The Garden in Paradise cheerfully welcomes new residents...
3 sweet little pullets, or baby/young hens typically less than a year old.
Now we have Pullets in Paradise!!!
These lovely little babies came to join us when they were just 3 days old.
At 1 week, they were already quite active and demanding!
Many of you know I come from midwest farm country. However, my family engages in crop production, dairy cows, and hogs...not chickens. Although my husband has enjoyed a 'farmette' with goats and chickens, I personally had to conduct a bit of research to find out more about our feathered friends. Here's the scoop:
Rhode Island Red - Penny
Loveable little Penny was my personal choice...she's the larger of the three girls and is very sweet and calm. I read that Penny will be a hardy producer of brown eggs, even under the worst conditions, and would be a wonderful mother if permitted to have chicks. Quite popular, this breed is probably the best known in the world and is the Rhode Island state bird. Mature hens grow to be about 6 lb and roosters can grow up to 8 lb, which explains Penny's larger size.
Black Sex Link - Gina
Research tells me that Black Sex Links, or Black Stars, are hybrids...a cross between a red rooster (Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire) and a female Barred Rock breed. Black Sex Links are typically friendly chickens and very productive brown egg layers. I don't know if speed is typical of this breed but Gina is quite fast, even at her early age.
Ameraucana - Cameron
This adorable ball of fluff resembles an owl, doesn't she? After some research, I've found that Cameron probably isn't a true Ameraucana, but rather a breed that does not conform to any specific type, which is also also known as an Easter Egg Chicken, since they lay green and bluish eggs. This breed originated from blue egg laying chickens, but has 'evolved' into primarily green egg layers. Regardless of her pedigree, Cameron has a friendly demeanor and seems a natural leader of the flock.
These little ones are growing much faster than I expected, although my more-experienced husband knew better. They are outgrowing their indoor pen as I speak, forcing my hubby to build an outdoor pen/coop. We live in a farm-friendly community so the girls are not unexpected or unwelcome by the neighbors. However, we'll have to keep a keen eye out for raptors as well as fox, coyote, bobcat, and even raccoons...all who might enjoy the girls as a tasty meal.
As a side note, the dogs and Lola seem to enjoy the new additions...no one feels disregarded!





13 comments:
I came looking this post earlier, but you hadn't written it yet :P Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you, your girls are soooo cute! I'm going to miss raising chicks this year. All of our pullets did so well that we don't need any replacements this year. I'm glad Lola doesn't mind sharing her space with three new feathered friends. Can't wait to see the coop!
You have such nice girls! :)
And your flowers... They are really gorgeous! I expecially love the Plumeria: it's so difficult to grow it in northern Italy, where I live; it's too cold here in winter.
I'm currently doing my best with my first Frangipani (recovered inside at the moment), hope well... :)
What an adorable looking threesome. Can't wait to see more pics as they grow, and of course some of their eggs. Good luck with the new young'uns.
You are lucky Lola is being good bird, CreamCheez would have them for dinner, literally. His favorite food is fried chicken.
They are so cute. It will nice to watch them grow.
Wow...great to try something new. Very lovely chicks, I also have a lots of chickens, turkeys and ducks in my garden. There always welcoming me when I'm back from office.
Cute little chicks you got there! I wanted to have chickens in my backyard, but vetoed down by my 3 sons!:( Cos when I was a kid my dad used to have ducks and chickens in our backyard.
Awww, your chicks are beautiful! I get so jealous seeing all of these bloggers raising chickens. I don't think I could pull it off on my half-acre.
How exciting to embark on a new adventure in raising chickens. I will look forward to future posts on 'the girls.'
They look like ornamental chickens because they have different colors. We have native chickens also in the property in the province and they really look so pretty when young, but crows and monitor lizards from the wilds are their enemy. BTW, thanks for picking my posts earlier.
I so want chickens! I was raised a country girl and we did not have chickens either. I will have to live vicariously through your experience until I can figure how to have some too.
Kimberly - you are a woman of many talents! Shall we call you the "Chicken Whisperer"?!! It will be interesting to see how quickly your cute, fuzzy chicks turn into lanky 'teenagers'?!!
(BTW - I was browsing your 'Garden Favorites' on the right side of your blog -- major coolness!)
Oh Happy Day!
adorable!
Post a Comment