Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Early Birthday Pitcher Picture

Pitcher Picture...reminds me of Mr. Rogers Picture Picture from my childhood!  For anyone who may not be familiar with Mr. Rogers, Fred Rogers hosted a children's program on PBS.  One of his segments included video clips of various factory processes, helping children understand how things are made through a process with a beginning, middle and end.  (Gee...could you guess that I have a teaching degree in early childhood and elementary education?!) 

Courtesy PBS.org

Here's my Pitcher Picture...



This Pitcher Plant, or Nepenthes,
has been on my wish list. 
I can now scratch it off
since this beauty is an early birthday present! 
Woo Hoo!!!

HAPPY DANCE!!!!

courtesy of wikipedia.com

I'm intrigued with this interesting plant.
It's shape and color are truly unique.


This specific genus, Nepenthes, has 120 species
with additional numerous hybrids and cultivars.
Mine is known as an old world variety,
where the pitchers grow from the ends of the tendrils
that extend from the leaves.


In this photo, a young pitcher is forming from the tentril.



The "lid" hasn't formed yet
and the pitcher is still small and green.

The foliage is nothing to write home about.


The pitchers are the show stoppers.



This photo shows the back of the "neck" of the pitcher and its lid. 
The "lips" or top of the pitcher opening has an interestingly ribbed texture.

The plant grows in moist areas and does not like to be dry.
The pitchers contain a bit of liquid or water at the base, as pitchers do.
Insects are attracted into the pitcher by pigmentation or smell.
The sides of the cavity are slippery ensuring the bugs cannot climb out. 
Once inside, they are trapped at the bottom to drown.
The body of the insect is gradually dissolved and absorbed by the plant.


Here's a glimpse into the belly of one of the pitchers
where some bugs have met their demise.

Yes, the lovely pitcher plant is a carnivore.


Courtesy istock

I noticed a little bug crawling up the tendril of a pitcher.


I wonder if it knows my plant's secret?!
For me, this is the perfect addition to my poolside patio!
Organic bug control!!



And pretty at the same time!

I'm participating in Noel's monthly
Hot! Loud! and Proud! meme
(on the last day of each month). 

I think my early birthday gift is extremely HOT!
and I am very PROUD! of my new addition!!

Join in the fun or
just check out the other Hot Loud and Proud entries














30 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

That sure is an interesting plant, one I've never seen in real life. Thank you for sharing.

Wishes do sometimes come true.

Happy Birthday to you.

FlowerLady

Ami said...

Congratulations for that rare find! Happy birthday! Were you also able to find the Musseanda white-wing in your local HD? I found it here. Good luck with your rest of wish list!

Floridagirl said...

So exciting! Happy Early Birthday! (I am jealous though.) Nepenthes is such a cool genus, and that is an awesome specimen.

Ellada said...

Hello,
This is a amazing plant.

Susan said...

What a great gift and quite a nice specimen. All that and organic bug control, too. What more could you ask for? Enjoy your birthday.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly, I loved this posting and laughed out loud at your Mr Rogers who reminded me so much of men in the 1960s of a certain age wearing those awful cardigans.

And, how clever to connect it with your Pitcher plant. Which looks splendidly menacing to me. Never mind consuming bugs, it looks to me as if a small child might disappear into one of its funnels. Be careful of Lola!!

And, Happy Birthday!!

Roslyn said...

Happy Birthday and lucky you. May your pitcher plant have a long life and devour many many bugs. It's fantastic.

Kyna said...

Wow, what an awesome b-day present! :D

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Happy Birthday Kimberly, that's an impressive pitcher plant! I was fascinated by the carnivorous plant display at the SF Flower and Garden show earlier this year. Up to that point my experience with them hadn't really ventured beyond a venus flytrap! Many of the carnivorous plants really are quite beautiful, and this one is no exception.

biobabbler said...

ooh, great! I LOVE carnivorous plants. Yours is so elaborate--cool!

I'd just bought a pot of several kinds on a road trip which included meeting my very new boyfriend with said carnivorous plants in tow. My mother was concerned he'd think it was odd. I shrugged that off and arrived and he thought they were super cool. He is now my husband. =)

One said...

Happy Birthday, Kimberly! I am very happy for you that one of your wishes has come true. The rest are on its way. :) That shot of the back of neck of the red pitcher is great! I wouldn't have thought of that.

lotusleaf said...

Happy Birthday, Kimberly! Your Pitcher plant is wonderful.

Noel Morata said...

aloha kimberly,

nepenthes are quite exotic, i just went to one of our largest growers recently and they are amazing plants, will post on this soon...isn't natural bug control great :)

Lona said...

Well Blogger just did a number on my comment I think so I will try again. If you get this twice please forgive me.
Your new plant is so fantastic and unusual. Does it eat fingers? LOL! I am glad you got the birthday flower plant that you will so enjoy.
Happy Birthday and may your birthday be filled with family, friends, love and many more flowers.

Kimberly said...

Hello, Flowerlady! Thank you so much for my early birthday wishes! Yes, wishes do come true, thankfully! This one was found at the local farmers market. I wish you could see it close up and personal...you'd love it!


Hi, Ami! I DID LOOK for the Musseanda when you told me you saw it at Lowes, but the local stores here did not carry it. :( That's OK...I'll find it when the time is right. Thank you for the early birthday wishes!

Hey, FG! Thank you for wishing me a happy early birthday. I'm surprised you don't have one of these little jewels in your collection!

Hi, Ellada! I'm glad you like the Pitcher Plant too. I've had my eye on it for quite some time.

Susan, thank you for my early birthday wishes! And, yes, the Nepenthes IS a great gift. I'm pretty excited over it, which my family finds quite humorous. To each his own, right?! :)


Hello, Edith! I'm so happy you enjoyed my Mr. Rogers reference! I have a great respect for Fred Rogers and his life's work. He was a wonderful man!

The pitcher plant IS a bit threatening, isn't it, especially to an unexpecting bug. Mine is of a manageable size, however, there is a HUGE Australian version that is very scary, gigantic and hairy. I don't think I would enjoy that one on my patio.

Kimberly said...

Hi, Missy! Thank you for the birthday wishes and plant wishes for long life. In Greek, we say, "Chronia Pola!", or "Many years!".

Hi, Kyna! I love it too, obviously. :)

Hi, Clare! I would love to view many varieties of carnivorous plants as you did! I imagine there are so many different kinds that are unfamiliar to most of us. What fun! And thank you very much for the kind birthday wishes!!

Hey, BB! What a great story!! I agree with your mom in a way...carnivorous plants are a bit creepy but you can't help but be fascinated by them! As long as they don't come in gigantic versions with long tendrils like an octopus that grab people. Hmmm. I think I've seen some low budget sci-fi movie like that.

Hi, One! If you saw the plant up close, you'd notice the exceptional texture and color of the neck instantly. It's so unique, I think! Thank you so much for wishing me a Happy Birthday!

Hey, LL! Thank you so very much for the wonderful birthday wishes! I'm glad you enjoyed my pitcher plant post!

Kimberly said...

Hi, Missy! Thank you for the birthday wishes and plant wishes for long life. In Greek, we say, "Chronia Pola!", or "Many years!".

Hi, Kyna! I love it too, obviously. :)

Hi, Clare! I would love to view many varieties of carnivorous plants as you did! I imagine there are so many different kinds that are unfamiliar to most of us. What fun! And thank you very much for the kind birthday wishes!!

Hey, BB! What a great story!! I agree with your mom in a way...carnivorous plants are a bit creepy but you can't help but be fascinated by them! As long as they don't come in gigantic versions with long tendrils like an octopus that grab people. Hmmm. I think I've seen some low budget sci-fi movie like that.

Hi, One! If you saw the plant up close, you'd notice the exceptional texture and color of the neck instantly. It's so unique, I think! Thank you so much for wishing me a Happy Birthday!

Hey, LL! Thank you so very much for the wonderful birthday wishes! I'm glad you enjoyed my pitcher plant post!

Kimberly said...

Hi, Aaron! I'm SOOOO happy you identified my Nepenthes for me! And you give fantastic advise for growing a healthy one. Thank you!


Hi, Noel! Although my pitcher plant can't nearly top your amazing lava flow post / pics, I'm really happy with it. My new plant is bringing me so much joy! Exotic is the perfect descriptive for it. I'm looking forward to your post about other pitcher plants!


Hey, Lona! I think my pitcher plant is friendly toward all, unless I decide otherwise. HAHA! Thank you so much for the lovely birthday wishes!!

Meems said...

Hi Kimberly,
First off... Happy birthday! Such great gifts plants are... perfect actually for any gardener. That new plant looks like a very healthy beauty. I wonder if mosquitoes are attracted to it? Your mention of Mr. Rogers as a child makes me think I am old enough to be your mom. I loved that show for my children. It was me who was more intent on watching it than them I think. :-)
Meems

Carol said...

Well I do hope only pesky bugs will be lured into your fun pitchers. They are cool looking in a wonderfully weird sort of way. Dear old Mr. Rogers. Happy Almost Birthday Kimberly. ;>)

BernieH said...

An incredible plant ... what a terrific birthday gift! Happy birthday ... and enjoy this fabulous unusual plant.

Shyrlene said...

Kimberly - 1st and foremost: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

What a most excellent plant! ...along with a great write-up and photos. :)

Gary said...

Hi Kimberley,
Sorry, I missed this post. Happy belated birthday!
I love the pitcher plant, both beautiful and macabre.

NanaK said...

My goodness, but that plant is hot, loud, and proud! What an unusual specimen. I hope it is happy slurping up bugs on your patio.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. Loved the post and the story. I liked the cute graphics too. One of my weaknesses. I love to add the color and humor. You post made me smile...Mr. Rogers and all.

joey said...

Love your fun site and great photos! Happy Birthday :)

Carolyn ♥ said...

You are delightful...
Happy Birthday!

SiestaSister said...

Happy Birthday!! I lost my pitcher plant to the cold weather last winter. I need to look for a new one.

Q said...

Happy Birthday!
I think your early birthday present is very cool...hot and I too would be proud!
Sherry

Hazar said...

Realy nice blog. I like it