This is the front entry of Jim and Diane's private residence. Paradise!
We were greeted by Diane, Jim, and numerous volunteers and provided a map of the various gardens.
We were also greeted by the 20+ chickens and roosters who call Tropical Ranch home.
They were proud to show us around.
The first exotic bloom decorating the entry to the gardens is the Dutchman's Pipe Vine, host to the lovely Plydamus and Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly.
After passing through the International Garden, a pleasant south-of-the-border Mexican Patio Garden awaits with numerous patio rooms for spectacular outdoor entertaining.
After taking a ciesta at the Mexican Patio Garden, we move on to the
Asian Pavilion / Serenity Garden and Bamboo Garden.
I'm not happy with my photos as I didn't control the light or my hand very well on this particular mosquito-ridden morning, but I hope you can see the beauty the gardens have to offer.
Asian Pavilion / Serenity Garden and Bamboo Garden.
I'm not happy with my photos as I didn't control the light or my hand very well on this particular mosquito-ridden morning, but I hope you can see the beauty the gardens have to offer.
It's difficult to see through the light, but there are many varieties and colors of bamboo, including the rare black bamboo (to the left in the photo).
As you exit the shady tropical Bamboo Garden, the Waterfall and Pond Garden welcomes visitors into an open sunny space.
Directly next to the Waterfall Garden is the Wedding Gazebo and white Moonlight Garden. But I forgot to stop by the Wine and Cheese Gazebo and Garden, which, understandably, is more interesting to me than the Wedding Gazebo.
This garden is really interesting and creative!
There's more garden spaces including the Palm Tree Garden, Herb and Spice Garden and of course the Butterfly Garden. But I got distracted by a few of the sites.
This Pencil Cactus caught me eye. I never knew it could grow this large! It's a small TREE!
I like this succulent on the bench. The effect is pretty, but the plant itself is interesting...a "fern" like succulent. I have no idea what it's called, but I like it!
This striped bamboo is ultra cool!
It doesn't look real, does it?
The highlight, aside from the actual gardens, was a garden tour followed by a butterfly garden discussion.
And if you see something you really like, you can probably purchase it.
Some of the plants I was taken with were...
A beautiful Yellow Strip Alamanda!
And this cool Peach Alamanda.
This is the pretty Pandora Vine.
The beautiful Passion Vine is host to the Gulf Fratillary and Zebra Longwing butterflies.
Pagoda Clerodendrum blooms provide nector for the butterflies.
The frilly Pagoda leaf.
This one LOOKS like a butterfly!
The exotic Orange Bird of Paradise never disappoints!
I can't remember the name of this completely amazing plant...something like Moosiana. Check out the unique qualities of this plant! The foliage is such a pretty green. Then the leaves surrounding the bloom are white!! And the bloom on this one is a bright orange. What butterfly could reject its luring power?!
Here's a closeup of the bloom!
This is the yellow version. It appears embossed! SOOOO cool!
This interesting little bloom is called Rabbit Ears.
And finally, the show stopping Walking Yellow Iris. Gotta love it!
Aside from the man-eating mosquitoes, I sincerely enjoyed my visit and look forward to stopping by again. For now, our guide shows us the way out...
Thank you for joining me!

18 comments:
Kimberly: How cool you got to visit a private garden. 35 years is very long time to develope a garden. I can imagine how the owners collect all those different varieties from different place and find home for them in the garden. Thanks for the touring, it is a very beautiful garden!
Fantastic garden ... this is full of so many familiar plants ... plants from my own garden like the Yellow Walking Iris and the Butterfly Vine. That plant you were uncertain of ... the one with the white bracts and small orange flower is a Mussaenda ... as is the one beneath with the yellow flower. I grow that one as well.
Love the striped Allamanda ... would love one of those! I also loved the waterfall garden ... and those striped bamboo!!! I really enjoyed this visit so thanks for taking us along.
Dear Kimberly, Such an interesting posting [and I have no idea why you are apologising for the quality of the photography] illustrating not only a highly unusual garden but also some wonderful, individual plants. The striped bamboo is nothing short of spectacular.
It is always of interest to have the opportunity to visit other gardens for, whatever, one comes away with so many new ideas on structure, arrangement and design, colour combinations, groupings, etc. etc. I am sure that this particular garden provided a great deal of food for thought.
Loved the tour of the gardens...thanks.
The plant on the bench is a cryptocereus anthonyanus - commonly know as zigzag cactus or fishbone cactus. Have also heard it called ric-rac cactus.
That one is gigantic. Someone gave me one this past winter. Hoping it will flower.
What a tour ! I would have been as happy as you were there, gorgeous flowers, very exotic ! thanks, Gina
This was a really spectacular garden...I will definitely visit again. After all, I have to purchase some plants!
Bernie, thank you for the correct name for the Mussaenda. I especially like this one.
Siestasister, thank you for the id on the cactus. I might add this to my garden too. Very interesting pattern. Hope you get to see yours bloom!
Edith, thank you for your kind comments re. my photography, although I honestly don't deserve them. The lighting and blurry conditions don't do the garden justice. I'm glad you enjoyed anyway. We came back with soooo many ideas!!
I think that is every gardener's dream.To have that much property to be able to do everything you want in a garden.Great place!Thanks for sharing.
Great tour Kimberly! I'm not personally a fan of bamboo, as I've seen too many friends struggle with invasive bamboos in their gardens. However, I have to admit, that striped bamboo is very amazing looking! I love the last photo of your 'tour guide' too :P
Isn't it great to soak up ideas in a place like that? I have a little more free time in summer and I plan to tour a few gardens myself. This one is a bit too far for a day-trip for me so thanks for the virtual tour.
Wow! That dutchman's pipe is probably 10 times as big as ours here in CA... (but then again, the mosquitoes are about 10 times more aggressive, so it all evens out). Thanks for the tour.
What fun to have a tour with chickens! This garden is magnificent and I can feel the heat and biters from the photos. We had a problem at the beach with the camera fogging up with the temperature change from indoors to out each morning while trying to capture the sunrise, very aggravating, but your shots are great! I love that striped bamboo, a few of those sticks in a tall pot or basket would look fabulous, pure art.
Frances
What a remarkable place! Exotic plants, wonderful flowers and gorgeous foliage, plus ornaments and animals! Thank you Kimberly!
Three acres and thirty-five years!!! I must not covet. That is truly a tropical paradise. Oh, those allamandas have caught my eye as well! How did I never know that there were special varieties of allamanda?!! They are so beautiful! Once again, I must not covet.
What a lovely garden. Unlike many botanical gardens, I like that this one is not too large and you can probably see everything without hurrying to see the next area before you have to leave.
I love chickens in a garden and I am sure they help to keep the insects down to a minimum. Striped Bamboo is way cool!
Hi,
I love the tour, beautiful garden, great decoration but my favorite was the last picture, very funny.
What a great place to visit. I have never heard of this place before but they have created their very own piece of paradise. Some very unique plants...love the allamandas.
aloha friend,
its nice to getting to visit your blog again and what a treat - a beautiful tour of this lovely place with sooo many interesting garden rooms..i agree i love that creative art garden with the built up beds made of i don't know what...what a really cool place to visit - thanks for taking us there!
Kimberly - I think you did a great job with your photography! (If I was being chomped on by mosquitoes, while trying to take pictures, you'd see blurry shots of dirt or sky as I try to smack bugs!) COOL gardens!! -Shyrlene
Post a Comment