Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Riverbend Tillandsia and Cypress!

The other evening, my family and I took a short jaunt to our local "park". It was a beautiful evening for a bike ride, fishing, nature walk, etc. I'll discuss the park itself at the end of this post, but I'd like to show you the amazing tillandsia and cypress trees found EVERYWHERE in the park!!!

I  first spotted this tillandsia in bloom as I made the turn from the parking/picnic area into the more natural portions of the park.  It had obviously fallen from its lofty position in a tree, but is thriving on the ground.


Here's a closeup of the bloom.  Pretty, isn't it?



I'm amazed by the way the plants hang
on the side of the trees. 
The root system is remarkably strong!


 

Such spectacular color and form!
I feel I've stepped back in time!



I started noticing some differences in varieties.
This form has flatter leaves...not as spiky. 
The bloom is spent,
but you can see the tall spike that remains. 
The sun was setting quickly,
so the photos were becoming
more and more difficult to capture. 



These bulbous types
were pretty far up the tree trunk. 
This is one of my favorite forms. 
I like the bulbous base and curly leaves.



Here's a photo of a small one that graces a tree in my yard.


Click on the photo to get a better view.


This variety looks similar to the first couple
 of photos to my untrained eye,
but the bloom is different.


Here's a closer look.


This shoe string fern enjoys the humid conditions.


Even though we are currently experiencing
drought conditions, and the park is very dry,
you can still enjoy the lush, tropical environment
that is home to the majestic cypress!



This area is usually very swampy
but the dry conditions provide
a wonderful opportunity to see
the root system of the cypress. 
These "knees" stick up from the massive root system
beneath the ground...
perhaps providing oxygen or support...or both. 
So ancient and prehistoric looking!



I know very little about cypress trees,
but I found out, per the sign posted in the park,
that there are two types in Riverbend Park -
the Bald Cypress that grow along rivers, streams,
creeks and swamps with slow moving water
and the Pond Cypress that occur in still-water wetlands. 


This nearly 200 year old Bald Cypress is the one referred to on the sign.



The Bald Cypress leaves have feathery needles.


The Pond Cypress needles swirl around the stem,
giving the look of pine needles.


These little immature cypress cones are precious! 


Of course, I had to shoot some of the
equally beautiful flora and fauna.


This guys markings are absolutely outstanding!



This hawk is looking for dinner before the sun sets. 
He wasn't pleased that we were giving away his position.



Check out this bloom...hypnotizing!!!



The original disco ball!!



Another wetlands native provides
a splash of color in the dimming sunset.

Now a bit about the park itself...


Riverbend Park is a 680 acre preserve with over 15 miles of trails and roads located in Southeast Florida. There are wonderful facilities in this wetland area including canoe rentals and launch areas, equestrian trails and parking, broad walking/biking trails, signage and kiosk maps to maintain your where-abouts, port-a-lets, and picnic areas throughout. Both city dwellers and nature lovers will feel at home here.

History buffs will like the area, too. The site of The Battle of the Loxahatchee that took place in 1838 is located within the park. You can read more about the battle here and see photos of an old homestead here.







Even in the dimming light,
my little point and shoot camera
can capture some of the majesty in this park! 
The variety of birds and wildlife (even gators),
the numerous wild flowers/vegetation,
and AMAZING cypress was a truly spiritual event! 

10 comments:

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

What an amazing park to have so close to you. The cypress are truly impressive looking, and even when dry evoke that sense of swampiness. The shoe string fern looks really intriguing, is it actually a fern, or some other sort of epiphyte? The first photo of the bald cypress leaves looks a lot like the leaves of our coast redwood. Love the disco ball, what a cute flower!

Susan said...

Those tillandsias hanging on the sides of the tree are gorgeous. I'm surprised people don't snitch them...perhaps they're so common down your way that they're left alone. I hope so at least. The must have really strong roots to stay attached. Your lubbers are much further along in size and color than ours. I do dread stepping on the large ones. Thanks for sharing the park walk with us...it's a lovely place.

Anonymous said...

Flowers, natures way to smile. Thank you for this happiness. Please have you all a good Wednesday.


daily athens

Kimberly said...

Clare - so glad you enjoyed the tour! This is a fabulous park...I feel very fortunate! The Shoestring fern is a really cool epiphyte. They are picky, or seem to be to me as I've never been able to grow one. I also believe the cypress is a relative to the redwood?!

Susan - I'm still amazed at the tillandsia and their size. The roots are really strong and so not easily let go. The plants are heavily protected...even the seeds. It's a federal offense to take anything from the parks - the rangers as well as the citizens enforce this rule, which is really great for Florida!
Robert - so glad you stopped by. Quite a different look from Daily Athens, isn't it? :D

The Idiot said...

That's a park and a half! If I lived near that I doubt I'dever get anything done!!!

lynda said...

that is a crazy-great park! i see why u would like the pinecone lampshade. what is the disco ball? i love it!

Kimberly said...

IG - we frequent the park often. It's a great look into the original, real Florida.

Lynda - the disco ball is a Florida native button bush, or Cephalanthus occidentalis. I love it too!

Carolyn @ Carolyn's Shade Gardens said...

How lucky you are to have this amazing natural area near you--amazing plants. We just planted a pond cypress last spring right before our record breaking drought and heat last summer. I thought it dies but it is thriving. Now I know what I have to look forward to.

Adina said...

Hey Kimberly, I have some of the plants on your wish list. Give me a holler if you would like them, blood lily,
angels trumpet, blue flag iris, rangoon creeper.
Adina

Shyrlene said...

Kimberly - you open up a whole new world for your readers! Thanks for taking us along for the trip to the park... :D