preteen drama, work-related hurdles, personal goals and challenges,
and early morning emergency room visits.
This photo shows my husband being transferred from the local ER branch to the hospital where he was admitted for an allergic reaction to prescribed medication. He woke up to his throat swelling closed and choking. It was a dramatic start to our weekend.
After all this hubbub, I needed a quiet walk through my garden to regroup. I was not disappointed. Cheerful, colorful faces greeted me from every direction.
Pretty, happy Vinca Punch pops with color and excitement.
Vinca Titan Pure White adds an elegant brilliance that is soothing and calming.
This Fuschia and White Vinca blends the energetic vibrance of fuschia with the soothing, classic color of white.
I'm not sure if this is the pretty Purple Halo Vinca, but it definitely wraps me in comfort as it reminds me of the country and my parent's farm.
The purple vincas surround the pink Mandavilla vine. These buds remind me of something I'd get at Dairy Queen! Hmmmmm.....comfort food!!
As I continue my garden walk, I'm encouraged by the survivers in my garden. This croton all but completely gave up this last winter. Crotons are not cold hardy and we experienced several hard frosts. But, just like Old Glory, she now stands tall in full color!
I kept my fingers crossed for my young Firebush when it's branches turned dark brown and brittle. But it bounced back and displays a lovely show this summer.
These Heliconia were new additions just before the frosts plagued tropical South Florida. I thought they were lost for sure. But this one sent up a bud this afternoon!
The various Caladiums popped up throughout the garden.
Lovely colors!
And so many different kinds!
Heartwarming!
The Butterfly garden is a tough rival. The Lantana is a favorite of mine as well as countless varieties of butterflies and bees.
The vibrant Tropical Milkweed...
is a Monarch Butterfly magnet!
No butterfly can resist the Gaillardia Fanfare!
Or the Gaillardia Mesa Yellow! I love Yellow in the Garden!!
Yellow Bulbine is a tiny bloom, but I love them! What a happy little lass!
The happy pom pons of the Gomphrena, my newest addition, also attract butterflies.
The Heliconia Aemygdiana, another new addition, is thriving in a brightly lit space in my garden. The twirling red stem is a bright contrast to the variegated green and white leaves.
These purple berries are hanging on the American Beautyberry bush I am rooting. Who can resist a smile when faced with bright purple berries?!
What Dairy Queen delicacy is complete without a cherry on top?
This Tillandsia bloom was just that in my garden today!
So I checked out some of my other air plants...
Seems like it's contageous!!
So is the joy that lives in my garden...just the therapy I needed!!!


19 comments:
Hi Kimberley,
Really sorry to see hubby in hospital. I hope that he recovered quickly. And I am so jealous of the fishing you guys get to do out there, I have to content myself with Mackerel or Sea Bass in these cold and murky waters. Absolutely beautiful photos of some equally gorgeous plants!
Wow, Kimberly, I sure hope your DH is doing much better. What a way to start your weekend.
What lovely blooms and foliage to greet you in your garden walk about. It is amazing how being in our gardens can be such good therapy for us.
Hope the rest of your weekend goes nicely and that your hubby is back to normal.
FlowerLady
Kimberly-I hope this finds your husband doing much better.That's a scarey situation(I work on a hospial).Sending good thoughts your way.
And your garden looks wonderful!You're right-a stroll thru the garden is excellent therapy.
Dear Kimberly, What high drama! I do hope that your husband is making a quick recovery. These allergic reactions can be alarmingly severe. I am not surprised that you felt the need to calm down in the beautiful oasis of your garden.
I hope your hubby is doing better -- what a scary start to the weekend! Your garden is full of blooms. Wonderful!
You know I had a croton that looked like it was dead as Fred from last winter's frosts. But I was lazy and just kind of left it alone (being the wonder-gardener that I am) and now it is sprouting little bits of new growth. Wonderful little buddy. Sorry about the ER visit. Those are never fun. Remind me to tell you at some point about when my husband almost cut his finger off...
Hi Kimberley, high drama indeed - hope the patient is well again. That plant you referred to as a heleconia is in fact the variegated costus speciosus, and will form a rosette of lovely crepe paper like flowers on top of each stem. I love that plant, and the leaves are so furry to stroke! It dies down totally in the winter, but dont worry it will come right back.
Wow, that was a lot of excitement...and pretty scary. That happened to me a couple of years ago in the middle of the night. My tongue had swollen to a size where I couldn't close my mouth. Pretty scary. I've become paranoid about prescription meds now.
You're flowers all look so happy. Love the caladiums and gaillardias! Glad to see your firebush come back. Mine are huge again, but the two I planted at my son's property are only about 18 inches high now. I'm thinking it's because the plants were burned back at such a young age.
So sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he is feeling better now. I can see why you needed a walk in your garden to calm you. Most of my plants have come back from the freeze, but a few did not return. Your plants look great. I especially like the var. heliconia...very nice.
Oh my, what a scary situation. Hope your hubby is all better now. Love that spiral ginger with the variegated leaves and red stem. The many gallardias you have are so colorful. Mine (the common native orange and yellow ones) all went to seed and I yanked them out.
Sorry to hear about your hubby. I hope he's feeling better. I can relate to dramatic times, we have so much going on and need God's direction. You seem to have a positive attitude and that's awesome. Your garden blooms are amazing, pretty Caladiums too. Thanks for sharing!
Hey, everyone! Thank you for the well wishes...my husband is much better after a brief weekend stay in the hospital. So much excitement lately...I need some serious downtime! :)
AfricanAussie, you are totally correct...the variegated twirling plant is indeed a Costus Speciosus. I was tired when I referenced the official name and referenced a species that was pictured directly next to the one I should have referred to. UGH! See what I mean...I need down time, or at least a nap! :)
Gary, you're welcome to join us any time...we'll hook up a line or two for you and see what we can bring in! Come on down!
Chris, the people in the hospital were REALLY nice...what a treat!
Sandy, your husband almost cut off his finger?!?! Horrifying!
FG, you can definitely relate, can't you?! I'm nervous now, too. Who knows what is in these meds...another reason to go green and use your own remedies. But then, I'd do something stupid and give someone a halucinogen or something terrible! My gaillardia reminded me of your recent post where you found some awesome ones on the clearance rack...OH I LOVE the clearance rack!! There's a really cool ruby red gaillardia at the local big box, but I'm waiting on it to go on sale.
NanaK, my native gaillardia are going to seed right now too...I let the seed fall and cut the plant back to renew itself.
Again, many thanks to EVERYONE for your sweet, kind thoughts and support! :)
Kimberly: Sorry for the late visit! But I am glad to see your reply about your husband is much better. That was very scary, I would have felt shaked after that! Glad that you got the chance to walk through the garden to calm you down. Garden is always a comfort for we gardeners, isn't it? You have lots of beautiful bloomings there!
Hello Kimberly,
Like we say in Greece "perastika", (I hope you'll get better soon) to your husband.
Kimberly girl .. so sorry about your husband but glad he received fast attention .. I am caught in ER crowding and useless visits there with the compressed nerve from a disc in my back .. so husband was doing what you were doing .. WAITING ? LOL
I so wish I could take a therapeutic walk through my garden like you have yours .. it is so true that it helps SO much for us gardeners .. so imagine being laid up,pain and NOT being able to be in my garden .. yes .. I am total BONKERS ! LOL
Your garden is gorgeous girl : ) I love all the different caladium ?
and vinca and EVERYTHING you have!
I guess I have to try a mental walk? what a minute, that could mean my brain has vacated my head which would make perfect sense ? LOL
Joy
I am new to your blog. First time. I am sorry to hear about your hubby. Wish him the best. What brought me to your blog was the photo of you with your cockatoo, Lola. I also have one. His named Creem Cheez and he a Moluccan. I had him for 30 years and he was wild caught, so no clue how old he is. Bet you have stories to tell about Lola. I certainly do about Creem Cheez.
I'm glad your husband is well now, Kimberly.
Your garden is very beautiful, just to see all these lovely photos is a relaxation itself.
Hi Kimberly, I hope your husband feels better now and I wish him well.
Your garden is such a treasure with its huge variety of plants. Vincas are just the flowers I want to plant more this summer. They are so pretty and self sufficient. I am glad that the plants you thought lost bounced back. I think as long as the rootstock is not affected by the cold they usually do. It also depends on the age of the plant, younger ones are more vulnerable.
The Heliconia looks so exotic and exciting! Also love the Tillandsia
always find a new one to stick onto a branch. The stroll through your garden so interesting and seeing your love and care for your plants so invigorating. Here we are in the last month of winter. The days are getting longer and warmer. I still have a lot of work before the heat is back.
really beautiful flowers. I don't know how you are such a great gardener, I have trouble just filling up a watering can!! Don't know what's wrong with me lol.
Post a Comment