Monday, February 15, 2010

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day Feb 2010

I'm almost too late, but I still have time to participate in my VERY FIRST Garden Bloggers Bloom Day!!!  So, what's growing in my garden today?  Weeds, mostly. Although some of my plants are bouncing back, they're taking their time. So my blooms today will include a few pretty little weeds. Hope you don't mind!

This pretty little blue flower is some type of clover, I believe. I like the "tail" at the tip of each petal.

My favorite this time of year...Indian Blanket Flower...so pretty against the brown shades! It makes a lovely welcome to my front entrance.


Here's another clover that was added to my garden on purpose...the Charmed Wine Shamrock.  It's happily blooming in it's little corner spot!


The citrus...Ponderosa lemon, Meyer lemon, and navel orange, are all in bloom today!



The star Jasmine as well as the Carolina Yellow Jasmine are adding perfume to the air!  Such a pretty shade of yellow!



Here's another little blue weed!  I can't bring myself to pull it while in bloom!



The moss rose and pentas brighten the front garden.



My honeysuckle is attracting many visitors, including my daughter and I, to taste the sweet nector!


I recently relocated my firecracker plant into the ground...it's been in a pot for 2 years. It hasn't missed a beat!  I really like the trumpet shaped blooms and the gentle fern-like foliage of this plant!



The Mexican Petunia hasn't let me down this chilly winter either!



The Vincas are bouncing back!



The bright red Kalanchoe are cheerful throughout my garden.



The Lantana is starting to bloom!  Two bushes didn't make it this year because I cut them back for the season just weeks before the first cold spell. I won't cut them back as far next year.



And finally, the Pentas keep me in color throughout the year!  I have different colors in various beds around my property. When they get too woody and tall, I cut them back to form new growth.

 

My sweet flowers cheer me while I keep watch to see which plants will bounce back from the freeze and which will need to be replaced.  Thank you, February blooms!

22 comments:

serial tiller said...

It's my first blogger bloom day too! So much fun! I enjoyed seeing all your colorful blooms. The pic of the purple clover was gorgeous! I used to have that but moved it and it died out. I'll be scouting for more at my biannual plant swap now that I've seen yours.
Jennifer

Floridagirl said...

Oh, my dear, that first photo is a wondrous Florida wildflower...Blue-Eyed Grass! Just had to comment...Now I'll read the rest of the post.

Floridagirl said...

You have a ton of blooms for a February day--a floral rainbow! My ruellia was done-in by the freezes, but I think it'll be back. I'd wait on the lantana if I were you. They often go dormant where I live and come back from the roots in spring. I doubt it was cold enough in your neck of the woods to kill the roots.

Ami said...

Lovely bloomings in your garden. Oh, love that Charmed Wine Shamrock! I saw it at Home Depot around Christmas and did not buy right away. When I went back to get it in one week, it was gone!!! My lantana was damaged during the freeze, I cut them back, and now the new leaves are coming back. No blooming yet.

Jean Campbell said...

Looks like summertime at your place! I agree that the blue flower is sisyrinchium, Blue Eyed grass. It isn't really a grass; if you look closely at the plant, the stems have joints like a tiny iris.

Happy Bloom Day.

Caroline said...

YES, blue-eyed grass, one of my very favorite native plants. Your other blue weed is widow's tears, also known as blue spiderwort or dayflower. That dark oxalis with the white flowers is stunning. Happy GBBD!

lostlandscape (James) said...

Welcome to your first bloom day. Your garden's made a great showing, and I'm sure there's some gorgeous scents going on that just don't travel well over the web...

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

Congratulations on your very first GBBD. You certainly have lots to show us!

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Well done for the effort to get into GBBD. I recognise Charmed Wine Shamrock, because similar plant, but the leaves are somewhat darker with light purplish flower. I enjoy looking at their behaviour. The blooms will close up at the end of the day, and open up the next morning until they get tired of repeating the chores! ~bangchik

Noel Morata said...

wow, everything looks amazing kimberly, what alot of color...gorgeous

lotusleaf said...

You have the same flowers that I have! The Russelia which you call Firecracker plant is called Queen's Tears here.Lovely pictures!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Kimberly ~ I love all of your bloomers, but especially the blue eyed grass. I've not seen it down here south of you. The other little blue flowering plant is a day flower. I've had this for years and years and love it. You can read about it here ~ http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55680/

I love scented bloomers the best. Wish I could grow the Carolina Yellow Jasmine, but I think it gets too hot and humid for it down here.

I've been smelling the star jasmine and roses lately.

Enjoy your lovely gardens ~ FlowerLady

NanaK said...

Nice color in your garden. I'm a little jealous, but my brown is turning green little by little and blooms can't be too far behind. It's nice to see those gorgeous colors in your garden.

Susan said...

Even your weeds look lovely! You have lots of beautiful blooms going on in your garden. I love that clover...the leaves are a gorgeous color. My citrus tree is popping out, too. Can't wait until the air is full of the intoxicating scent. Spring is right around the corner.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

You have so much blooming! I love the smell of citrus blooms! I remember as a kid eating the nectar from Honeysuckle.

Liza said...

I don't know how you get anything done. If I had those citrus trees blooming, I'd spend all day hanging out underneath them and inhaling.

Noelle Johnson said...

I love the Charmed Wine Shamrock! The burgundy foliage and little flowers. Lantana and Blanket Flower are some of my favorites here too :^)

Steve Asbell said...

I have to find some of those shamrocks! That is a stunning photo!

Rusty in Miami said...

For me color is color, it doesn’t matter if they are weeds, I like that blue flower

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi, I came here from your comment on FlowerLady's blog. You have some lovely blooms there! I grow those petunias, which pop up here and there after going dormant in the winter. I love your shamrock! I have one in the house that is not as happy as yours. Some of the others, like lantanas and pentas I grow as annuals. You probably did when you lived in Chicago, too. I would move to a warmer place, too, if our kids, grandson, and my parents would come, too.

I hope Stuart isn't going through too many frustrations.

Shore Debris said...

Your flowers are beautiful! And the sunlight is almost making me feel warm through my multiple layers of sweatshirts, socks, slippers, etc :) I'm a Florida transplant now in North Carolina and can't quite get used to the cold.

Jan said...

Kimberly, when I started out reading it seemed you had only 'weeds'...based on what you 'SAID'...however, there are NO weeds here...these are lovely little plants and flowers and I adore all of them! It's funny, but the spiderwort I had in abundance until last summer when I tried to get rid of most of it, as it takes over if you don't stay on top of it. I know, I try not to call it a weed...and I love its little blue flower and don't want to entirely eradicate it...but it does take over so I had to use some landscaping fabric and lots of dirt over top of it. I hope 'some' will return this year but don't want it to cover up my entire garden. Anyway, YOUR garden is jumping with blooms and so festive. How nice it must be to garden in Florida, despite the freezes you have had, it is so spring-ish there!