Sunday, March 21, 2010

Weekend Wrapup - ORCHIDS!!

I was a bit bummed this weekend as all my plans fell apart.  The garden show I was supposed to attend is actually next weekend. (At least all is not lost...we'll revisit this next weekend)


Then we were supposed to go out out on our boat but the weather turned for the worse and anchored us at home.


Completely disgusted, we set the brakes at a roadside orchid stand displaying a huge sign,
 "5 for $20".  
HOLY COW!!!! 

My daughter, who is only 8, took these shots.  I must brag...I think she's amazingly talented! 


Of course, I'm a bit biased, but who wouldn't be with this little cutie?!?!?! 
(Sorry, I'm not very humble when it comes to my children!!) 


Look what she did with my simple camera....






































So what is one to do?  I mean, I had to cheer myself up, right?  I purchased 5 for $20. 
That's $4 EACH!!!
This is what we came home with...









I wanted this one that was way too cool for words, but demanded a whopping $80. 
Bummer for me.



I apologize for not knowing the names of these amazing blooms.  I'm not an orchid expert by any extreme.  Perhaps Susan at Simply Susan can help me out?!?!

Looking back, I can't complain. I enjoyed my weekend. Spent time with family and good friends, landed some lovely new orchids, and saw the sun accompanied by warm 80 degree F temps...FINALLY!!!

23 comments:

NanaK said...

Those orchids are sweet compensation for your earlier disappointment. Your choices are very nice. I think that white one with the purple splotches is beautifully unique. You really got a great deal on the price too. Your cute "personal photographer" did a great job. I really enjoyed all the beautiful pictures.

Meems said...

Really okay to be biased ... your little cutie has talent. She has an eye for photographry and pretty flowers. You can't beat that price for orchids... all very pretty. I'm with you that last one is amazing but way over my budget. I can get a lot of plants for $80. Glad your weekend turned out okay. It was really beautiful Saturday for gardening.
Meems

Karen ~ Wall Flower Studio said...

At $4.00 each, I would have filled my vehicle! The pictures are excellent. I'm drooling over some of them!
Hope that made up for the show not being this weekend! Enjoy your new orchids : )

BernieH said...

How did you stop at just 5? That would have been a real problem for me! I must say that white orchid with the purple splotches is outstanding ... that one caught my eye immediately .. as did that beautiful speckled purple one ... but I'm not sure I could justify spending $80 on one plant! Your daughter's photos were also outstanding ... a budding talent?

Jayne said...

Now why don't I come across roadside stands offering such wonderful orchids at such bargain prices? (insert grumble here) Seriously, you made out like a bandit this weekend. Your daughter's photos are awesome.

Susan said...

And I thought we got inexpensive orchids in Hawaii! I have paid as little as $3 each, but they are usually seconds...

Aloha

debsgarden said...

Now that will cheer up any gardener! These are really beautiful, and I like your selections. And yes, your daughter is very talented!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can choose a favourite - they are all just lovely!

Kimberly said...

Yes, the orchid stand WAS a consolation prize for the other disappointments. What a great place, especially considering it being a simple roadside stand!
Thank you all for understanding and appreciating my bias for my daughter! She's so excited to see that everyone likes here photos! :)

Ami said...

how lucky you are to find those great orchid deals! I would have bouthgt at least 5! You choices are all very beautiful. Your daughter captured the beauty of those orchids. Glad the weekend turned out to be a good one for you!

Kyna said...

Your daughter took some awesome pictures!! :D
Those orchids are beautiful....

sanddune said...

Kimberly,
You got a good price on the Orchids. The ones you brought home look like some type of hybrid Phalaenopsis. They should have thick large floppy dog ear like leaves at the base. Be careful collecting orchids is addicting....

Noelle Johnson said...

I would have been out of my mind with excitement to find orchids for such a great price! How wonderful that you were able to purchase some. I love the white one with the purple spots best. Your daughter is a wonderful photographer...must take after her mother :-)

Floridagirl said...

Those are great prices for orchids! I love the last one and the third from the last; whatever their names might be, they are beautiful. I've found that phals are way hard to identify because there are thousands of cultivars out there. Try this website: www.bigleaforchids.com

On a completely random tangent, I once found orchids at Lowe's reduced to $2. Their glass and glazed porcelain pots were worth more than that! Plus, I knew for a fact, they had all been $25 the week before. In all my excitement trying to verify (in disbelief) with the clerk that they were indeed $2, and then rushing to gather them up in my cart, I am afraid that I attracted the attention of another woman, and the competition was on! Me and my big mouth!

Your daughter's pictures are wonderful! We bought our two younger kids cameras for Christmas a couple years ago, and they just keep getting better and better with them. My daughter is a genius with pet portraits. (I'm ashamed to say I just cannot do a thing in this genre.) And my son has a guy's eye, taking weird photos of his reflection in water and pictures of shoes and stuff like that. Very interesting.

Susan said...

Oh, how I wish I had seen that sign. Five orchids for $20 --- WOW! Where is this guy located? I do wish I could help you out with the names but I don't really keep up with all that...I just buy orchids because I love them. I do know they are all phaleonopsis which are known for their long-lived blooms, so you'll be enjoying these beauties for quite a long time. P.S. Don't cut the flower stalk off when the flowers die. Many times, new shoots will come out of the old one and they'll flower again. Enjoy your beauties...you made some great choices!

ChrisC said...

I couldn't have stopped with just 5 either.Wow!I wish I could happen upon a sale like you did.
And I don't know the names,either.I just know what I like.

Anonymous said...

Kimberly, I'm impressed; it looks as though you have a garden blogger in the making! Before you know it, she'll not only be taking photos, but writing guest posts for your blog. -Jean

Meredith said...

The $80 one was nice -- but I like your choices better, esp. the white one with magenta polka dots and lots of white space to appreciate them (3rd from bottom).

No one is humble about their children. I even wonder if it's really possible. Your delight in her shows, and that's as it should be. She clearly has an eye for beauty!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Your daughter did an amazing job with photography! So many beautiful orchids there! Hope you have fun at the garden show next weekend.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

A great bargain for these fantastic orchids. Yes, the cutie has done well with the camera. Do you think you have got a budding photographer at your hands. It is fun when the children discover a hobby. Today it is easy too it does not cost a fortune to buy rolls of film and developing them as well. If I were a collector I probably would spend
80 $ for an orchid, but I am more a bargain hunter and 5 for 20 would do me fine!

Karyl said...

Your daughter did a great job. Good find on the orchids!

Anonymous said...

Aren't they just the most amazing blooms? I'm afraid my experience with orchids has been less than stellar, but I plan to try again. :) I love the orange one!

Anonymous said...

your young photographer may just have a budding career on her hands! great photos of an beautiful variety of orchids!