Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day April 2010

It's time again for May Dreams Gardens Garden Bloggers Bloom Day!  Lola and I are excited because more and more gardens should be coming to life!  Our garden is no exception, although we won't show all of our blooms as many of them are repeats. 




So let's get on with it...!

The various Crinum lilies are in bloom throughout my yard.  They look similar, although there are small differences in the blooms.  This Queen Emma has deep burgandy / plum foliage but produces this bloom:



This crinum has green foliage and produces my favorite "milk and wine" bloom:


This crinum (spider lily) looks the same as the latter with green foliage but produces a pure white bloom:



I have pups from another burgandy variety that produces a bloom with a slightly different color combination, although I won't be showing these for quite some time.

Many of my canna lilies are blooming throughout the yard.  Lola is excited to show them off.  I divided many of them during the winter and planted them all over so we could enjoy cannas in every section of my garden.  Lola especially likes this dwarf peach canna in the front entry garden.









Although they don't have to bloom to appreciate
their colors and patterns.


The new passion flower is providing a couple blooms and they're more consistant now.



The Bolivian Sunset that I purchased at the new Botanical Gardens plant sale is
a gorgeous continuous bloomer for me.


I've showcased the Yellow Carolina Jasmine previously. 
It's almost done blooming for the season.


I planted this red Salvia this spring as a filler. 



I don't know if it remains all year or will be a seasonal filler.  (I planted Vinca last year assuming a seasonal filler only to enjoy a year-round bloomer that I'll have to cut back to keep in check)



It's probably not a surprise to anyone who visits my blog regularly that I like yellow. 
This gold sedum fits in perfectly.


Nor should it be a surprise that I like purple (all shades of it).  I recently added some cuttings of the
Purple Queen ground cover.



Lola reminded me to talk about the Hibiscus that are blooming well now, too,
although a few bushes are still recuperating. 



Fort Meyer:


Presidential:


El Capitolio


The new red and yellow Lantana is beginning to bloom.


Wait...this isn't a flower!!


I think he's trying to take over Lola's job....


Lola is NOT amused!!!



Before we were rudely interupted....

The Dwarf Powder Puff has come to life this month.



The pretty, soft Mexican Heather makes me think of my Grandmother.


I've never notice Arbovitae evergreens blooming before. Isn't it sweet?



I can't leave out the beautiful bougainvillea as it is in full crazy bloom right now!



Check out our little mango tree. Looks like we'll have mango fruit this year!!! 
Woo Hoo! Lola and I LOVE mango!


The aloe bloom hasn't opened yet but this is where it's at so far...first time it's sent up a bloom!!  YAY!



What else is blooming but not featured in photos?
Vinca - pink and ruby
Penta - red and purple
Lantana - Gold Mound
Kalanchoes - red
Ruella / Purple Showers / Mexican Petunia
Honeysuckle vine
Citrus - Ponderosa Lemon, Meyer Lemon and Navel Orange
Indian Blanket Flower - Red, orange and yellow
Jasmine - Star and Orange varieties
Charmed Wine Shamrock Oxalis
Snap Dragon - Pink
Nemesia - purple
Gazania - yellow and orange
Purple Fountain Grass
Plumeria / Frangipani are sending out little leaflets...blooms to come this summer, I hope!
Ixora - Yellow Maui variety
Crotons are also showing buds - Penta and Mamey


Wow!  What a GREAT Bloggers Bloom Day!!! 
Enjoy everyone!!!!

25 comments:

Jayne said...

Wow - I'm in total awe of the blooms in your garden! Maybe in a few years, my own fledgling garden will have grown up to the point where it can offer almost constant blooms as well. Your photos are wonderful. And Lola beats the peacock, hands down!

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Wow indeed. That's a phenomenal variety of blooms, and it's only April! As beautiful as every flower is though, I have to admit, none are quite as beautiful as Lola.

Floridagirl said...

Wow, so many blooms! I'll just have to compare notes, for your garden has recovered far quicker than mine. For starters, my cannas were fried, and although the leaves have returned, no blooms yet. :`( As for crinums, only my Queen Emmas have bloomed. No such luck on the others, though their leaves have returned nicely. My Mexican heathers were fried (and I have a lot!), but the leaves have returned and they are still bloomless as well. I've seen no bougie blooms for miles around, but they are beginning to leaf out again. My powderpuffs...same story. Hey, wait! My aloes are in bloom! Woohoo! Your garden has indeed done well.

Floridagirl said...

Oh, and the peacock is sooooooo cool! Love it! And your photos of Lola are awesome! Love that shocked expression.

Noelle Johnson said...

What a plethora of blooms! I love the crinums, hibiscus, lantana - but I must admit that I think Lola steals the spotlight ;-)

Ellada said...

I love the cockatoo, is so cute. I have four small Parakeets, two cats and one dog, in my home.
Bravo for your flowers, they are so beautiful.
In Greece we have to wait a few weeks, to see so many blooms.

Heather at Dusty Bay said...

Oh, I liked your jasmine and your white spider lily but they are all very lovely blooms!

NanaK said...

Lola is indeed a good garden tour guide. You have lots to lift your spirits out in the garden. So many beautiful blooms. That El Capitolio hibiscus is making me rethink my vow to not plant hibiscus again. The peacocks just add to the ambience of your garden and Lola looks like she can handle them.

Kimberly said...

Lola and I are happy everyone likes our blooms. The crinum are my faves while Lola prefers the cannas...she always tries to eat them! The peacock isn't mine (Lola is happy for this) although he lives with his friends across the canal a block away. They can stay over there as they are quite messy and loud. :)

Autumn Belle said...

Your garden is filled with so many pretty blooms of many colours. Happy GBBD!

Katie said...

LOL! Love the birds. Too funny! I think making a story out of bloom day is the way to go :)

Liza said...

Wow! What an incredible garden you have, Kimberly. Thanks so much for sharing!

Larry said...

I'm always amazed by passion flowers! Beautiful photos... thank you... Larry

sb158 said...

You and Lola have a lovely garden!

Lola said...

Just ran across your blog. Pretty flowers. Of course way ahead of mine. I think we live in a hollow or sorts where the temps are different from most of Fl.
Cute bird & a great garden companion.

Ginny said...

What an abundance of blooms! Beautiful!

Steve Asbell said...

Hahaha lola looks pissed! I'm eventually going to get a burgundy variety of that crinum but I'm waiting to find one for a good price. I love those passionflower pics by the way.

bradzio said...

I've never seen crinum lilies before. I really like them. And I really like that passionflower. Ours was the plain old red one. Not too exciting, but it was a gift. Happy bloom day.

The Idiot said...

Peacocks are a proper nuisance. A friend of mine has some and spends all night trying to shut them up, and all day collecting their crap.

Nice blooms, by the way. I love that funky leaf too.

Susan said...

I can't believe how many flowers are back and blooming in your garden already. It's going to be awhile before I see any hibiscus flowers. Enjoy your bounty of beautiful blooms!

Noel Morata said...

aloha kimberly and lola,

i'm so impressed with all the amazing flowers blooming in your garden today, love all the colors and variety especially that really unusual passiflora, that one is quite unique and i am a fan of these various varieties. thanks for sharing that with us and have a great weekend!

Sylvana said...

I love mangoes too!
I am growing a passion vine this year - hopefully. The package claims it will provide edible fruit. We'll see...

Danielles Garden said...

I know those peacocks are a nuisance, but they are so pretty

Meems said...

Hello Kimberly,
What a joy to see so many blooms! Your garden is way of mine in recovery... which makes sense but somehow still amazing to see so many blooms. Thanks to Lola for the great tour. she is very pretty. We had so much trouble with peacocks in our garden last year. I know they are beautiful but what a pain they are tromping all over everything... of course we had 6 of them all at once.

Also wanted to thank you for mentioning Hoe and Shovel in your last post. I have so enjoyed having good Florida company with your blog being added to the blogrolls! It is so great to come to a garden I actually know and am familiar with what is planted. Keep up the good work ... it is a very fun place to visit.

Chandramouli S said...

I am literally wide-eyed, looking at all the beautiful blooms! Lola seems really sweet! You're the first bird-owner/gardener/blogger that I am meeting (First was Tina at In the Garden - I think she has parakeets).
I have two cute lil' budgies myself and am longing for a medium-sized parrot. Someday...