Thursday, January 14, 2010

Keeping Myself Busy

While I wait for my garden to recover from the freezing temperatures, (because I’m believing my garden WILL recover), I’ve busied myself with other “projects”.

First, since it’s the beginning of the new year and I want to stay in shape, I’ve signed up for the 100 Mile Challenge Two, 100 miles in 90 days. I’ve accumulated 22 miles at the time of this writing. Anyone interested in finding out more or joining the Challenge, go to http://www.100milefitness.blogspot.com/ .

Second, being new to the blogging world, I’ve recently found out about “Blotanical”, an online resource for fellow gardeners! Through Blotanical, I’ve connected with so many different gardeners from all over the world! I’ve been able to find other gardeners specifically in my area and in my zone by using the nifty map feature. I can also learn about new blogs by checking out the “most Popluar” and “Favourite” sections. There are numerous other features such as blogger awards. What fun! To find out more about Blotanical, go to http://www.blotanical.com/ .


Another gardening resource where I blog, meet fellow gardeners, and get ideas is Dig the Dirt, an online gardening and plant resource. One of the goals of this site is to build the largest online plant resource available, using member submissions. It’s great fun and everyone is really nice! To find out more about Dig the Dirt, go to http://www.digthedirt.com/ .


I’ve also embarked upon my own personal challenge this year that I’ve included in a recent post. I plan to taste as many Florida wines as possible in one year, and still stay sober, of course! With my recent Muscadine Grape planting and research, I realized I’d never tried even one Florida wine. What a crime! I will log each tasting and report my findings.

Finally, I’m doing something very out of character…I’ve been PLANNING a new garden space (remove a strip of grass from between the pool deck and privacy fence, highlighting the Queen Emmas). I typically don’t plan my spaces. In fact, I usually decide where to plant after I bring a particular specimen home. However, the winter temperatures have hindered any gardening attempts, so I’ve had time to ponder the space.  I asked for opinions on DigtheDirt.com. Check out http://www.digthedirt.com/contributions/971-HELP-Planning-a-Space and let me know your thoughts.

Thankfully, today was the first nice warm day in over a week, with no freezing overnight temps!  I hope to get back into the garden this weekend, assess the damage, and God willing, see new life begin to take over!

6 comments:

D said...

Welcome to the blogging world and to blotanical. I will have to checkout your other recommendation and look forward to your wine tastings. ;) Diana

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Kimberly and welcome to Blotanical! I like your "projects". Stay warm and sober!

Flowers said...

Excellent article. It was helpful and informative. hope to see more greats posts like this.

Sandy Nawrot said...

Kim!!! I saw "Garden in Paradise" comment on the 100 Mile Fitness Challenge and wondered if it was you! Congrats and welcome to blogland! Beware, you will become addicted! I shall become a follower (despite my black thumb)!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberly, I wondered what is the "creature" in your post above. On your planning a new garden space. Is it a toad? for serious, I can't tell. Welcome to Blotanical - Gloria

Kimberly said...

Hi, Sandy! Yes, I've entered blogland, and yes, it's addicting! I love it! As you can tell, my passion is gardening! Thanks for turning me on to this venue and for joining me!

Gloria, yes, it's a little frog. They're everywhere! I love them as their diet includes the pesky bugs and mosquitoes. I like taking pics of all the creepy crawlies...the good, the bad and the ugly!