Here's a tiny baby tree frog on a hibiscus leaf...
This Preying Mantis enjoys hanging around (literally) waiting for bugs, preferrably butterflies!
The black racer snakes live here but are typically shy. They help keep the field mice and rabbits away.
This adult basking in the sun on the stucco band measured about 4' long.
And this baby black racer wasn't too fond of being found in the pool...he slithered into his hole as soon as we "rescued" him!
Then there's the bugs...this leaf bug...
...the stick bug...
...the poisonous but exotic oleander caterpillar...
...and this spiky spider dressed in punk hanging around the citrus.
And we can't forget the endearing lizards. The anoles are everywhere and do their part in pest control!
Brown Anole
Green Anole
Here's a sneaky blue tailed skink
And finally, the strange, clear gecko that appears at night clinging by suction cups.
And we can't forget the sweet, protected Gopher tortoise. My kids call every tortoise "Bob"!
Some are not garden residents, but welcome visitors...
Yes, this is a bobcat. He's across the street in this photo, but they frequent our garden often on their jaunt to their water source.
Hawks are often visitors, sitting in wait on my 6' privacy feence searching for the resident black racer, and checking out my lovely umbrella cockatoo, Lola (she stays safely under cover).
Woody Woodpecker actually lives in a tree next door, but enjoys this power line (pole, actually) and often wakes me up early in the morning jumping on my roof...he knows I look out my window because he often looks for me. He's funny!
The Great Horned Owl lives across the street in a vacant lot.
This gator, and it's extended family, live only 3 blocks from my house. I like that they keep their distance!
Finally, the gorgeous, endangered Sandhill Cranes visit several yards in the neighborhood but haven't made their way to my yard yet. I'm praying for the day they come to my house!!!
So there are a few of the "residents" that call "my" garden home!


















7 comments:
Kimberly,
Loved all your garden residents. Part of the joy of gardening is "sharing" what we've created with all God's creatures. We inhabit our paradise together and treasure each one for the balance and beauty they bring to the garden.
I think your pool snake might be a grey rat snake... just a guess from the markings. I used to hate the snakes in my garden... then learned of their benefits and gradually have grown to appreciate them.
Meems
aloha kimberly, i'm amazed by all your friends sharing your garden i'm glad alot of them are very shy! isn't it amazing that you can actually find alot of wildlife in your garden...amazing!
What great shots of the creatures in your gardens. We have many of the same ones, except for the bobcats and the cranes.
FlowerLady
I love the wildlife in my garden too. Your photos are amazing. I can't get my "subjects" to sit still long enough for me to get a good shot. I really need that camera upgrade don't you agree?
What great critters you have! I,too,have learned to love them in the garden,and look for them everyday.
Wow, the bobcat picture was crazy! We have them here in NC, but I haven't seen them live. I saw one in Northern Canada once, whilst my mum and I were driving up to see my family. It was just sauntering across the highway...I wish I had been older and armed with a camera :D
Wow! Kim, you have a virtual botanical zoo! love the blooms. Congrats on the 75 miles. I'm upto 55 as of today. Thank God, for the treadmill! We have cold and snow again, Gloria
Post a Comment