Monday, April 5, 2010

Micro Climates and the Bugs are Buggin' Me!!!

I had a GREAT Easter weekend!!! Family, friends, great food, religious celebrations, the hope of spring and warm weather, etc.  What's more, some of the plants hardest hit from the cold spell showed themselves this weekend!  It was a wonderful start to a wonderful weekend.

This Heliconia is the LONE survivor!!



Unfortunately, I lost two trees that I'd been speaking and singing to since they got smacked by Jack Frost. 

 OK...an educational moment presents itself.  This is an excellent example of micro climates within a small corner lot...I had two healthy coconut palms and two healthy bottle palms.  One bottle and one coconut receive sunlight earlier in the day than the others, and lasts through the majority of the day.  The other two gain sunlight later in the day, but enjoy late afternoon sunlight.  All trees are out in the open without cover from the weather.  This weekend I officially lost my bottle palm out by my mailbox (the base was actually rotting on one side)



and my coconut palm on the front side yard (shaded part of the day by the boat in the driveway). 


I actually cried.  My friends laughed at me.  Not that they are mean, but they don't understand a gardener's hope and passion for their plants.  I was soooo invested in that little bottle palm!!!  Sniff!!!  OK...I'll move on before it gets ugly!!!

Any, as I was saying at the beginning, this was a wonderful weekend.  And some plants really showed up!  Lola and I spotted the first blooms from one of my yellow Fort Meyer Hibiscus.  I didn't take a photo, but it looks like this (taken last year)...



Again, another picture perfect example of micro climates.  Last year, I created "Phase 1" of my front patio garden.  I planted a number of varieties of plants literally in the middle of my front yard, in a horse shoe configuration, that will mature and provide semi-privacy for a new flat stone / mondo grass front patio space.  I planted several hibiscus bushes to grow large and provide some of that privacy.  The yellow "Fort Meyer" variety was planted on both sides of the horse shoe.  The one on the south side is the one that bloomed and is growing back quickly as it has the better/warmer exposure.  The one on the North side is still looking ragged with small leaf buds, let alone flower buds!!! 

I was also surprised by a new bloom on one of my fabulous Queen Emma Crinums (this is my favorite flower) on Easter morning...what a wonderful offering from nature to God on such a day!!!  The sweet perfume matches the glorious colors and contrasts.  I have two of these gorgeous purple specimens and both were hit hard by the cold, thus pruned to a poor representation of their "Queen" title.  However, you can't take royalty away from the true being!!!  Both Queens will prevail in all of their splendor!!!  How lucky I am to have them front and center in my pool scape!



BUT...another downer.  Lola and I were happily inspecting the recovering grounds when I noticed something quite nasty!!!  Caterpillars....having a fabulous Easter feast on my recovering Pink Mandevilla vine. I was mad!  I thought I rid myself of nasty cats when I ousted the ever-so-deadly wolf-in-lamb's-skin, Oleander!!!!  But NO!!!!!!  There were a lot of them!!! 



As Lola and I rounded the corner to investigate the mango, we noticed some beetles that we had to "take care of".  Then we happened upon the illustrious El Capitolio hibiscus (again, micro clime enhanced warm southern exposure next to a fence) that was blooming like it's mid-summer!!  Gorgeous!!! 



THEN...we noticed the BUGS!!!  Yep...little bugs EVERYWHERE!!!!  A HUGE infestation was taking place right under my watch. 


Unacceptable!!!!





What is a girl to do in a moment like this?!   I experienced a moment of weakness.  I reached for my industrial strength, non-environmental, bug killer. 



Before you condemn me, please understand that I am currently trying to become a certified Florida Friendly yard.  Agreed, this moment of weakness will count against me.  I wonder if there's a rehab facility for such addictions?!?!?!   OK...again, I digress.

Anyway, I sprayed the deadly, unacceptably-unenvironmentally-friendly bug killer.  I'm sad and sorry, but those nasty bugs are dead.  I'm sure the good ones are too, and again, I'm ever so sorry for my poor decision.

So, back to the good news.  It was a wonderful, beautiful weekend!  Hooray for spring!!  (I know some of my friends are autumn-bound, but they fully understand my cheer for this season, I know!)


21 comments:

Sylvana said...

You have some very interesting blooms.
I love hibiscus and grow the hardy variety in my garden.
Sorry to hear about you trees. It's always so hard to lose a tree.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly, I am so glad that you had such an enjoyable Easter weekend with family and friends and am sorry to learn that, as far as the garden is concerned, you have been beset with problems. As I have often remarked, When troubles come, they come not single spies but in battalions!

The losses of trees are serious for they leave such a void. A perennial, and even a shrub, is fairly easily replaced and the gap filled. Not so a tree which forms so much part of the backbone and structure of a garden. A major rethink is called for.

As for the bugs! What is one to do? I think that we all wish to work with Nature and protect the environment but just sometimes.....Whatever, do not be down about it. Every cloud, as they say in the well worn cliché, has a silver lining!

Noel Morata said...

aloha kimberly,

why not make a simple pesticide solution with soapy water and very strong peppers that you can let ferment and then spray your plants, i'm sure most of these critters will not enjoy munching on any of your plants afterwards....you can google natural pesticide solutions and still maintain your friendly environment status :) sorry about the palm,if i could ship them to you i would....

Cyndy said...

Oh dear, so sorry about your losses! They do hurt, I know. A dear friend of mine lives in Florida and the bugs are a constant issue for her too - I admire your effort to go green!

The Idiot said...

Go green once the bugs are dead. Sometimes, you have to be bad, just to get the job done!

Nicolezmomma said...

The local garden center carries a spray made out of peppers and other plants. I forget the name, but it makes quick work of those aphids.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Losing plants is always hard to take.

I think I have your Fort Meyer Hibiscus.

It sounds like you had a lovely Easter in spite of plant losses and bugs.

FlowerLady

eric @ my First Garage said...

I agre with the above commentor, about trying out a "green" homemade solution for bug control.

I try to remember that there is always a "bigger fish". Some predator that wants to eat the bugs that are eating your plants. Once you Identify the little critters that are attacking you, find out what eats them, and then encourage those species to come to your garden.

I know all my neighbors use pesticides, and this forces critters to find refuge in my yard. I've planted tons of herbs and spices (which are natural bug repellents) and this does great keeping my yard critter free.

Kimberly said...

Thank you, everyone, for the green alternative of a pepper solution. I'll have to mix it in advance and have it ready in order to curtail my "need" for a quick solution. I'm still in mourning over the loss of my palms, especially my beloved bottle palm. I'm seeking a replacement, although a hardier variety is in order for this particular spot.

NanaK said...

I am sorry for the loss of your palms. But it is so nice to see other plants blooming and growing strong in your garden. That front patio area sounds so nice. I can't wait to see pictures of that this summer when all is full and colorful. Going green is hard, I know, I'm trying to do so myself just as I'm starting with some roses. Just remember your butterflies when you reach for an insecticide.

Steve Asbell said...

What an entertaining post! I'm just picturing lola inspecting all the damage with you. By the way, what kind of heliconia is that?

Floridagirl said...

Kimberly, I have major pest problems on the hibiscus, but have never sprayed with pesticide. There I two methods I employ, depending on how much time I have. (1) Spray everyday with water from a high-pressure nozzle. (2) Leave the pests and watch in amazement as the buds become covered in ladybugs, ladybug larvae, and dozens of assassin bugs. Very cool!

Beware of destroying oleander caterpillars. I always say, if you don't find it on the oleander bush, make sure you identify it carefully, for the gulf fritillary caterpillar looks very similar. I couldn't tell from your photos.

Ami said...

I too use the method #1 that FG mentioned above for the bugs on my gardenia bush. I think that will be a good way if we are not talking about LOTS of bugs.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Kimberly, it is amazing how much micro-climates impact individual plants in a garden. Any time I'd move and get a new garden, I was always so anxious to plant. Now I wait. Get to know the place, the lay of the land, and I've probably saved a number of plant lives by doing that here. Here we have more micro-climates than I imagined one garden could because of our slopes, and hills.

I'm so sorry you lost your bottle and coconut palms. It's so frustrating when you're so invested in helping these plants along, and they wither away despite best efforts.

As for caving and wreaking havoc on your evil bug population. I think we'll just chalk it up to a moment of temporary garden rage. We all have moments of sheer exasperation in the garden. Next time we know you'll reach for the high-pressure hose instead :P

Noelle Johnson said...

Oh Kimberly, I have been known to have weak moments when the bug spray has come out. So far, I have avoided the temptation, but then the bugs have not been too bad. Don't feel too bad :-)

tina said...

Sometimes you just gotta do it. No question about it. Hmmm, rehab for bug killers? You might need a medal as ugly as those little things looked:) Just call that heliconia 'Survivor' from now on.

Maia T said...

I'm sorry for your palm trees and the garden infestation. Your still have some healthy flowers. The photos are amazing.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Kimberly girl you had me going and coming between all of the events happening in your garden !
I understand how you felt about losing those trees .. I lost a beloved Monkshood a few years ago .. it was my first and my most favourite .. it made me think twice about becoming attached to my plants but hell yes ! I love certain plants more than others .. no logical reason why but I bet every gardener has this happen to them (even if they don't want to admit favoring one "child" over another ? hehe) that is why I only had one child .. so I wouldn't DO THAT !! LOL .. Sorry .. I'm so exhausted from our raccoon adventures I am totally silly .. I just wanted to say I understood how you felt .. I try very hard not to use anything stronger than the hose to get rid of pests .. but some times you just have to use a little stronger method
;-) Joy

africanaussie said...

Wow, you had a lot of information on that post, and I am so glad that a lot of your plants are coming back. I like your idea of creating microclimates and planting around rocks and stones will tend to insulate them, and dry them out as I discovered with my herb spiral, so good luck with that. I only use soapy spray or spray with garlic and chiles and it is amazing how effective they can be. It is also worth waiting for the ladybugs to come and have a feed, as they are so lovely. I have nominated you for a hoe and shovel award - keep up the good work, I love your blog.

Laurrie said...

It really is interesting to follow micro climates... every yard has them, and it always surprises me that a plant can do well in one spot in my yard and the same plant kicks the bucket around the corner! Or, just doesn't thrive even if it may live. Interesting post!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It looks like there some ups and downs, really sorry about the two trees! That Hibiscus is such a vibrant yellow, I love it!
I would never judge anyone for using a pesticide, sometimes you do what you need to for your garden. Once we had a plum tree infested with aphids and bought ladybugs to help. I couldn't believe how fast they worked.