Monday, January 25, 2010

New Poolside Garden Phase I


When I relocated to South Florida 5 years ago, my landscape goal was to create a tropical paradise...something my native midwestern family had never been able to enjoy unless on vacation!  In doing so, I've created a mowing nightmare in my backyard.  Thus, toward the end of last year, I decided to begin filling in more of my dwindling backyard so the difficult areas to mow could maintain themselves.  During the cold snap, I identified a perfect place to create a tropical garden space...along a narrow strip of grass between the pool deck and the privacy fence.  After a VERY successful visit to the local retail garden shop, I couldn't wait to get started!

At this point, I really must pause to give some credit where credit is due.  I don't usually prefer to promote the large retail garden centers over the local nursery, BUT, this weekend's clearance rack at Lowes made it possible for me to begin my poolside garden.  I happened to be in the right place at the right time!!




I used some of the plants to fill in where the cold had left some empty spots in my front landscape.  But the rest was used to begin Phase I of the poolside garden!!  Here's the space BEFORE with only two Queen Emma Crinum lilies.

 

The plan is to clear the entire fence row, but I only had time / plants for a portion of the space (Phase 1!). Here's Phase 1 cleared of grass (and weeds!) with plants laid out (note the poor Queen Emmas have been drastically cut back from the cold...but they'll be fine).



I divided pots of plants, creating two and three individuals out of the one...making the most of my money!  These plants will spread by the end of summer, filling in the space very nicely!





After a long day's work and a sore back, Phase I is complete!



But there's still more to do!  The strip will be cleared all the way to the house.  While the Cannas and Crinums are the focus next to the pool, I'll plant a Ponytail Palm, Firecracker Plant (maybe) and some dwarf Mondo Grass in the Phase II space.



So what specifically is planted in this little space?  First, of course my favorite, the Queen Emma Crinum Lilies.


The complimentary flowers consist of cannas...two kinds were divided from my front yard...  the dwarf peach canna...


and the Tropicanna Phaison with it's gorgeous foliage and bright orange blooms. 



The new addition is the stunning Tropicanna Gold!  (I had to add some of this out front too...I couldn't resist)



The ground cover consists of Liriope,



Ferns



Sedum



and Dianthus for some temporary color!



Stay tuned for Phase II.  For now, I have the job of keeping the dogs out of the newly planted space and providing my back with some Advil!!

4 comments:

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

The amount of work to create your tropical paradise is worth it I guess... Good Luck! ~bangchik

Steve Asbell said...

Great work! Its so rewarding to see everything fill in over time, and you picked some great plants. That queen emma crinum is a great choice and the liriope will make a dependable backdrop for that riot of color!

Sandy Nawrot said...

Can you come up my way now and do mine? I have a black thumb and no creativity!

Lauren Drury said...

Looks beautiful! I love the look of a freshly planted garden, especially at a bargain price!