Monday, January 10, 2011

Peace and Inspriation

As some of you know, my holiday season was a frenzy
with activity as I moved my family to a new home;
assisted my father-in-law as he permanently joined our household;
changed my childrens schools mid year;
AND enjoyed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years
while working full time. 
I'm able to come up for a short breath of air before being engulfed
by childrens birthdays at the end of this month. 
It's been crazy! 
But I've found peace in the garden, per usual,
as I work to clear the previously neglected yard
we now have charge over. There's a lot of work to be done
as it's a bit overgrown and is full of non-native invasives
that need to be extracted.


This photo is only a sampling of the brambles
and invasives that pollute the property. 
There are MANY brazilian peppers (pictured) 
that need to be extracted as well as numerous
earleaf acacia that have taken over.


As we clear the terrain, my mind spins with ideas
of how to personalize our landscape. 
I'm constantly on the lookout,
gathering interesting ideas and seeking inspiration. 
I recently found inspiration in a nearby neighborhood
while on an afternoon walk.


I love everything about this bromelaid garden. 
There are so many varieties, colors and textures
to grasp the interest of passersby. 
I also like the multiple levels of the garden space...
the curvature of the ground as it gently rises from the edges
toward the center providing high and low points,
and the use of the beautiful tree as a planting medium
drawing the eye upward as well. 


I appreciate the use of perenials to soften the sharp edges
of the bromelaid foliage and the backdrop of the tree canopy
to sooth the overall view. 
Finally, the brick pavers provide a clean, neat border. 
What a beautiful entryway to this yard and home!!

This bromelaid garden is a little different...not as soft but still lovely. 
It faces the harsh, hot afternoon sun so
tender perenials would not suit this space well.  
The large sun loving palms are the foundation,
providing cover for the varieties that prefer protection
 from the relentless heat of the afternoon. 
The hardier bromelaids and succulents 
border the front of the garden,
able to withstand and actually enjoy the heat of the day.  
Large chunks of landscape rock provide this space
with further interest and definition.


I can only imagine
my front entry looking like either of these!! 
Maybe one day. 
Until then, I will continue to clear and gather inspiration!

18 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

OMG you have to start all over! But knowing you, this is a huge, exciting challenge for you to build a brand new paradise. I can't imagine how stressful this all was. I hope you had a glass of wine or two in between unpacking boxes!

Kimberly said...

LOL!!! Sandy, you have NO idea...the stress of it all was a bit overwhelming at times. Yes, vino definitely took the edge off. I'm a little sad to leave my beautiful garden, but hope it will be well cared for as I continue on my mission to transform yet another yard! :D

Kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Makarimi Abdullah said...

OMG...a lot of work need to be done. Hopefully everything going well, your kids, family, new house and even the garden. I hope you can arrange it as you imagine. Good luck and Happy gardening to you.

Ami said...

Kimberly: Glad to see you posting again. I can imagine how stressful and crazy busy you have been! But it is also very exciting to have a new home and a garden to play with, isn't it? I love using bromeliads in landscape, since they are easy and lots of color and textures added into the garden. Keep us posted with your garden progress.

NanaK said...

Kimberly, I'm glad that you posted about your new garden plans. They will all come together in time. I look forward to your chronicling of the process. It will be interesting to see just how you clear and claim this piece of paradise.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

How exciting! A new garden challenge! Although I don't envy you having to pull all those pepper trees. It can be overwhelming beating back years of neglect in a garden, but once you start planting, it will begin to take shape in no time! I love the Bromeliad garden, that tree has gorgeous limb architecture!

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Hi Kimberly, I understand how busy you are with school age children. My daughter is the same, always very busy, but she also loves to snatch the time to work in her garden. I think a garden is like an artist palette ready to use colours and imagination and it is always so exciting to create something new. As you have moved to a new home you will give your new garden your personal inspiration. Happy planting and happy New Year.

Andrea said...

Happy New Year, now you can breath well, inhale...exhale, hehe. Yes that garden is so lovely, and the tree is so beautiful it's claiming its superiority lord-protector stance. You have a big task ahead, and that's very challenging, we will wait for your updates. Good luck.

africanaussie said...

Kimberley,
Gosh you could not have chosen a busier time to move! glad to see you back online again and raring to go. I am sure you will have that new garden looking lovely in no time at all. hopefully you were able to bring some plants from the last place.

Unknown said...

Moving - planned or otherwise - is rarely fun. Luckily you will have a great outlet for ridding all the bad juju in your life by clearing and creating a new garden habitat. Hope you are warm this winter where you are.

Jayne said...

Wow - you have a lot of work ahead of you. I like your inspiration gardens and look forward to seeing your garden progress.

Pas de blabla... Juste des photos said...

Hello Kimberly, nice to see you, again.
New garden, it's new story by you for us.

Floridagirl said...

I feel for you, Kimberly, as I know how difficult moves are, both in leaving a garden, and in all the adjustments the kids have to make. Is it a better situation for you? Seeing all the invasives and the Brazilian peppers, it makes me think you now have property beyond the typical residential lot. That would be quite exciting for a gardener! Love your brom inspirations!

Susan said...

Hi Kimberly...Looks like you've got your work cut out for you, but there's always a lot of satisfaction in transforming an overgrown site into a beautiful garden. I have every confidence that you'll soon be posting pics of your progress. Good luck!

Meems said...

Hi Kimberly,
So glad to see you again. Looks like you'll have some good space to implement all those dreams in your new place. It's always fun to look around and get ideas. I hope all is well for you and your family as you settle in.
Meems

Tootsie said...

oh how exciting to have a new garden to dream in! I hope to follow along with your progress!!! please link into fertilizer fridays and share with us all the pretties you are planting!

Unknown said...

Kim-glad you're back!And a new garden to plan,too!How exciting!
Welcome home.