Monday, April 12, 2010

Rain Barrel - Just in Time!

At the Going Green Festival in Stuart this year (check out my 2010 Growing Green Festival post), I purchased my first

RAIN BARREL!!!



I'm really excited, as we're sincerely trying to do our part to live a greener, more sustainable lifestyle. I'm also in the process of becoming a certified Florida Friendly yard, so a rain barrel is an important component.  I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I never considered a rain barrel before because I didn't live in a region that experienced drought or water restrictions. Since relocating to Florida, I've become much more aware of escalating climate issues that don't require an entire lifestyle change...just some common courtesy for mother nature.



We ordered our rain barrel from our local extension office and picked it up last week.  Yesterday, after visiting family departed, we installed the barrel.  My husband did the dirty work while I officially supervised, of course!  First we identified an appropriate location.  There's not a lot of "empty" space near the roofline so this corner seemed the best option. The house and the fence help stablize the barrel as well.


A hole is cut on top of the barrel for the downspout.  A "trap" is placed at the top or bottom of the downspout to keep the refuse out.  We put ours at the top, after diligently cleaning out the gutters.  My husband cut the downspout to size.  A flexible extension connects the downspout and the barrel.


The downspout is secured into the opening and gaps are filled to keep out mosquitoes.


We've been warned about the importance of a LEVEL foundation since a full barrel weighs around 400 lbs.


We finished just in time...it started to rain!  The barrel has been christened!! 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kimberly, How exciting! And, speaking from experience as I have a water butt attached to a corner of the Alpine House, it really does work. I find, as you will, the collected rainwater is ideal for watering containers around the garden.

As you say, it is so important to conserve water wherever and whenever possible in these uncertain times of climatic change. You are setting an excellent example which I am sure others will want to follow.

sanddune said...

Way to go Kimberly! Your plants will like the rainwater much better than municipal water as it has none of the purifying chemicals like Chlorine or Bromine in it.

Liza said...

That's great, Kimberly. You should be proud. I love my rain barrels - you won't believe how much water they can capture from a single storm.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

It's a shame we don't have ours yet, as it's been raining all weekend. We just acquired a beautiful rain-chain though that we plan to install on our as-yet-unbuilt shed, and channel that water to a rain barrel for the gardens. Thanks for the reminder that water is really heavy...not sure I would have remembered that the barrel needs a firm packed base to rest on.

Ami said...

Oh, Kimberly, Thanks for a just-in-time post! We just installed rain gutter last week. I have not bought the rain barrel yet, but I am thinking I will get two of them since we have four downspouts. Will ask my husband take a look at this post, so he will know what to do :) Do you mind my asking you how much it costs you? I saw they are quite expensive (some is over $100). Thanks!

debsgarden said...

This is something I have considered but never done. Now that i see how easy it is I will discuss with my husband. I assume the spigot at the bottom works like any, and a hose can be attached to facilitate draining. What kind of water pressure does it have? Let us know how you like it!

Noelle Johnson said...

Oh Kimberley,
How exciting! I really need to start being serious about getting one - I live in an area that receives a little rain....not a lot :-)

Susan said...

I love having a rainbarrel. Most of the time I can water all my potted plants with water from the barrel, and that's a good thing since water is quite expensive these days. Looks like your hubby did a great job installing it.

NanaK said...

I know you will grow to love your rainbarrel. I'm glad to see your hubby took the time to make sure it is level. I have two barrels but had to replace one this year as I did not have it level and it sprang a leak. Just one rain event will fill your barrel and it is the best water a plant can have.

Lona said...

Hi Kimberly. I have had a rain barrel for three years. It really comes in handy for watering containers. The water is the right temperature too so it won't stun the flowers or plants like a hose sometimes does. I live on a very high hill where water wells cost mega bucks so they had cisterns to catch rain water.I have a water well now so I put an overflow hose on my rain barrel so the extra rain water goes to my old cistern. I have a separate tank and pump just for the cistern too so I use all of the rain water for the garden and car washing etc.. As long as it rains I never have to use the well water.
So your rain barrel will come in handy.
Lona

Jayne said...

Aha, this is the post you mentioned :-) I'm sure we'll really appreciate our rain barrels this summer, and our plants will really love it too.

Shyrlene said...

Kimberly - this is so cool, and very inspirational! (I just bought a tumble composter this weekend and my garden pals were asking when was I getting a rain barrel - to complete the 'circle of sustainability'?! I better get with the program.)

The Idiot said...

I'd need about ten of those barrels for one weekend!

Kimberly said...

Ami, my barrel was inexpensive ($35 with all parts included) as I purchased it through my local extension office (Martin County). Yours should have a similar program. You could also make your own via internet instructions...be sure your barrel is food grade quality (chemicals should not have been stored in it previously). There are prettier barrels that are more expensive. Jayne of "Green and Serene" (commented above) has a really pretty barrel that she doesn't have to hide. I'll "decorate" mine with planters and strategically placed foliage, as I do with all my house system equipment. Good luck! Let me know how it goes! I'll keep you updated too!!

Jan said...

Cool! Why not contribute this post to the contest I'm having and I'll add you to the list? Jan

Amy said...

I have been wanting to get one of these. Hopefully, we will get some rain this spring and summer to fill it up! Informative post, thanks!