After a full week of freezing temperatures, the sun is out, slowly warming the air and the ground. There's plenty of damage, although I think most everything will bounce back, eventually. The worst part is that we all have cabin fever, and I won't be able to touch the garden for another week while I wait "patiently" to see what is damaged and what is simply hiding from Jack Frost. Additionally, I'm a firm believer in not cutting back damage until I KNOW we're out of frost risk...this might be awhile, since it's only January. Here's a sampling of my garden on this sunny, warmer afternoon...
We'll start with the bad news...ice in the bird bath! The birds were understandably MAD! The kids thought it was great fun!
The bananas were devestated! Not sure about a couple of the "medium sized" pups, but the little ones look like they'll be fine.
This photo of the new front patio garden isn't promising. The bright, cheery Petra Croton is anything but cheerful, the oyster plants look like a wilted salad, the Heliconia is dried and shriveling, and the vincas are definitely toast!
Only the top of the Presidential Hibiscus is damaged. The little blooms look ready to open and show their pretty red faces!
I have 2 young Bottle Neck Palms that show plenty of frost bits (note the yellow/brown, dry leaves) but will probably be fine
The brown turkey fig is damaged but still shows signs of life...it was covered...it'll be fine!
Now to the better news...some plants seem less than fazed by the week-long freeze...
The Giant Bird of Paradise in the front and the two transplants in the back seem to be fine!
The Muscadine Grapes don't look fazed at all!
The Ponderosa Lemon and Meyer Lemons are still blooming with new growth to boot!
The Queen Emma Crinums looks fine...
The young Mango tree look undisturbed!
The Kalenchoe, Ground Orchids (that had cover), and Gilliardia greet the sunny day with a smile!
The Carolina Jasmine is cold hardy and shows off it's golden blooms.
And one of the Agave plant continues to bloom, no matter what!
Of course, while the temperatures were freezing outside, we huddled inside and made a gingerbread tree. Sophia and her friend, Daniella, had a fun time!
6 comments:
Our bird bath was frozen solid! By the way, what kinds of bananas are those?
Oh,things are looking very sad and I wonder if your lovely remaining flowers made it through the weekend. My gallardia were still looking good, too. They are tough little plants with great flowers.
RFG, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I don't know the banana names that I own...two different varieties, but I have no idea what they are. Maybe you do?! Check out the link to my other blog on Digthedirt.com ...I showcased my bananas once. http://www.digthedirt.com/contributions/55-Bananas
Susan, these photos were taken yesterday, 1/10/10, so most of the damage is done, I think, although it hit freezing temps again last night. We'll be warm by the end of the week...PLEASE HURRY!! The gallardia actually grew in Chicago as a perennial...so it'll be OK!
Sorry about your bananas! And I hope your bottle palm makes it. (I lost mine last winter.) Your croton and oyster plants look like mine. So sad, isn't it? You still have a lot of happy blooms, though.
Looks as if most of your plants came through the cold just fine. We'll not know the extent of the damage here until things that are borderline hardy here, like porterweed, either put out new growth when summer comes, or they don't. Most things do.
I see you're new to Blotanical. I urge you to read the FAQs under the Help tab. You'll find them helpful in learning to navigate what seems at first like a difficult site.
Glad to see warmer weather. Winter stayed too long. I like when it lasts one or two days at a time.
Beautiful flowers and garden. Wished I lived in sunny Florida!
Post a Comment