Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bolivian Sunset

This month's "HOT, LOUD and PROUD" meme,



brought to you by Lola and my good friend, Noel at




features my insanely HOT Bolivian Sunset, ie Gloxinia sylvatica. 



Say What?!?!  Glox what?  OK...it's a gorgeous orange/red hot bloom



with deep green foliage.



Although I grow mine outside in bright, indirect sun, this Bolivian diva can be grown INDOORS for anyone who doesn't enjoy a tropical environment outdoors. 

Southern gardeners growing this red hot specimen outside must keep the soil moist, but not soggy and give it plenty of room as it reaches out in it's ground cover habit. 

Can you believe it's from Bolivia and Peru?  Hmmmm...what gave it away? So Spicy!!!!



The most amazing views are those that show the intricate details of this blazing beauty! (click on the photo to view the peppery, bumpy interior...if you can stand the HEAT!!)



If you're feeling a bit HOT, Spicy, LOUD, Boisterous, and PROUD, head on over to Noel's to taste a bit more of the HEAT!!!


16 comments:

Floridagirl said...

Ooh, I really love that first photo! Very nice setting for Lola to pose in. She is quite photogenic. I did enlarge the photos to see the Bolivian Sunset's bumpy interior. Love details like that!

NanaK said...

That is one very bright flower. The profuse blooms are eye-catching. I just love seeing Lola and she looks so proud, showing off the Bolivian Sunset.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Lola has such good taste, perfect choice for Noel's meme. What a beautiful and fiery plant! I don't have anything blooming hot, loud and proud at the moment. I love the last shot of the real sunset too, the colors are gorgeous!

Jayne said...

That plant is quite beautiful, a perfect choice for the meme. I love the way Lola helps you in the garden, she's such a character :-)

Noelle Johnson said...

Wow! What a great entry. I love the bright color of your Gloxinia. I have to get my entry ready now :-)

Noel Morata said...

aloha kimberly,

gorgeous, i haven't seen this before, its really intense and the colors are amazing.

btw, the linky is set up on my site now so you can enter your post directly on the site...i try to do this early on thursday so its probably your end of thursday :)

Steve Asbell said...

I'm sure the hummingbirds just love that plant! I've always thought that they look like little fishies.

Ami said...

I love this plant, really HOT! Oh, now it is on my wish list!

Susan said...

That is one "hot" looking plant...great color!

Anonymous said...

I meant to say what a cutie Lola is ages ago - I wonder if her voice is as ear splitting as her sulphur-crested cousins?
I love your hot and spicy flower choice - those bright flowers are almost enough to warm me as I sit here typing on a very cool evening!

Noel Morata said...

aloha kimberly,

thanks for trying, i'll change the linky tool for next time...i don't know why i was having some problems with them, the only thing i can think of is if you pasted your complete address and didn't take out the http that was already in the pop up box on the linky, then your web address will not register correctly, it will duplicate http twice.

Town Mouse said...

Wow! Where are my sunglasses!

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

A stunningly beautiful plant. The inside is very intriguing with its bumps and what "knots". Great post and fun to see and read.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Kimberly girl ! PHEW !! I feel the HEAT ;-)
That is one hot gloxinia .. I think I tried growing one once but I over watered ... and you know what happens with that .. it was years ago though , I might be better at it now ? LOL
That is one gorgeous plant though and it certainly rates the HOT button for sure ! .. and what a gorgeous sunset picture !!! BEAUTIFUL !!
Thanks for sticking with trying to make a comment at my blog .. I think it is the template being a new prototype perhaps .. darn it all !
Joy

Ellada said...

HOT Bolivian Sunset,she's a sexy one.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It sure is hot! What a really pretty flower. It reminds me a little of a houseplant I've had called a Lipstick plant.