Sunday, January 3, 2010

Reflecting on 2009 and 2010 Goals

2009 was a productive gardening year.  Sometime last spring, I challenged myself to transform my little corner of tropical paradise even further.  I wanted more tropical plants, more spaces to sit back and relax, and less lawn / maintanence.  This is an ongoing goal for my suburban corner lot. 




A couple of new spaces:
  • The new front patio space, which still isn't finished.  I created the garden beds and planted numerous varieties of plants that will eventually create a semi-private screen for the flat-stone patio space (still missing the flatstone and dwarf mondo grass).


  • The Grapevine Getaway, as I call it, was recently created in an empty space in the rear corner between the shed and privacy fence.  We've tried several different ideas in this space but none have worked since this area gets very hot and still.  So, we decided it would be the ideal space for the new Muscadine Grapes that I'd purchased.  My husband's aunt in Greece has a fantastic patio covered by lush grape vines and clusters of delicious grapes that hang down for anyone to pick while relaxing with a glass of wine and a piece of cheese or a nice cup of Greek coffee!  This was my inspiration for my small corner.  The vines could grow up a trellis along the back side of the ugly stained shed then travel across a support we will build from the shed roof to the privacy fence, creating a lovely cover for the small patio underneath. 

New additions:
Some of the new plant varieties include a small firebush I purchased from the school garage sale for $2 (woo hoo!!), dwarf Powderpuff, elephant ear to screen the pool equipment, a few day lilies - Yangze, Butterscotch, Strawberry Candy (I hope they flower in 2010!), ferns alongside the shed, Muscadine grapes, Shamrock Charmed Wine, Yellow Alamanda, Mexican Petunia, Caladium, Ponytail Palm, Papyrus grass, Heliconias, Hibiscus (El Capitolia, Ft. Meyers, and a red w/ yellow stripes - name unknown), Pothos, Petra Croton, several cuttings of various Plumeria / Frangipani, Pink Mandavilla, and Vincas.













2010 Goals:
In 2010, I'd like to continue with my garden projects that are still incomplete as I'm waiting for the plants to mature. 
  • Front Patio Space - I'll clear the grass, lay some sort of flat stone, and dwarf mondo grass (so I won't need to mow this area) to complete the area
  • Grape Vine Patio - Once the grapevines mature a bit, we'll build a larger trellis to cover more of the shed and an overhead support from the shed roof to the privacy fence for the overhang cover.
  • Add river rock throughout the various beds...started with the back yard beds and will make our way to the front and replace the mulch.
  • Plant more bromelaids - perhaps even create a bromelaid garden.
  • Add strawberries and papaya to our collection of fruit baring plants and trees!
I'm sure there's more to come, as I seldom plan my gardening projects.  I'm looking forward to a productive, beautiful, and fun-filled New Year!







3 comments:

Floridagirl said...

Hey, Kimberly, I'm attempting to blog on here now too. Baby steps... Not quite as fancy as your page yet. Check it out at www.gardeninpeace.blogspot.com. Just noticed the URL sounds similar to yours. Not intentional--my blog title "Peace in the Valley" was already taken in the URL and that just popped into my head. -DLJ

Kimberly said...

Floridagirl, I'm so excited that you're blogging too! What fun, huh?! I think your blog looks great! I love the color...and your content is fantasic, as usual! I'm still having a few issues, but I'll iron them out, eventually...baby steps!

Susan said...

Hi Kimberly...Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm always glad to discover another Florida gardener, and it looks like you're settling in quite well to your newly adopted state. I hope the cold temps forecasted for this week won't damage your garden too much. I'm keeping my fingers (and legs, too) crossed! Good luck with your plans for 2010...they sound great, especially that grape vine over the patio.