Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sausages on Trees?

Last week, I stopped at a nearby nusery to check out their inventory.  They always seem to have a wide variety of tropicals and advertise great discounts along the roadside.  I wanted to see for myself.  I was greeted by this massively beautiful tree growing in the parking lot providing tremendous amounts of cooling shade in the heat of the Florida midday.  What a nice welcome!








The canopy is huge! 



But I don't recognize this kind of tree and there is something odd hanging from the branches.  The creative nursery owners probably hung pretty orchids or pitcher plants to create interest and enhance the tropical atmosphere for clients.


A closer look reveals the unusual blooms are part of the tree itself.


But none of the blooms are open.  What in the world is this strange tree?  I LOVE it!


I pick up an open bloom from the ground for a closer look.  I've never seen anything like it.  I have to ask someone who works at the nursery.


I'm informed this lovely speciman is called a SAUSAGE TREE
Sausages on trees?! That's silly...
...unless you live in Africa where Sausage Trees are quite common, apparently. Now, I don't indulge in sausage, myself, but being a native Midwesterner, I know the importance of sausage to sausage lovers. Italians grill them with peppers and onions 
while farmers enjoy sausage and biscuits as a hearty meal for breakfast.
But really...sausage on trees?

Well, not pork sausage, anyway. 
These trees get their name from the appearance of the fruit they bear.



And the blooms, along with their fragrance, show up at night to be pollinated by bats.  Interesting.


You can find out more about the sausage tree here and here .

You can also check out other HOT, LOUD and PROUD plants at
Noel's blog, A Plant Fanatic in Hawaii

Drop on by and see what's HOT this month!!

16 comments:

Noel Morata said...

aloha kimberly,

yes aren't these the most interesting trees, the ones here have these huge fruit, not sure how its pollinated here since there's only one native bat, i'm assuming probably flies could do the trick, aren't the flowers amazing and quite unusual?

these do fit into the exotic loud and proud, thanks for taking part :)

Stone Art's Blog said...

Wow the flowers are really interesting on that. There really are some strange trees out there!

The Idiot said...

Has anyone done the obvious Ham Bush joke yet?

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

I have seen my first "sausage" bearing tree in the botanical garden in Cairns. Its flowering time was already past. Now I know how the flowers look like; very beautiful. Great post.

NanaK said...

What an odd looking tree. Well, not the tree but the fruit. The flowers are pretty. Did you buy anything?

Kimberly said...

Aloha, Noel. I love participating in your meme and was really excited to talk about such an unusual and beautiful tree this month!

StoneArt, thanks so much for stopping by! I'm certain there are many more strange trees and plants that I've never seen! I'm on the lookout!

IG, I was absolutely sure you would share the obvious with us...I left it out purposely so as not to steel your thunder! :)

Titania, weren't you overwhelmed when you saw it? I was! I was sincerely amazed. What a great tree!

Hi, Kay! Isn't it weird and beautiful, all at the same time?!?! The nursery owner says it's very messy...at least 100 blooms on the ground every morning and the fruit is quite heavy when it drops. I didn't purchase anything that day but plan to go back and get some walking iris that looked very healthy and beautiful.

Kyna said...

I have heard of those, but only in a fictional novel. The 'No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' series is set in Botswana, and Sausage Trees are mentioned. But it's cool to actually see a picture of one!

Rosie@leavesnbloom said...

Kimberly what a find - makes my lilies look so boring compared to this. I've never heard of such a tree before so its really interesting to read about it. Those fruits really do look the way a string of sausages hangs. From an aberdeen angus sausage eater lol ......... :) Rosie

Alice Joyce said...

Fascinating. I'm totally unfamiliar with this unusual tree.
Always fun to learn about a new plant, and in this case, the blooms and fruit are intriguing.
Very cool, Kimberly!

Floridagirl said...

Kimberly, that is the coolest tree ever! The bloom is absolutely amazing! I've seen the sausage tree on TV and in books, but never saw one in person. Oh, I need to get out more...

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

How interesting! I've never seen, nor even heard of a sausage tree. I understand the name...but it seems that with those fabulous looking flowers, it really deserves a more refined name. It is difficult to argue with the shape of the fruits though. Thanks for sharing, if I ever see a sausage tree, now I'll know what I'm looking at!

Annelie said...

You're kidding? Sausage tree?
That is the most peculiar thing, very interesting.
Entertaining.

Susan said...

I've seen these trees in S. Florida. They're definitely different. I've never seen the flowers though, and they are quite pretty. I wouldn't want to be standing under one of those trees when a sausage drops off...ouch!

Meredith said...

That is so cool, Kimberly. How perfect that the blossoms open at night -- naturally, if they're waiting for the bats. :)

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

I have seen plants in my own gardening opening up flowers at night and close day time. Interestingly I have seen insects flying at night near those flowers. Nature I guess take into consideration both world, day and night. Some of the plants shown are quite unusual.. exotic to be more precise. ~bangchik

Anonymous said...

Hi-a lurker here. Stumbled upon your blog somehow. Wish I had found it sooner.We lived in Palm City for 16 yrs and relocated to Missouri last yr for hubby's job. I left yrs of work and beautiful landscaping much like yours and it's been tough! Learning how to do it all over again in the midwest. Have you been to Pinders on Martin Hwy. west of Palm City? Always my fav place. Not missing the Fl. heat and humdiity this summer. Jennifer