I spent the day at the Heathcote Botanical Gardens in Fort Pierce, FL for their
Bloomin' Plant and Art sale,
and the Oxbow Eco Center
10th annual Earth Day Living Green Festival.
What fun my two children and I had! While Dad was fishing (fun, too), we enjoyed the day at these two festivals, with all they had to offer, which was a lot!!
First on the list is the "cool tools" showcased throughout the Heathcote Botanical Gardens. Tools are recrafted into whimsical creatures and displayed throughout the garden grounds. So fun!
This is my favorite and I may need to attempt to copy this fine specimen!
Although not a traditional tool, the children's membership crafted this "pot man"...
My children enjoyed making his acquantance.
I DID mention that this event featured a plant sale, right? I had to heal my sadness from my recent bottle palm loss by purchasing a new, larger version for only $15...yes, that's right! BARGAIN!
More bargains...a foxtail seedling for $1...
Loquat for $.50...
and Papaya for $1.00...
Giddy Up!! Now, for another COOL find...this awesome Tillandsia Ionantha Peach variety that literally grows in a ball shape. I purchased a small size for $10...larger ones were $20.
My friend, Marisela, who is from Venezuela, thought I was NUTS. Apparently, this little prize is everywhere, like a weed, in her country and is played with like a soccer ball by the children. I could only envision them kicking around my $10!! : ) How different things are in various parts of the world, right?!?!
I also purchased 3 Amaryllis bulbs for $1...did I mention how giddy and silly I get with a bargain?!?!?!
On to the Oxbow 10th annual Living Green Festival to celebrate Earth Day. This event was a lot of fun!! While my kids enjoyed the games and events, I got caught up in the animal exhibits. Native and exotic reptile species were showcased as were wild birds such as the Great Horned Owl...
(all animals are residents of the Treasure Coast Wildlife Center...all animals have been injured in the wild and can no longer fly properly)
Peregrine Falcon...
Bald Eagle with a broken wing
Burrowing Owl...
and shy Barn Owl.
The theme was really about decreasing our footprint on our great green earth...
I don't want to disappoint by keeping the gardens all to myself so I'll leave you with a few of the fantastic gardens on display at the Heathcote Botanical Garden..
This gorgeous, peaceful Japanese garden was one of our favorites!
This GIGANTIC Hibiscus adorns the middle of the garden grounds.
The orchid room was exotic and tropical!
My son took a moment to ponder in the reflection garden.
A great time was had by all!!




28 comments:
wow, Kimberly, that sounded a big fun day! Those tools are very cool :) And I love all the bargains you got, beuatiful plants, and I love bargains too!
Ha ha, nice post, I like the Pot Man
Hi Kimberly. What fun tools. I love it when people come up with these cute redo pieces. These are fun.
Hey you got some good bargains to girl. That always makes for a fun day out. LOL! What a fun day and fun for the children to with the great birds. Thanks for sharing your day.
Lona
A good post.. bringing the whole family to have fun and take part in the cool tools and Earth Day Celebration. Plants are really at a good bargain. ~bangchik
Kimberley, glad you got such great bargains, I am sure you will have fun finding places for them. Thanks for sharing those lovely photos - the very first one with that winding path led me right in....
Wow!You found some bargains!And sounds like your whole family had a great day.Being married to a fisherman,I can relate to sending them off fishing for the day,while I go garden hopping.
Wow, you really got some bargains, Kimberly! Looks like you had a great weekend too. I would have loved to see all those birds up close - awesome. I had to giggle and the "flowerpot man". When I was growing up in England, one of my favorite Saturday morning tv shows was "Bill and Ben, the Flower Pot Men."
Dear Kimberly, Your enthusiasm for everything, including life itself, which is captured throughout this fascinating and very different posting, is infectious, makng me want to go out at once in search of new plants, particularly at bargain prices! You clearly all had a really enjoyable time and I am so pleased for you. As Jayne says in her comment, I too remember 'The Flower Pot Men'!
I do hope after all this fun your husband came home with a good catch!!
You certainly had a great day. Those plants were really "on sale." I love seeing the cool tools. I have been saving a broken shovel w/ the idea of making some sort of yardart from it. Of course, it still looks like a broken shovel right now, but with all the inspiration you've provided in this post it may just be transformed soon.
What a fun day and you got some really nice bargains. I don't blame you for being excited. It is funny how things are viewed differently in different parts of the world-even in different parts of our country. Way to keep that $10 in perspective thinking of boys kicking it around. The kids look like they had a great time. What fun! -W-a-y better than fishing;)
This was a fun day and you ended up with many new flowers and lots of amazing photos.
I couldn't find your Macro Monday post but it doesn't matter, you have so many beautiful photos and joyful words in every post.
To your question; I didn't participate lately on Macro Monday because it is the middle of the night by us when it starts and the next morning I don't always have time for blogging.
Have a nice week!
Kimberly I can feel the excitement as I read through your post. What a day you had with the kids! and I just love the whimsical themes throughout the first part of your post. I am just drooling over your tillandsia - its just fabulous - what a talking piece that is going to be in your garden. I've never seen the likes of it in all my life - its hard to believe that its used as a football elsewhere isn't it.
Hi Kimberly, first of all I congratulate you on taking your children with you. My garden visits are very much definitely solo! The gardens look beautiful and of course, anything we can do to help mother earth is a good thing. Thanks for sharing. Michaela
What a great place to visit! I only wished I lived closer ;-)
The curved path really draws your eye onwards and I just love the garden art.
The gardens were beautiful, and it looks like the festivals were lots of fun, even for the kids. I like that flying critter with the rake wings, too! I am going to take another look at some of my worn our tools. Something like that would be a fun addition to my garden.
Kimberly,
Thanks for sharing the pictures of the garden festival.I really like the owl pictures.Also learned something the foxtail plant that you bought I have been pulling up out of my garden thinking they were weeds.
What fun I love everything !!! especially the COOL Tool Collection .. looks like my kinda place thanks for sharing.
hugs from Savannah, Cherry
What a wonderful celebration you've had with your family! And I think it's so awesome that family time included a plant sale with bargains. I can hardly ever drag F. to a plant sale. ;)
The plant used in Venezuela is a beauty, and just illustrates, I suppose, how familiarity breeds contempt. That hibiscus blossom is breathtaking!
How fun! I've never seen so many things made with spring rakes, but I love them! The flower-pot man is quite handsome too, especially in that hat!
I wanted to take a minute and thank you for your kind comments on my Bloom Day post. I need to shop where you do, you got some great bargains. 50 cents for a loquat, what a steal!
Hi Kimberly...what great bargains you found. Plant sales are so much fun, and visiting a beautiful garden is an added benefit. Looks like you and your kids had a great day.
It is now my life's ambition to acquire some green nail polish, then I can have a green thumb too. At least something will be green, rather than all the brown and white we have outside now. Love finding bargains at plant sales, how clever of you to send your husband fishing while you shopped, er, toured the garden.
Christine in Alaska
I guess we were both at Botanical gardens on Sunday :)
I enjoyed seeing everything. The cool tools were a lot of fun.
Great plant deals! That always makes it even more fun.
aloha kimberly,
wow, you did get some bargains especially the bottle palm...tillandias are free for the taking here also :( i love those tools, i'm inspired to do some also, i do like the flying rake bug too!
thanks for sharing the garden also, i do like the japanese/tropicalesque garden
Love those cool tools! Recycling is a passion of mine and I love to see artwork made with recycled things. These are wonderful and so much fun! As for your bargoons, wow, 3 amaryllis for $1! You were smart to take advantage of these prices.
Hello, Kimberly
I like very much, the visit in the Botanical Gardens.
Have a nice day.
Thank you for the wonderful tour! God do I love bargains! We do it all the time here. LOL! That pot man was really cool! My Amaryllis has sent out lots of buds and am excited to see them in bloom!
Oh, those poor birds. How lovely they look! I am a bird person too! Hi-Five!
Looks amazing!!!! /I look forward to your feedback /thanks for this man it was very helpful.
garden tools
Post a Comment