I really do love orchids, although I'm not a huge collector...yet! However, I have a few different types that I enjoy. They remain in my yard, for the most part, until they bloom, when they are paraded inside my home to be gazed upon with great admiration.
Orchids can be costly, though, so I'm careful to find bargains. That means they are not in bloom, and may have been neglected for quite some time. Or perhaps they are very young and will not bloom for many years to come. Regardless, purchasing bargains may mean I have no idea what the bloom will look like until the plant presents its spectacular show.
I am very proud to announce
the blooming of one of my bargain orchids,
the Potinara Hoku Gem 'Freckles'.
The blooms are beautiful,
and unlike any other orchid I own.
I did a bit of research
to find out about the Potinara.
Wikipedia says, "Potinara, abbreviated Pot in the horticultural trade,[1] is the nothogenus comprising those intergeneric hybrids of orchids which have Brassavola, Cattleya, Laelia and Sophronitis as parent genera." Additionally, Wikipedia also informs their readers that this variety has been renamed by officials and is now known as Brassocattleya Hoku Gem.
OK...this is why
I'm not serious about orchids...
I just like them, think they're pretty
and grow them for my own enjoyment.
In layman's terms,
the Hoku Gem is a mini cattleya orchid.
It is named 'Freckles' for the obvious
purplish-red speckles on the petals.
I was hoping for a lovely fragrance,
but mine is not sporting a scent.
The blooms begin with a pretty
reddish-orange color, similar to a tropical sunset,
and mature into a orange-yellow shade.
The leaves are thick and strappy
with a pretty, green color.
These leaves look a bit on the dark side
in my opinion as cattleya leaves are generally
a lighter, brighter green.
I may not be providing it with enough light.
Cattleyas and their relatives typically like
more light and can tolerate some morning sun.
Each flower stalk originates from a pseudobulb.
Once the blooms have dropped,
I'll cut the stalk to the base
and wait for the next bloom period!
Oh...one more wonderful factoid.
I found this particular variety
for sale on the Internet for $25.
I think I paid $3.
My blooms just got prettier!!!
I'm submitting this post to Noel's monthly
"HOT! LOUD! and PROUD!" meme at
Be sure to check out other HOT! LOUD! and PROUD! posts!
11 comments:
cool! I have potinera Love passion 'long vacation' in bloom and photos are on my site just now... Larry
Love your potinara...very pretty colors and I'm a fan of freckles. Enjoy!
Kimberly: Haha, we are so alike when coming to orchid purchase! I love bargains, and had bought some very young plants, and still patiently waiting for their blooming. I went to an orchid show and sale event last weekend, and brought back two orchids, one is oncidium, and another is lady's slipper, not very cheap, but much cheaper than other places I saw. Your POT orchid is gorgeous, and especially it is only $3.00 :)
P.S. I love freckles on the orchids too!
Congratulations on nurturing your bargain orchid into blooming. It is lovely. And, I must agree with everyone else, those freckles are the best.
Oh yes, I am always picking up those bargain clearance plants, nameless and then what a lovely surprise when they flower! That is a lovely flower, I love the freckles!
beautiful pictures, beautiful orchids, colorful, nuanced. thanks.
What a beautiful orchid - thank you for sharing
Orchids are addictive,aren't they? Love 'em all!
I've been growing orchids for 35 years and still and not tired of them. Great job of growing and blooming this Potinara ( still cannot get used to the new names). Thanks too for your visit to my blog and comments.
aloha friend,
i love orchids and i just leave them out in the ground or potted and the environment here just takes care of everything...once they start blooming i take them into the house for enjoying...its that simple :)
Post a Comment