Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Favorites THIS Month!

Joining Susan with my favorites THIS month
is a bit challenging as my new landscape
is still "under construction". 
So much clearing still to be done...
mending the soil - uh, I mean sand...
providing air flow and light in moist, shady,
overgrown spaces...
so many challenges in this new garden paradise. 
Regardless, I have uncovered some lovely specimans to share!

As highlighted in my sidebar,
one of my phalaenopsis orchids
are in beautiful bloom right now
(and a vanda and another phal
are sending up bloom buds for next month's report!!).


I'm completely in love with this beautiful iris.


The wildlife is definitely among my favorites
at any given time. 
Having a pond on our property 
is a real treat as water birds are a constant.


One false move from this Anhinga 
will provide the proof
that my pure breed mutt, Sandy,
has some sort of bird dog in her mix.


Cassia - such cheerful yellow blooms! 
Love the handlbar mustache!!


Hibiscus Jane Cowel double peach...
I have a soft spot for peachy colors!! 
This photo was taken at night...love the contrast!


My daughter used to scold me for not having blues in my garden. 
Now she's happy...


Cool colored Plumbago always reminds me of Old Florida!


Native blue Salvia

I've also been showered with a few house warming gifts...citrus! 
I was so sad to leave my young
lemon and orange trees when I moved,
but now I can watch these youngsters grow.

Navel Orange

Ponderosa Lemon

As spring rounds the corner and temperatures rise on a consistant basis,
I'm hoping more blooms will emerge and surprise me
from beneath the overgrowth and brambles. 
I also hope I won't pull out some wonderful plant that is currently dormant. 

Until then, be sure to check out Simply Susan's
current garden favorites posted at the end of every month!

12 comments:

Roslyn said...

All beautiful and all should be favourites, but having a pond like that must be incredible.

sanddune said...

Welcome to zone 10 where the sand abounds. Sometimes I think this area was a former desert. Another challenge to add to growing a garden.

africanaussie said...

Your orchid is lovely - it seems to have a silvery sheen! You have a pond! - I am envious! Are you going to give us a preview of your jungle before you turn it into another paradise?

Anonymous said...

Coming here for your orchids is always a treat.The wildlife is pretty nice too.

Floridagirl said...

I'm completely jealous of that pond! And what a cool anhinga pose! I'd be outside all day watching the waterbirds if I had such a thing. So does this mean you now have a large property? Good that you've got the citrus going right off the bat.

NanaK said...

Oooo, a pond! Can't wait to see what happens there. You have some great blooms already this year. We're still waiting for spring here. Shouldn't be but a couple more weeks. I will be eagerly following the progress as you uncover more lovely surprises at your new place.

Lona said...

Hi Kimberly. What beautiful blooms. Your orchids is just lovely and I am in love with your Hibiscus Jane Cowel. Just gorgeous. The blue in Plumbago is a favorite. Such delicate blue blooms. Your Pup is really watching the birds in the pond. LOL!

Susan said...

I'm so jealous of all your tropical blooms. At ths time of year..it's nice to live in zone 10. Thank you for participating in 'my favorites' this past year. I have decided not to continue with it, as I don't like being held to a certain date, but feel free to carry on the tradition in place of me. Enjoy your new garden!

Ami said...

Kimberly: I guess you moved closer to my area now :) I am fall in love with your pond too! You can do so much in the pond and around it. Any plan? Hehe, I can imagine water lily floating on the water :)

Love your blooms. I also have that black and blue salvia. That blue is just so true blue.

Makarimi Abdullah said...

All beautiful....definitely my choice too to be favorite. I really love your pond and for sure your orchids are top on my list ;)

Shyrlene said...

Kim - am so looking forward to seeing your magic touch on this new project. With spring still a long ways out up here, I'll just savor your photos! (I love the picture of your 'bird' dog!)

The Florida Blogger said...

Thanks for the kick in the pants to get a citrus plant now that I own a house.