cats into your garden.
As for the local moggies - a little biological washing powder - just a little in a watering can full of water over the area where the cats have been will deodorize the enzymes the cat has left behind - and then it probably won't be able to smell where it last was and will leave your gingers to recover.
As for neighbouring kids - make the fence taller lol - good fences make good neighbours as they say!
Sorry to hear about your tumble - I hope you still will be able to enjoy a great holiday weekend with the family though I don't think you and crutches would be wise to be on the boat this weekend.
:) Rosie
Haha! Great post idea :D Everytime I see David Caruso, I just think he oozes 'cheese'...but in a good way, oddly enough lol.
Ouch! poor bird! So much evidence, but some of it good, i.e., the caterpillars. : ) What a shot of that anole couple! In all my Florida life, I've never witnessed such a sight!
Hope your knee heals quickly. Your investigation of gardening events was a fun read. I have been finding "evidence" in my own garden - mostly of lubber violations.
aloha kimberly,
so much drama going on in your little garden....whats a girl on crutches to do???? oh well i guess writing about it helps to downplay the not so nice things happenings....i'm sure there will be alot of good happening too :)
thanks for taking us on a tour!
Hi Kimberley,
Just catching up on other blogs as I've been away. Read this post.........sorry about the the plants, but a hilarious post. Brilliant pictures and storyline, loved it!
I think that it's great that you grow things specifically to encourage butterflies etc, most people would see the damage and just spray regardless. Seeing the picture of the leaf miner damage, and how you say that you just leave it as it doen't harm the plant, reminds me of the countless times that curtomers have asked me to spray their whole tree or shrub to eradicate it of this little pest, only for mee to tell them what you also say.
Whoops! I meant to comment on this one earlier! I think this post is great just like your lola posts, and I especially love the non-snitching fauna in the garden, not saying even a peep! The barking treefrog is so cute! I actually found a katydid on my false cardamom ginger last evening and almost got fed up enough to hand pick it, but then a bright green baby anole lizard snatched it for me! My plot to garden green by employing miniature green henchmen is working!
I loved this post! Lots of fun.
The cats eating leaves are my favorite....I actually look for eating...I know I am doing right when the butterflies lay their eggs.
Hope you are back on your feet soon. I fell while on vacation and sprained my ankle...it hurts off and on.
We are having a nice much needed rain shower this morning. I get to catch up with blogs! I have enjoyed having coffee with you this morning.
I have been thinking of your gardens and the oil spill. Hope your area is ok.
Sherry
Wow you had a lot going on in your garden! I'm sorry to hear about your knee, hope you're doing better. You certainly have tons of critters around. You have many beautiful flowers and tropical plants, I love tropical! Thanks for visiting my page. I added you to my blogroll, looking forward to reading your posts.
Post a Comment