Monday, August 30, 2010

"YELLO!"

This month's HOT! LOUD! and PROUD! features
the blazing color of YELLOW!
Do you remember the movie, "Secret of My Success"
starring Michael J. Foxx? Here's the famous limousine scene...



Yes, this video is blazing hot, as is the Swiss band "Yello"  who recorded the tune in 1985 on their "Stella" album (yes, it was an album back then).  The song is more widely known for it's role in the cult hit "Ferris Beuhler's Day Off" (fantastic production filmed in my home base of Chicago starring the adorable Matthew Broderick).

Yellow is by far my favorite color in the garden. 
It brightens every corner, even the smallest.


Bulbine is best appreciated up close.


No need for binoculars to spot this proud Allamanda vine!


The butterflies spot the Tropical Milkweed from miles away!



Maui Yellow Ixora proudly exhibits it's blooms in large clusters!


Beach sunflowers (Helianthus debilis) 
are not only Hot, Loud and Proud, they're hardy as well!


The Chrysopsis stands up to the sand and salt!


This little Tickseed makes a bold statement with it's
symetrically sculptured petals!


The Lantana Gold Mound is bright, cheerful and hardy also!


This Yellow Hibiscus with it's Rosey center is the spotlight of my
HOT yellow garden!

But, selfishly, I cannot in good conscience discuss  HOT YELLOW
without including my HOT! VERY LOUD! and PROUD garden companion, LOLA! 



Notice her blazing yellow underside.  She's brilliant!

What?!  Your HOT! LOUD! and PROUD appetite isn't filled?!  You crave MORE?! 
Well, then, I suggest you hop right over to
Neol's monthly HOT! LOUD! and PROUD meme
to digest more blazing hot posts!!!
(Noel's meme is the last day of every month if you'd like to join in!)

21 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Kimberly...You've got some great HOT looking flowers. and, Lola...well, what can I say...she's a pretty HOT bird, too. Love your yello's.

Unknown said...

Hello Kimberly.
Love this post of yours..
Definitely a hot video clip and great music. Feel sorry for the poor guy driving the limousine.
Lovely yellow flower photographs too.
Have you seen the series of photographs from the island of Chios, Greece that i am currently posting..?
Its a lovely island where I was last week, took hundreds of photographs and I m posting them these days.
Have a great week.
Costas

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly, Snap! By some coincidence we are both posting on yellow but possibly aproaching it from two entirely different viewpoints. My posting forms no part of a meme and does not [you will be very surprised to learn this] include a video! That said, I loved yours - the film is quite new to me and I shall follow up on it. I have only included one plant - you include several and they are all really striking and must look superb in your hot borders. Hot stuff, Kimberly!!

Deborah A. said...

I started out with wanting mostly red and yellow in my garden, and ended up with mostly pink and purple. LOL I still have some yellow, but I used to have lots more.

Kimberly said...

Hi, Susan! I'm so happy you like my HOT yellow blooms as well as my crazy Lola!

Hi, Aaron! Thanks so much for stopping by. Yellow is my favorite garden color. Lola is my sweet cockatoo...4 years old this year. She grows smarter every day!

γειά σου, τι κάνεις, Costas! I'm glad you enjoyed the video...silly as it is! I'm looking forward to visiting your blog and checking out the photos of Chios! I've not been there.

Dear Edith, if I had realized we were both posting on yellow, I may have changed my color...but actually, it's more fun this way! I've not read yours yet, so I'm looking forward to stopping by. Your posts are NEVER boring and most always thought provoking. No, it doesn't surprise me that your post doesn't include a video or song, although I'd love to see what you might choose if it did!! :) Regarding the movie, you MUST remember that both listed are complete silliness filmed in the 80's...not refined in the least. However, they're definitely fun if you're in the mood for something light and nonsensical.

Kimberly said...

Hi, Deborah! I understand completely. I started with red/burgandy and yellow. Then I started adding pinks and purples, reasoning that they were shades of red (just a little lighter or darker). Then I started adding oranges, reasoning, as you might guess, that they are shades of yellow with red thrown in the mix. See, if you think like me, you've not deveated from your original color scheme. (I know, it's a wharped view, but it serves my purposes!!!) :)

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

marigolds which is in the middle of a Fiesta in my garden, would say Hello, Hello and Hello to all these Yello! ...~bangchik

NanaK said...

Well, Lola is certainly HOT! All your yellos are looking great. I really like that hibiscus with the red center.

Dani said...

Your Lola is gorgeous! How long have you had her?

Jayne said...

You have some wonderful yellow blooms Kimberly. And Lola is such a gorgeous gal :-)

Ami said...

Love all your yellows! That burbines are beautiful up close. I have the orange flower version in my garden. Your Lola is hot, hot hot!

One said...

Hi Kimberly, Yellow is a Happy colour. It brightens up the day! Love all your Hot Yellows including Lola.

Kimberly said...

Hello, Bangchik! Please tell your fantastic marigolds hello! I'm a huge fan of them, especially in the veggie garden where they help keep the pests away!

Hi, Kay! Although a bit on the gaudy side, the yellow hibiscus is one of my faves. I have two of these bushes. They're in a location where I have lots of foliage so the yellow blooms with red centers really pop. Great bright focus!

Hi, Dani! I'm so glad you like Lola. She's honestly such a sweetie and enjoys being outside with me. I've had her for 3-1/2 years. She's only 4 years old, so I'll have her for quite a long time (they can live up to 80/85 years).

Hey, Jayne!! So glad to hear from you! Thank you for your compliments regarding my yellows and, of course, my beloved Lola. :)

Hi, Ami! I really like the Bulbine, too. It's new to my garden (last winter). I also have an orange variety, but it's a young cutting. From my experience with the yellow, the orange should mature quickly.

Floridagirl said...

Love all your yellows! I love that color too. The reds and pinks and purples just wouldn't be the same without our splashes of yellow. The hibiscus and allamanda are my favorites. Beautiful photos! I have a lovely yellow hibiscus ('Yellow Wing'), but every time it has set buds this summer, something has eaten them away. I've never had such a stripping of buds on it before. There are now a new crop of buds appearing, so we shall see.

Gary said...

Hi Kimberley,
The plants and colours in your garden are, as ever, stunning!
I do think that Lola is the cutest on display though!
Take care.

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

I love cheerful yellows too - I've a whole 2 hedges of yellow flowers at the minute.

Fantastic photos Kimberley but Lola steals the show today with her wonderful plumage.

Noel Morata said...

aloha kimberly,

your video was a great start, loved it :)

the yellows are a striking part of the garden, i really love the hibiscus, but the real show stopper is your lovely lola....what a babe....yeaaaaaooww!

Carol said...

What a fun and hot video Kimberly... it is so hot here that it is almost hard to think of more hot! ;>)) I love all your yellows and Lola is a beauty. I also love the creative way you play with the text. Fun post!

Barbara said...

Hi Kimberly, all your photos are lovely, but I especially like the tropical milkweed. It has an almost candy-like look about it. Happy yello!

Pam/Digging said...

I love hot yellows, and yellow definitely seems to predominate in late summer and early fall. My favorite of the ones you showed is the Allamanda vine---scrumptious!

Andrea said...

Hello Kimberly, maybe this is my first time here. Yes they are all gorgeously-yellow proud! But i choose the Lantana and the Hibiscus as my favorite. That lantana, i haven't seen yet here. Beautiful.