Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Un-Gardeners

I have shared some of my favorite gardening blogs in the past, and continue to add to the list! It's amazing how many interesting gardeners and gardens populate the blogoshere!  However, I have some favorite NON-gardening blogs that are high on my blog list so I thought I'd share them with you. 

First on my list is my long-time friend, Sandy Nawrot, and her blog, "You've GOTTA read this!".  Sandy and I met in college and were actually roommates for a semester.  After going our separate ways and losing contact, we reconnected on Facebook.  What's more, even though we're both from rural Indiana, we currently live in Florida!  What a small world!!  I'm bummed that Sandy and I didn't stay in contact for so many years as I've rediscovered what a truly interesting person she is.  Sandy travels to some fantastic destinations and documents her travels through her camera lens and her blog.  As you probably already figured out by the blog title, Sandy's blog is primarily about books and reading.  She reads more than anyone I know and is very involved in literacy organizations and advocacy.  She reviews countless books, authors, and movies.  Sandy also seasons her menu with a little bit of cooking and wine every once in a while.  I could go on and on, but it's best if you head over because really, You've GOTTA read this!

Another interesting blog is Nature Digital authored by Costas Tzagarakis.  I connected with Costas when he discovered my blog and made a comment.  As my husband is Greek and we've visited Greece and the relatives many times, I was instantly interested in Costas.  His blog, Nature Digital is about just that...nature as seen through the digital lens of Costas' camera.  His delightfully interesting photos are described in both English and Greek. If you'd like a taste of authentic Greek heritage and scenery, head over to visit Costas at Nature Digital!


Shore Debris Handmade Creations doesn't require an explanation...it's just that...jewelry and such handmade using shore debris.  The artist, Vicky, is wonderfully talented and creates some of the most unique pieces.  She has an Etsy Shop where you can purchase her masterpieces at very reasonable prices.  Remember, her pieces are one of a kind and all natural from the beach!!  What's stopping you?!  Go on....check it out!


And last, but definitely not least, is a blog that I just recently happened upon...The Featured Creature by Carly Brooke, a 20 year old UCLA student.  Carly's profile explains that she's sick and tired of seeing the same animals over and over, especially when there's a whole slew of creatures that are widely unheard of!  Carly's creatures are not necessarily gross...they're just unusual.  A recent post featured animals that need a nose job!  It was GREAT!!!!  Another post highlighted a dragon-like fish that is so tiny it fits in the palm of your hand.  I never knew!!!!  But now, thanks to Carly, I do.  If you like nature, or the strange and unusual, you can't miss Carly's Featured Creature!!

Well, there's my line up of Un-Gardening blogs.  There are so many out there, but these are my faves.  I hope you'll check them all out and let them know you stopped by.  What are your favorite Un-Gardening blogs?

7 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

Kim! You are so kind to bring up my little book blog! And how appropriate I'm holding a glass of wine. These other blogs look fantastic...I am headed off to check them out!

Carly said...

thank you so much for featuring my site! I'm really glad you enjoy it as much as I enjoy yours!! :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly, What a really good idea this is of yours to feature 'ungardening' weblogs. I think that there is so much of interest in the Blogosphere but it is often tricky to track it all down. The weblogs you feature here look fascinating.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much Kimberly. I m glad you like my blog and I just hope my future posts will be up to your expectations.
Enjoy your summer. (Whats left of it anyway).
Costas

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

Hey Kimberley I read over at Nature Digital aswell. So true there are some great non garden blogs out there - most of my non garden blogs are photography related.

Susan said...

Hi Kimberly...Thanks for introducing us to some other types of blogs. I look forward to checking our "you gotta read this." By the way, I'm just finishing up Eat, Pray, Love and I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing the movie. Thanks for mentioning it on my blog comment.

Shore Debris said...

Hi Kimberly! Thank you so much for the nice comments about my Shore Debris :) You make me think I should feature some non-jewelry blogs since that is what I tend to read and feature most.