Every gardener has a wish list...those coveted blooms that we "must" have!
It may not be a formal list...maybe just something kept quietly in mind.
Regardless of the method of record, every gardener
has some sort of a wish list.
Here's a few items on my wish list...
Pitcher Plant (Nepenthes)
Courtesy of Wikipedia.com
This is numero uno on my list...must have!!!
Pitcher plants are carnivorous.
They actually have a "lid" on top of their "pitcher"
to trap curious or thirsty insects inside the pitcher.
I just like the way they look.
Musseanda
This plant has great interest to me...
look at the vibrant green color of the leaves,
the amazing white bracts and the bright orange blooms.
So much going on here!
Here's the yellow version...
The bloom appears embossed. I love it!
Another "wish" is the Blackberry Lily.
Courtesy Wikipedia.com
Susan of Simply Susan has generously offered seeds,
as well as Meems of Hoe and Shovel.
I can't wait!!!
Another "must have" was spotted at the
Tropical Ranch Botanical Gardens...
Yellow striped Allamanda. Very striking and unique!!
Another I spotted at Tropical Ranch, although not for sale...
The ZigZag Cactus, also known as the Fishbone Cactus.
I have a soft spot for succulents, and this one really pushes my buttons!
I'd also like a couple of Florida natives...
Courtesy of http://www.floridata.com/ref/r/rhod_aus.cfm
Florida Native Flame Azalea - Beautiful!!!
And the native Spider Lily!! Angelic, isn't it?
There are others on my list, such as the Trick or Treat orchid...
This orchid is a mix...L. Icarus x L. Chit Chat
Fantastic combination!!
This one is not a Florida native but it's still really amazing...
The Australian Rock Orchid. I love it!!!
This list is certainly not all-inclusive, and the list grows daily. However, this is a sampling of some of my favorite "wish list" blooms.





16 comments:
Spider lilies and Mussaenda are quite common here. The Australian rock orchid is a stunner. I too would love to have it.
Hi Kimberly, pretty much all you have is not found here..the spider lily catches my eye
I'll have to watch for seeds of the spider lily when mine blooms again. I also just collected some blackberry lily seeds from my plant and am thrilled to have more to plant. I see new babies coming up next to where this one is now growing. The main plant is starting to look bedraggled, so maybe this happens at the end of every growing season. I just grew this from seed last year. You will love it. I'm glad others are sending you seeds. Some of mine already fell into the garden bed, so I'll see if new plants come up from them.
That pitcher plant is amazing, and the orchids beautiful.
FlowerLady
Ooh, a pitcher plant is on my wish list too. Love that striped allamanda. I saw that once before on a blog...I think it was here. ??? So beautiful! Certainly one I've never seen in a nursery. And I do love the native spider lily. I've seen far more in the wild than I've ever seen for sale in a nursery. Wait. I've NEVER seen one for sale in a nursery. EVER. What's the deal? Is everyone collecting them from the wild or getting pass-alongs?
My boys always had a thing about carnivorous plants when they were children, but venus fly traps and pitchers plants wouldn't grow in my yard. Last year we all visited the Oregon coast together, and we stopped at a park where pitcher plants were growing three feet tall. My adult boys were like kids again, and so was I!
The Spider Lily is one of the few plants that looks like its name:)
When you find your Pitcher Plant, be warned that you will want more! My mother brought me one and then I stumbled on a variety with larger pitchers and I had to have it. I justified the cost by splitting it with my mother. So far, so good with both of them. I just adore the fact that they eat bugs...very cool!! The ZigZag Cactus is great! I actually was just introduced to it Saturday and the nice owner of it snipped me off a cutting. I'm a succulent addict, so I was thrilled to add it to my collection. Stop by my blog later and take a look at it.
Hi Kimberly, I have the plant in the fourth photo. I bought 10 pots sometime ago. They can be propagated via stem. I haven't seen any seeds or I would send them to you. There are lots of Musseanda planted as bushes on the road sides. Most are white but some are pink. Will look out for the seeds, if any.
I can definitely relate to having a list of plants I would love to plant in my garden. Usually these plants have nothing to do with where I have space for them. Your list is an interesting mix. I wonder if that flame azalea would make it as far south as you are. I've never seen any here in central FL only in the northern areas of the state. The Blackberry lily is one I just added to my garden and I'm hoping to collect some seeds. There are green pods on them now. You'll love 'em.
Hi Kimberly.
The spider plant is truly angelic. I would love to have that in my garden.
I thought I would let you know that I have photo of my cockatoo, CreamCheez on my blog today. His photo is at the end of the post. He is a Moluccan and looks a lot like Lola. Stop by to see him.
Donna
Hello,
Nice wish list, you have good taste.
Hi FloridaGirl...what a great wish list. I can see some on here I would enjoy having as well. By the way, I've started to harvest some of the blackberry lilies, but want to wait until I get a few more seeds before mailing them to you. It won't be long now...
You have a lovely site, Kimberly, a delight to visit. Thank you for stopping by and saying hello. Great choices on your wish list, some unfamiliar probably because of where I live. I adore spider lilies and once had beloved Blackberry Lilies, the seeds from Mt. Vernon :( The Australian Rock Orchid is indeed a beauty.
Kimberly: Just want you know that I saw the yellow Musseanda at HD in my area. You might want to check the one in your area, so that you can cross one out of your wish list :) Most of things on your list would be on mine as well! I saw that pitcher plant back in China, very unique!
Thanks for stopping by and for the follow...you're added to my list now as well!
It's always nice to find another plant lover!!
Hi Kimberly,
The on-going wish list... you've got some good ones on yours. It's interesting to see what folks dream of for their gardens. I'm pretty sure when you get all of these there will be more because that is what 'growing' is all about right? It's a beautiful process of learning. Gardening is just so wonderful!
Meems
Post a Comment