Sunday, March 7, 2010

Port Saint Lucie Botanical Garden GRAND OPENING!

I had the privilege of  being part of the grand opening of the Port St. Lucie Botanical Gardens this weekend. Being the first time a public space is placed in the hands of the community, this is a real honor and treat for the town of Port St. Lucie! 





Ceremonies began with the Color Guard, Pledge of Allegiance, and Raising of the Flag!


Followed by the "Vine Cutting"



And the Mayor presenting the keys of the new building to the President of the Friends of the Botanic Garden!



Festivities followed including an essential tour of the new gardens that replaced a failed condo site.  The original native Florida landscape was kept in tact throughout the garden, which is a nice breath of fresh air!
An entry garden...


Oaks and Saw Palmetto are the foundation for the gardens.


Some blooms have been added although most "rooms" are still empty, ready for various gardening groups to take over their specified space.












The St. Lucie River borders the back side of the gardens.





Entertainment was provided including food and a band!



The new building offers a gift shop full of fun garden "stuff" such as these pot hangers...a favorite of my daughter!


My friend, Maricela, demonstrates one of our purchases...a balancing firefly!  FUN!


Of course there was a plant sale, which I couldn't pass up!


The giant Kalanchoe has tempted me many times...I couldn't resist AGAIN!



And I had to purchase this pretty little Bolivian Sunset, surprisingly a shade lover!  Beautiful vibrant blooms!






Since this garden is close to home, I'm sure you'll be seeing more of it as it unfolds!!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly, What a wonderful experience and one which, I am sure, you will remember for many years to come. The new Botanical Garden looks very appealing indeed, made more so even by bordering the river. Such a lovely backdrop.

This seems to me to be an excellent use of a former building site. I am sure that the people of the town will appreciate it and make good use of it.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Some plants and flowers are unique ... definitely a must among keen gardeners. ~bangchik

Floridagirl said...

How very lucky to have a new garden go in near your home! That kind of garden is my favorite...mostly wild and natural, with garden spaces planted here and there. I'm afraid I would be there everyday if I had such a place close by. Love the brom photos! I have some of those very broms in my own garden!

Jayne said...

The new botanical gardens look wonderful. My husband and I visited Port St. Lucie a couple of years ago - I have an aunt and uncle that live there. I love the natural beauty that can be found there.

NanaK said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Are you part of a group who will garden there? Love the big kalanchoe.

Rusty in Miami said...

Places like that make our communities great places to live, congratulations you must be very proud of your town.

Noel Morata said...

looks like theres alot of good bones already in so the various rooms just have to be set up...are you going to be participating with any of the gardening groups there? i love those large kalanchoe, i have a few that are getting over a foot tall in height and girth...love em!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that a failed condo should become a community garden! There is a level of sophistication - financial, organisational and civic - which I fear we will never see in Africa. On the other hand, Africa often finds wonderfully simple solutions not possible in first world situations, and in many cultures the community and communal ownership is more important than the individual!

Anonymous said...

Ooooo-i love that bolivean Sunset plant!It's gorgeous!

Liza said...

Great post Kimberly! I have never seen a giant Kalanchoe! I didn't even know they existed before you posted about them!

Kimberly said...

Thank you for your kind words and well wishes. Yes, I'll be gardening here, so more posts are forthcoming! :) How could I stay away?!

Noelle Johnson said...

How exciting to be a part of history. Imagine revisiting this garden in 30 years with your grandchildren and say, "I was here the day it opened".

Steve Asbell said...

I can't wait to check it out! I'm still super excited about the kanapaha plant sale on the 20th... Thanks for the lovely photos.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What a neat place. It's great they turned the failed condo site into something as nice as a Botanical garden. I hope you'll share pictures of the rooms as they are planted. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberly, this is such a pleasure to see, we have been to Port St. Lucie, staying with friends who used to have a home there. The new garden is such a great idea, love they used the natives too. Your purchases are wonderful, love that kalanchoe with the large leaves, who could resist its charms? :-)
Frances

RBell said...

Enjoyed your Bolivian Sunset discovery - you had me at "shade lover"! Gonna add that to my wish list...

islandgal246 said...

What a novel idea! I have just found your blog on blotanical and it is a neat blog. Whenever I am in Florida I will definitely pay a visit to this garden.

Lesley Smitheringale said...

What a fantastic concept and place. Good luck with your gardening there. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I'm glad you enjoyed the post on Garden Birds. Your cockatoo is cute. Kind Regards, Lesley