Thursday, August 26, 2010

It Ain't Easy Being Green!

It's not easy being green...just ask Kermit! It was so difficult for him, he sang about it!


We're used to our foliage being green, or variegated, red, silver, or whatever color it's supposed to be.  But consider all the factors that change the color of foliage...temperature, light conditions, moisture levels, air pollution, shock, disease, etc.  No, it's not easy being green, my friends!

My young little mango tree experienced such a struggle recently.  It was the victim of something Terrible.  Something GROSS and DiStUrBiNg.  But first, let me take you back to a happier, greener time...days when the fledgling mango was cheerful and healthy.


January 2010 - healthy and uneffected by the record cold temps!



New GREEN growth and buds formed.



And produced fruit for the first time!



Notice the beautiful GREEN color of the leaves and branches?





My sweet, precious, innocent mango tree became the victim of



Do you see the nasty black layer?


This photo is blurry, but you can see the black residue on the leaves and branches.

I don't like dirty, black residue. 

However, I do know that this icky fungus is not typically problematic to my little tree.  Although, if permitted to cover the plant, it could disturb the photosynthesis process, weakening the plant and leaving it exposed to more aggressive assailants.  The more urgent issue is typically what causes the black sooty mold, which is primarily a sucking insect.  Sucking insects produce a sugary excrement called honeydew that the mold grows on.  That sucks!!!!  Sorry...HAD to say it!
Most honeydew producing suckers include
aphids, scale, mealybugs, whiteflies, and leafhoppers. 
So, by reasonable deduction,
to control the mold, one must control the pest.

I prepare myself for what needs to be done.


I ready my weapons...
...a gallon bucket of soap and water
applied with a soft nail brush will do the trick.

I go in for the kill!


In hind sight, I should've worn gloves.


I start scrubbing away.  Not too hard, though.


Leaf by leaf...branch by branch.
If I haven't been named the CRAZY GARDEN LADY before,
I've certainly earned the title now.
At least I wasn't wearing my usual garden decor...LOLA
(who likes to perch on my head)

My son came out to see what I was doing and
ABRUPTLY turned around without saying a word.
I'm certain he thinks I'm NUTS!!!


After much elbow grease, patience, and strange looks,
my mango is now mold and scale free!


No, it ain't easy being green!!!


32 comments:

Deborah said...

Can you say "liquid copper"? Seriously, doesn't hurt the plant and kills that fungus in a heartbeat. Organic and everything. Or Neem Oil.

Kimberly said...

Hey, Deborah! You're absolutely correct! I use liquid copper to combat rust on my cannas. I also use Neem Oil (Safer Brand has a nice product). However, the scale infestation was pretty bad when I started inspecting it, so I went the route of scrubbing. I won't let it get that far again, trust me!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly, I have laughed so much [for which I do apologise] over this fun posting. Congratulations on presenting something which I should have found, like you, very alarming and disturbing in such a relaxed and jolly way. I love the action with the soap, water and scrubbing brush - sadly no Marigolds [a brand name in the UK for rubber gloves] - and, of course, the reference to 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' [what an outstanding performance by JN and whoever played the Matron].

Dear Kimberly, this has all been so enjoyable and, incidentally, I see the Mango is restored to health!

Kimberly said...

Dear, Edith, I'm so happy you found this post humorous! I couldn't help but make a silly post about this situation - the vision I have of myself in my yard so intently scrubbing down my little tree...I've honestly completely lost it, haven't I?! LOL! Can you imagine if I'd had Lola perched on my head to boot?!

Gary said...

LOLOLOL....Brilliant post Kimberley! Loved every bit of it, and sympathise as our Camellias got the same problem...and treatment may I add. Nothing like bare hands to feel the kill eh?
The Mango looks really good again.

Anonymous said...

From where I come from, Green is the colour of hope.
Please have a good Friday.

daily athens

Helen Lewis said...

That's a funny post! I must agree with you that it is not easy being green- sometimes we have to choose to be black. :)

Steve Asbell said...

I do the same thing from time to time! My balcony doesn't get any rainfall so the dust, mealybugs, scale and spider mites start to cover my plants before I know it! I end up using insecticidal soap and paper towels or a rag and can spend a good while lovingly wiping down each leaf, one by one.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Cute post! I agree, sooty black mold sucks. We had an awful round of it when we first moved in with some California Bay Laurels. Dang things were infested with oodles of aphids, dripping honeydew all over the path, and the mold seemed to be on every square inch of those trees. Hate the stuff. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

Noelle Johnson said...

Oh Kimberly,

I am sorry about your mango tree, but I really enjoyed your creative post. I think it is hard being green and outdoors because you can never escape what nature throws your way. You did a great job 'cleaning' up your mango. I hope it does well.

Liza said...

Impressive care, Kimberly. What a lucky tree.

Unknown said...

Its a hard life.
Great photographs and narrative Kimberly.'
Have a great day.
Costas

One said...

Oh this is humorous! I have not heard of anyone scrubbing a tree before. But it must have worked.

NanaK said...

I'm so glad you were able to help restore your little mango to health. So nice that you got some fruit this year. I have a gardenia tree I've been washing most of the summer. It is really small so it's pretty easy to deal with this way. Does Neem work for the aphids and such? I have only used soapy water so far, but spraying would be way easier for some of the other larger plants.

Kimberly said...

Gary, I'm so sorry for your sweet camellias. This black mold stuff is too ugly for such a pretty speciman. I'm glad to see I'm in good company when it comes to insanely washing our plants!

Robert, I'm so glad you stopped by! Interesting that Green is the color of hope in Greece...I like it! After all, green is one of my favorite colors.

Hi, Helen! You're absolutely correct! Sometimes the alternative is the better solution...not in this case, though. :)

RG, if anyone else washes down their plants leaf by leaf, I knew it would be you! Your plants truly are near and dear to your heart. I understand the patio issue, though. I had a patio hibiscus when I first moved to FL and rented an apt while choosing a suitable homestead. It did not receive rainfall so the mealybugs really took over, overnight seemingly! So gross!

Floridagirl said...

ROTFL! What a sight that must have been for your son! I can envision him turning, shaking his head, and rolling his eyes. I get that reaction from my daughter a lot. As for sooty mold, been there, done that. Yes, I too took a brush to my camellias back in Atlanta.

Kimberly said...

Clare, I agree with your sentiment. The black layer of sooty fungus just give me the creeps!

Hi, Noelle! I often feel for the outdoor flora and fauna awaiting the elements. My mango is much happier now, though! I'll have to keep a close eye on it from now on!

Liza, thank you! I'm fortunate my tree is just a youngster...I won't have this "luxury" when it matures, that's for sure!

Hi, Costas! Thank you so much for your wonderful compliment! I'm always happy to hear from you!
έχουν μια μεγάλη μέρα!

Kimberly said...

Hi, One! You're correct, my dear. MOST NORMAL people do not scrub their trees, especially leaf by leaf. But, it had to be done. And many of us gardeners will readily admit to being a little off kilter.

Aaron, another crazy nut to reassure me that I'm at least in good company! So glad to have you in the group! :)

Kay, I'm sorry to hear you've been battling all summer! That's a bummer. In my experience, yes, Neem Oil works well with aphids, as long as it's not a huge infestation. Obviously, regular application is the key. Safer Brand has a really nice product. I found out about them when I won a contest on Facebook and received a free bottle. If you're on FB, check out Safer Brand and become a Fan. They run a little contest on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Kimberly said...

FG, those pre/teenagers are usually horrified by our embarrassing behavior, aren't they?! LOL!!! You're in company with Gary, washing your camellias. I had not idea so many gardeners wash their plants...see, maybe we're not so weird afterall!!

Kyna said...

Totally won me over with the AC/DC :D *sigh*

Gardeners really suffer for their art, don't they? I think that every year when I'm on my hands and knees, busy picking off leaves with blackspot from my rosebush...

Glad you were victorious :D

Susan said...

LOL...all I can say is I'm glad your tree is small. That would have been quite an undertaking. I'm sure your tree is thankful that you eliminated those pesky little pests. It definitely looks better green than black.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

haha... giving affected stems a scrub is a normal and decent thing to do. But of course we have cope with weird looks..... ~bangchik

Amy said...

Funny post! Way to go getting rid of that black awful stuff. I have some black fungi on my purple coneflowers. :/

Town Mouse said...

Yes, I know where you're coming from, and your son is just ignorant. We all appreciate that you did not just rush out with some nasty pesticide but went to work with soap and water. Congratulations! (and what a fun post)

Carol said...

Kimberly, You have a great sense of humor. I do not think you a crazed gardener at all ... very sensible and a good thing your tree is so small. You must have been so excited to see your new fruit. Ah! to be able to grow mangos! I imagine too that it was hard to see the mold developing. Great job at being rid of it and remaining green. Did the mold affect your fruit?

Shyrlene said...

Kimberly - 'killer' post (ar ar ar!)! It's too bad your family didn't capture the Kodak moment while you were scrubbing the tree - we all would have loved the photo addition to your post!

Touche' to you, for being so diligent to take care of your plant - not everyone would have made the time investment (or enjoyed the reward of a healthy plant)!

hazeltree said...

very humourous! yes you are completely nuts but the good news is that you are surrounded by fellow gardening nutters who also go around washing trees...

Carolyn ♥ said...

I've shared a similar experience washing each leaf from a dear plant... what we won't do for something we love! Glad your tale ended well and were the mangoes yummy?

Shyrlene said...

P.S. Just wanted to drop by again quickly and let you know I put your blog link in my latest post. I was assessing my 'garden journey' and life in the Blogosphere - I included blogs that inspired me! :) --Shyrlene

Meems said...

Hi Kimberly,
Sorry your mango gave you such a hard time this summer Very funny way to make light of so much bother with the scrub brush. That sooty mold can be so ugly. Saving those mangoes had to be worth it. They are a favorite fruit~~ wish it was warm enough here for a tree.

On a side note: I've noticed in a comment (somewhere) you don't have any blackberry lilies. I would be happy to send you some seeds from mine. E-mail me if you'd like some. hoe and shovel garden at gmail dot com.
Meems

debsgarden said...

I'm glad your mango wasn't ten feet tall! You did a great job, and this shows we don't have to use harsh chemicals to get good results. Thanks for a fun, informative post.

Chloe m said...

I think my kids have given me some of those looks when I do crazy stuff in my garden like cover my plants at night like I am tucking them into bed.
I hope this Mango gets back to normal with all that TLC!