Monday, June 14, 2010

Bloom Day and Summer

Ahhhhh...the month of June! What a wonderful month and the official beginning of summer (June 21)!  Thankfully the days are long, providing time to cram additional activities into one 24-hour period. In South Florida, June brings hot, humid days that spark ferocious thunder storms and stirs up hurricanes.

Ladies, never let a hurricane cramp your sense of style!
Hurricane shoes come in all colors and sizes!

June is a time for the beach, boating, swimming pools and monstrous plant growth (especially weeds that seemingly become trees overnight). 

I spent the weekend weeding and cutting back overgrowth, allowing preferred plants some much needed air and space.  However, I took time to grab a few shots for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.  Caladiums have been all the rage in my yard.  I planted them in shady, dark spots under bushes where they've jumped to life and are quickly outgrowing their bushy ceiling.


These rest under a Star Jasmine bush.

These two enjoy the cool breeze under the Presidential Hibiscus bush.

This Caladium leaf would make a lovely bud vase, don't you think?

The Orange Jasmine sprang into action, providing intoxicating perfume and an abundance of snowy white blooms for the hellaciously hot days.



The sunny yellow Allamanda shows no signs of the harsh winter.



I've featured my canna lilies so many times, but this tropicanna gold never gets boring.


My young mango is providing a small harvest this year...its first!


The honeysuckle made a showing for it's last bloom day.  I extracted the vine this weekend in favor of less invasive plants.  I had mixed feelings about it, but it's a done deal.


The butterfly milkweed is doing it's job. 


The Pentas and Moss Rose help attract butterflies too.



We've enjoyed many varieties of butterflies, including the Monarch and Swallowtail.  I'm not usually fast enough to capture a good shot though.


It's also time for the hoards of dragon flies that dance about the yard every evening.


And the lizards are joyfully running around the yard.
This little guy likes hanging out in the coconut in the shade of the palms and arboricola.


He's taking a closer look at me too.


And this green anole feels safe as he blends in with the White Bird of Paradise stalks.


My little cactus is full of powder pink buds.  Isn't it sweet?


Oxalis Charmed Wine is also in full bloom


Other June bloomers include:
Gaillardia
Purple Cone Flower (echinacea)
Fire Bush
Bolivian Sunset
Red Salvia
Purple Angelonia
Ixora Yellow
Vinca purple, pink, fuschia and white
Hibiscus red and yellow varieties
Lantana gold, red and orange
Purple Dianthus
Firecracker Plant

If you'd like to see what's growing in other June gardens or would like to participate, be sure to stop by May Dreams Gardens for Carol's Garden Bloggers Bloom Day!

Happy Gardening!

21 comments:

Steve Asbell said...

My gardens full of dragonfies too, thankfully they help eat the skeeters! I especially like your photos of the "hurricane shoes" and the lizard in the birdhouse.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Mangoes! Now that's something I'm definitely not growing...how fun though! I suppose that's one benefit of living in a tropical climate, along with all of the stunningly colorful plants you can grow. I love the color of your cannas, and that caladium leaf is spectacular, it would make a lovely vase.

Gloria Bonde said...

How wonderful is that mango!

Susan said...

Such lovely and plentiful summer blooms. I agree with Rainforest Gardener the lizard in the coconut and the hurricane shoes...especially those shoes are a hoot! By the sound of the hurricane predictions for '10, looks like we all might need to buy a pair of those. :-)

lotusleaf said...

Lovely flowers!I have the same flowers in my garden too. The hurricane shoes are so stylish! But I doubt if they could be of use in the monsoons !

Ami said...

Lovely bloomings in your garden! That cactus is really colorful! That canna lily looks almost like a flame. So pretty! Mine is growing huge leaves, but no flowers! Wonder if I am doing something wrong :(

I also finally got Oxalis Charmed Wine, those white flower with hint of pink is very beautiful against the dark purple leaves.

Gary said...

Hi Kimberley,
Your garden really is filled with a wonderful selection of beautiful plants. And what lovely photos you give us to enjoy it as well. Canna lilies, they used to be here in the UK in abundance and still are one of my favourite plants for the summer, but for some reason they don't grow so well nowadays and you can't also seem to find them to purchase any more.

NanaK said...

I can almost smell that orange jasmine and its blooms are so pretty too. Your cannas are a bloom I will never tire of seeing. My own cannas just started blooming this week. I have a native yellow that still isn't blooming, needs rain I think. Your list of bloomers is quite impressive and must be wonderful to enjoy whenever you walk outside.

Floridagirl said...

Those are some crazy shoes!!! Snorkeling in high heels, maybe? Really bizarre. Anyway, those caladiums are nice. They really light up the June garden, don't they? I never get tired of canna blooms, and your mangos look luscious!

Katie said...

Ok, I LOVE the shoes, if only because I live in Coastal North Carolina, also land of hurricanes.

Antique ART Garden said...

What a beautiful garden you have ! Let's hope the heat wave we are having dissipates some as it is making it brutal to be outside. I love your profile picture with your large Macaw ? Not completely up on my birds , but great photo of you two ! Take care, Gina

Antique ART Garden said...

Gee whiz, forget that bird-misnaming up there, it plainly says COCKATOO in your profile !

Rosie@leavesnbloom said...

Kimberly I love them all. That little oxalis is so pretty. Its sold here as a summer annual but I've never bought one yet. Your allamander looks great - not a yellow leaf in sight - as houseplants here they are always going yellow. And such fabulous photos of the little critters in the garden. I've never managed to get a butterfly photo yet.

Alice Joyce said...

Wonderful blooms! But gotta ask about that first photo...
- swimming/snorkeling flippers with high heels, for real?
Really, really?? Too cool.
I miss caladiums. They grew so well in the humid heat of my Chicago garden, but not here with the cool nights.
Stay dry, away from storms:~]

Rhonda Carrier said...

Your mango is encouraging. I only planted one in April so I won't see fruit for a long, long time, but it is good to see that it is possible.

Carol said...

Hi Kimberly,
It is lovely to see your world again! I love your H. shoes! LOL! Your Orange Jasmine looks delicious! The fragrance must be heavenly and Oh! to be able to grow Mangos! Hope you have been enjoying your garden this spring... nearly summer though with the temperatures the south has been having it is more like mid summer already. ;>)

garden girl said...

Oh my gosh, those hurricane shoes are hilarious! Your mangoes are making my mouth water, and I love caladiums. Of course here, they have to brought in for the winter.

Unknown said...

Oh WOW! Mangoes, and birds of paradise, and cannas and jasmine... I'm so jealous! It's so beautiful! :)

The hurricane shoes, by the way... are HILARIOUS! Which color do you have? ;)

Sylvana said...

My mouth is watering over the mango picture. They look so perfect and nummy!

Those hurricane shoes are a riot! They are about as impractical as women's shoes get, I think.

Houston Garden Girl said...

Your mango is awesome, did you have to protect it this winter? Mine is 2 years old and almost didn't survive the unusually cold winter in Houston.

Les said...

Do they make the hurricane shoes in men's styles?