Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Orchid in Every Language...

Orchids are one of the plants that have captured my interest this year.  I've always thought of them as delicate and difficult.  I certainly never thought of them as a native plant.  I've always categorized orchids as show flowers...for the professionals only, not lowly ameteurs such as myself.  My first orchid was given to me several years ago as a birthday gift.  I was impressed with the ease of maintenance and the bloom length (2 months!).  Another friend gave me a book about orchids...one of those ORTHO books from HD or Lowes.  I learned quite a bit from this book, apparently, because my "parent" produced 5 babies within the following year.  I started noticing other orchids and asking questions. 


I saw this one called "Trick or Treat" at a plant sale last year. I love the color!

I went to my first orchid show about 2 years ago.  It was very impressive!  I couldn't believe the variety although I didn't know any of the names!  The exhibits were outstandingly pristine and untouchable...the kind of blooms that only professionals could hope to expect.










This is my favorite...
gorgeous bunches of blooms cascading like a waterfall!
Since that first show, I have attended numerous expositionss and met many gardeners who specialize in orchids.  I found out something CRAZY...they're normal people and orchids are normal plants !!!

This is a member of the local orchid society demonstrating
the hardiness of a Phalaenopsis and the basics of repotting orchids.

The more I learned from these very down-to-earth gardeners, the more I learned about the exotic, other-worldly orchid.  These "specialists" have given me a gift...a comfort level with orchids.  I've made the leap from reading about orchids and viewing them as someone else's prize to having a few of my own.  Here's the lineup...
My first Dendrobium...


Several varieties of Phalaenopsis...









 
A bare root Vanda youngster...


V. Gordon Dillon bluespot (the big purple blooms with white spots)...

Ground Orchids


Spathoglotis Plicata and


pretty Epidendrum passed along by Adina at Manure Depot
and my newest variety...

Chtra. Sharifa Alsagoff.  WHAT?!
Chtra. is the accepted abbreviation for the genus Christieara,
a cross of three genera: Aeridies x Ascocentrum x Vanda.
I hit the orchid sale at the Port St. Lucie Botanical Garden...


There were many vendors but my favorite and most affordable was


Alexis' exhibit was more earthy and creative...
much more "me" than the elegant and perfect cattleya and slipper orchid vendors. 

Although the blooms were beautiful!
And multi-colored!

So many varieties of Cattleya!


However, back at Alexis' booth,
orchids and bromelaids were tucked "naturally" into
coconut shells and bamboo shoots. 

Another really cool vendor was Nature's Relics...


showcasing natural cedar wood pieces.  Love it!

I was excited to take in the brand new orchid room at the garden.  
Many of the orchids were "planted" only
2-3 months ago since the gardens are new.  


This is a great example for attaching an orchid to a tree trunck.
Notice the plant will grow sideways so water will not pool in the crown, causing rot.


Numerous Phalaenopsis attached to one tree.


This Dendrobium is already in bloom!


As is this attractive spider variety!


Another in bloom is the lovely ground orchid, Spathoglotis Plicata.
Here I am with my purchases...


Check out the roots on my lovely Christieara orchid!!!  Like a bride carrying her veil!
(Yes, I have a fantastic bird's nest fern, too,
along with a few interesting tillandsia hiding in the bag)


Here's my new Bird's Nest Fern at home on my viranda!

As a new orchid enthusiast, I have gleened courage and confidence from a few bloggers...

I also enjoy a few "orchid 101" reference books...


This was my first Orchid book...I still reference it! 


Another necessity!


It really is!

You don't have to be a dummy to find this book helpful!

Finally, something a little random and just for fun!!!

ORCHID
ορχιδέα (Greek)
兰花 (Chinese)
السحلية  (Arabic)
orhideja (Croatian)
orchidee (Dutch, German)
dapo (Philipino)
orkidea (Finnish, Italian)
orchidej (Czech)
orchidée (French)
आर्किड (Hindi)
magairlín (Irish)
סחלב (Hebrew)
蘭 (Japanese)
난초 (Korean)
орхидеи (Macedonian)
رنگ ارغوانی روشن (Persian)
orquídea (Portuguese)
орхидея (Russian)
กล้วยไม้ (Thai)
orkide (Turkish)
cây lan (Vietnamese)
Tegeirian (Welsh)
אָרכידייע (Yiddish)

Did I leave anyone out?!





29 comments:

Antique ART Garden said...

One a fun informative trip to the orchid shows. Great photos , growing on the side of trees is a unusual idea. Not sure if I like it, leaning towards not...but is interesting. You look so happy with your goodies, very nice ! Gina

Unknown said...

Those photos are fabulous. I went to an orchid show back in the late 80's and the people were so rude - said "if you don't know what you are doing - don't buy them." I was stunned. Never went to another orchid show. Since then I have met many orchid vendors who are quite charming and tell me to try one. I still hesitate to this day. The industry has come along way - to the better.

Dave and Trish said...

Orchids........we have about half a dozen. Most of the time it's "hit or miss" on the success meter. I think we haven't reached that comfort level yet. "Orchids for Dummies" might be just the thing to buy. Do yours bloom any particular time of year in your neck of the woods?
PS - Thanks for visiting our blog and the comment on the upcoming Succulent and Cactus Show. The bigger the attendance, the merrier the show!

Ami said...

Kimberly: Fabulous photos of orchids! I love your Christieara orchid and the bird's nest fern! You have a great collection of orchids. I also kind of starting mine, but trying not to get myself too obsessed with it since I already have too many obsessions, and the orchids could be quite pricey.

P.S. I just made a post about a wild orchid in my garden.

Meems said...

Hi Kimberly,
All your orchids are lovely.

I've wanted to do that in my trees for the longest time but haven't actually ever gotten around to it. Not an orchid person so far but Susan's orchids always make me want to add them to my list. All orchid growers I know say how easy they are to grow if you just leave them alone mostly. Sounds too easy. :-)
Meems

Unknown said...

I just adore orchids myself, Kimberly.
Have a great day.
Costas

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly, I have always avoided orchids believing them to be difficult and requiring specialist treatment. Added to that, I tend to fail with indoor plants. This posting is inspirational for you have demonstrated here that it is possible to grow them successfully and, as in your case, to become not only interested but also very knowledgeable about them. Your own are wonderful.

NanaK said...

Such beautiful orchids, both at the shows AND in your care. I'd say an obsession has been born in you. I have a few (5) but I haven't been a good orchid Nana. I put my poor ailing phals outside during this past rainy month and YAY! There are two bloom spikes! I guess you're right that less attention is better. Your veranda must be beautiful with those lovely orchids.

Gary said...

Hi Kimberley,
Orchids are the best, aren't they?
I love the photo of you with your new purchases, don't you just love the optimism some retailers have with their carrier bags and just what you can actually get in them?
For me Cymbidiums are the winners as they are just sooo pretty in shape and colour.......lovely post!

Floridagirl said...

Your orchid collection is beautiful. I like that bird's nest fern too! I'm so glad I read this post! I had forgotten there is an orchid show coming to a location near me in a couple of weeks. I must take advantage of that opportunity! I've never been to one.

africanaussie said...

Such lovely photos, orchids just seem so wonderfully exotic. The only ones I have had any real success with though are the ground orchids. I will have to follow along and read your advice....

chars gardening said...

I love your orchids. I don't have any but I think they are beautiful. I've always thought they would be to hard to grow, and have never taken the time to learn about them. I'll have to see if there are any orchid shows in my area.

Steve Asbell said...

That looks like a blast! I'm kind of smitten with the super easy encyclias and epicattleyas, because they're tolerant of any neglect I can throw at them. Two of mine are hybridized with the native butterfly orchid so should prove to have some cold hardiness too!

Sunita Mohan said...

Great photos! I think we grow the same kind of orchids. I have a whole lot of Dendrobiums, Vandas, Phals, etc. too but that Christieara looks intriguing!
And yes, I grow a lot of my orchids 'mounted' on trees too. They're just so much happier that way.

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

I love easy maintenance orchids - I wish we could tie them up trees here. The tree must look wonderful when they are in bloom. Happy orchids have long roots so you must have a very happy one under your arm in that photo Kimberley.

Anderson Moore Construction Corp. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anderson Moore Construction Corp. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kimberly said...

TG, I'm so sad to hear your story. That's a real shame. But, honestly, take my word for it that all orchid enthusiasts are not snotty and rude. Most, in my experience, have been wonderful and encouraging. Don't let that one incident get you down, my friend!

Kimberly said...

Hi, Gina! The photos of the orchids in the trees are newly mounted, remember. After awhile, they attach themselves and climb all over the trees...they're really beautiful! I'm glad you found the idea and garden interesting. And, yes, I'm thrilled with my purchases! :)

Kimberly said...

Dave and Trish, I probably won't visit the show this weekend as Tampa is a bit of a ride for me. I'm sad to miss it, though...I've never been to one and it sounds fantastic! I'm looking forward to photos.

My different varieties bloom at different times. The little Vanda is too young to bloom so I don't know yet. The Phals were in bloom when I purchased them in the spring. Two sent up additional spikes which was a nice treat. I don't know if they'll bloom twice or just once a year. We'll see. The Dendrobium is a creature of habit, blooming twice a year...once in Sept/Oct (for my birthday, of course) and again in the springtime. My ground orchids haven't bloomed for me this year...only foliage. I'm wondering if they are still regrouping after the nasty cold last winter. However, prior to this year, they were great bloomers most all summer long.

Kimberly said...

Hi, Ami! Yes, I saw your wild orchid in your last post...I'm very jealous! I'd swoon with delight if I found a wild orchid in my landscape!!! You're so very fortunate!! A definite blessing!

I've been very fortunate to find great bargains on my orchids, and some have been given to me.

Kimberly said...

Hi, Meems! I think your garden would be the perfect environment for orchids in trees! Wow! I'd never leave! Susan has definitely inspired me with her orchid collection and advise. Come on...join the club! :)

Susan said...

Hi Kimberly...Oh, I see you are so addicted now. Hurray for you! Orchids are a great addiction to have, and your collection is growing quite nicely and they are lovely. Love the color of Trick or Treat...very unusual. I look forward to seeing your new purchases when they bloom. Enjoy, and thanks for the mention.

Noelle Johnson said...

Hi Kimberly,

I just bought my first two orchids about a year ago. They sit behind my kitchen sink and so far they are doing pretty well. I put them outside whenever we get a nice summer rain and then water them myself as needed. What beautiful pictures.....I can see why you love orchids :-)

Helen Lewis said...

Good to know someone, other than myself, who had some misconceptions about orchids. My mother grew orchids on trees around her house in the Philippines but when I came to the states I treated orchids like they are "ICU-plants". As a result they behaved exactly like that.

Last year I brought my cymbidiums (ones that I got as presents)outside - I was ready to give up on them. I left them in the backyard - sun, rain and everything. To my surprise they bloomed and had new growths for the first time in years. So I brought them to the patio where we could appreciate them. Their flowers remained for months. When the sun got hotter I moved them under a tree...and right now they are very happy where they. I'm expecting several spikes per plant come December-February.

Now, the next thing for me is to understand the management of my Epidendrum which I got from a relative last month.

Priscilla @ Homegrown Delight said...

Great photos. I love Orchids! I wish I live in a tropical climate but I'm up here in the mountains. I haven't had any luck growing orchids. I'll have to try again someday. Your Orchids are gorgeous! Have a great weekend :)

Elizabeth Barrow said...

Beautiful orchids! I've ever tried do so a single thing with them, but you are inspiring me.
Thanks for your hummingbird comment on my post -- that's how I'll regard him, as a guest with bad manners!
Cheers!
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Very educational, thanks for sharing. Love Orchids, but they don't always love me back.

Prem said...

Thanks very much for the mention on your blog!

---Prem
The Florida Native Orchid Blogger